Chinese Speedplay replacement titanium spindles

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Shrike

by Shrike

Loads of these around, thinking to take a punt on some. Anyone tried them?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Titanium-Ti-P ... 7hXFBzRCYA

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

kode54

by kode54

i've used the J&L titanium spindles with no problems at all. fit is great. i have the #1 style. i swapped out a pair of chromemoly spindles.
- Factor Ostro VAM Disc
- Factor LS Disc
- Specialized Aethos Disc
- Sturdy Ti Allroad Disc
- Guru Praemio R Disc

RyanH

by RyanH

I have the J&L spindles on a pair for the past two years. They're a few grams heavier than the ones from Ward or dulight but that's about it and they come in black.

Shrike

by Shrike

Nice cheers! Going to go for them then :P Maybe save 30g?

Have 56mm spindles atm, so it gives me a chance to go a bit wider, maybe 59mm. Feel my current Q factor is a bit tight, though I've gotten used to it thinking about it now.

2lo8

by 2lo8

It's closer to 50-60g less.
[14lb(6.35kg) of no carbon fiber]
[2lo8.wordpress.com]
Your one-stop source for information and reviews on cheap eBay bike junk.

FLtrooper

by FLtrooper

With the J&L bolts, bow ties, and spindles, you can take the base zeros to around 155 grams..

I have two pairs and very happy :)
:beerchug:

Shrike

by Shrike

@FLtrooper

which made me think.. well then why don't J&L do the whole pedal, i.e. a Speedplay knockoff..

Then I found this!

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEW-Speedplay ... 2525604418

2lo8

by 2lo8

There's been a lot of 0 feedback sellers from China recently who only list one item, usually with stolen auction descriptions.
[14lb(6.35kg) of no carbon fiber]
[2lo8.wordpress.com]
Your one-stop source for information and reviews on cheap eBay bike junk.

Shrike

by Shrike

Yeah noticed that too this week. I actually messaged one about a Philips Hue kit which was below market price to see if it was genuine or not. Reply was comedy randomness:

New message from: tov8638479_6 (0)

Hi, friends,
I have for your shipping products,
I believe the product will bring pleasure.
And I promise you will receive it in 25-35 days,
You know the product is very cheap to sell you.
So we can not provide tracking numbers.
But do not worry about any problems.
We can contact the post office at any time to contact the current arrival position and tell you.
Make sure you will be happy to use.
Thank you

BRM

by BRM

Loads of topics about Speedplay aftermarket spindles.
No need for another topic. Read the existing ones. All is already set and done.
Stop this needless, senseless approach!

sussexhills

by sussexhills

I got some J&L ones and some non branded ones. Just a warning that the J&Ls were specified at a longer spindle length (61mm) but when they arrived they were normal length with a thick metal washer which brought the pedals outboard by the additional length. I rode these for about 100 miles and noticed the washer seriously deformed around the spindle on my SRAM Red cranks, so much that I couldn't remove over the threads so had to cut them off with pincers.

The non branded ones seem fine but instead of arriving in black they have an iridescent 'oil slick' finish. I did have a pedal body come completely off the spindle while climbing last week though, took them apart yesterday and put loads more blue loctite in the threads as was probably a bit conservative before.
Last edited by sussexhills on Wed May 24, 2017 12:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.

vneilv

by vneilv

sussexhills wrote:I got some J&L ones and some non branded ones. Just a warning that the J&Ls were specified at a longer spindle length (61mm) but when they arrived they were normal length with a thick metal washer which brought the pedals outboard by the additional length. I rode these for about 100 miles and noticed the washer seriously deformed around the spindle on my SRAM Red cranks, so much that I couldn't remove over the threads so had to cut them off with pincers.

The non branded ones seem fine but instead of arriving in black they have an iridescent 'oil slick' finish. I did have a pedal body come completely off the spindle while climbing last week though, took them apart yesterday and put loads more blue loctite in the threads as was probably a bit conservative before.

When I swapped axles for the ti ones I bought the Speedplay small parts kit which came with new bolts with the blue thread lock already on them. I'd take the pedals apart a few times before so felt it would make sense to use new bolts.

Shrike

by Shrike

@sussexhills I spotted some non-branded ones on aliexpress, but they're all longer length ie. 71mm +, shame because they're really cheap! Like 24 dollars cheap :P

@BRM no-one takes advice from some sad case that still makes homophobic 'fag' jokes. Any decent forum would have banned your weird ass by now. Wish we had a block function here. Too many nuts on the web :lol:

BRM

by BRM

Stick with the facts.
Again there is plenty of information around titinium spindles on this forum.
But because I tell you don't want to listen. You have something against my person.

This forum is unorganised as hell and people like you only make it worse.
For the sake of this forum and to make it more useful, people like you need to be stopped.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Shrike

by Shrike

No BRM, I think you'll find that people like you, homophobic spammers, make it worse.

Quit the spamming. And quit the 'fag' comments. If the forum host see your comments they can get the forum shut down. Now clear off and get your attention somewhere else.