Chinese Speedplay replacement titanium spindles

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

exFictitiouZ

by exFictitiouZ

I bought ones from Rockbros and their manufacturing tolerance isn't up there. One of the spindle could not fit into 137z bearing. I had to file it down and that was a chore. 1,000 kilometres or so later, my needle bearing HK1010 on that same pedal was screwed (all the 'needles' fell off, needle grooves obliterated). Not sure if directly related to poor fitment since the initial issue was with the segment in contact with bearing 137z. Nevertheless, I'd shy away from them.

In the picture attached, you can clearly see that the spindle could not go all the way in. The part shaded red should be inside the pedal body. After careful measurement with vernier caliper, the segment in contact with bearing 137z was 0.1mm thicker than the one that went in.
Attachments
_DSC8857.jpg

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Shrike

by Shrike

@ ex, when I was looking around I saw other people had that issue too.. kinda put me off them. Did you get you try for a refund? Maybe so cheap you didn't care.. :P

exFictitiouZ

by exFictitiouZ

@Shrike, I didn't bother. At that time I just bodged it in. 1,000 km later though, I wish I did. Blah.
Do J&L's have this problem? Ward seem to charge a lot for shipping so I'm a bit reluctant...

BRM

by BRM

People wants parts of advanced materials, expect highest grade but dont want to pay for it . . .

The shipping prices for Ward were Always (dunno for sure it changed)
$5.65 for USA and $24.05 International

Besides the hiigh grade in titinium and production tolerances the Biggest advance of the Ward spindles is the availability in diff lenghts.
72.4mm,
76.2mm (stock ti spindle length)
78.6mm (stock stainless and CroMoly length)
82.55mm
85.8mm.
91.8mm

All this and more information is already on the forum in the known spindle topics.

There is only one right route for a forum and that is to keep information around a subject centralized.
This topic causes that information get splintered on the forum.

Noone benefits from splintered information in multiple topics.
People benefit to find all important info and discussion on the same place.

Time to rethink.

exFictitiouZ

by exFictitiouZ

@BRM I wish WW promote you to a moderator. Duplicate threads closed. Threads merged. All things centralised. Nice and tidy.

On the topic of J&L, I'm not asking for the best thing. Best metal strength, best customer relation: no, not really. Just something that works will do. And oh I've used the search function too. Information on J&L is a little sparse, so I ask publicly so maybe someone would chime in, just like I did with Rockbros for OP.

Tmk

by Tmk

Workswell 095 complete. 15.2lbs without pedals!
Attachments
Workswell 095
Workswell 095

CycloTron

by CycloTron

I have done the same would highly recommend one of the mentioned American outfits.
The reason that info is sparse on the interwebs is because there have been legal issues with Speedplay.
But if you look hard enough, you'll be able to find them.

jaypee

by jaypee

BRM wrote:People wants parts of advanced materials, expect highest grade but dont want to pay for it . . .

The shipping prices for Ward were Always (dunno for sure it changed)
$5.65 for USA and $24.05 International

Besides the hiigh grade in titinium and production tolerances the Biggest advance of the Ward spindles is the availability in diff lenghts.
72.4mm,
76.2mm (stock ti spindle length)
78.6mm (stock stainless and CroMoly length)
82.55mm
85.8mm.
91.8mm

All this and more information is already on the forum in the known spindle topics.

There is only one right route for a forum and that is to keep information around a subject centralized.
This topic causes that information get splintered on the forum.

Noone benefits from splintered information in multiple topics.
People benefit to find all important info and discussion on the same place.

Time to rethink.

To follow up on BRM's post, Ward still going strong.
Current shipping costs $6.90 for USA, $25 to Canada and $34.00 International
Received my spindles today, 9 days to the UK.
Both product and service have been excellent

pachag

by pachag

Hello,

I'm looking for a long spindle for my speedplay zero in order to remove my knees stress. Do you know where I can find a 91.8mm ?
There is this one but maybe I could find a chinese version less exprensive ? http://www.dulight.fr/en/home/647-speedplay-zero-titanium-spindles-superlong.html

spookyload

by spookyload

I have a set of X-series spindles that are the 1/4" extension version available. I sold the pedals, but kept the spindles. They are stainless and direct from Speedplay.

TarugoKing

by TarugoKing

pachag wrote:Hello,

I'm looking for a long spindle for my speedplay zero in order to remove my knees stress. Do you know where I can find a 91.8mm ?
There is this one but maybe I could find a chinese version less exprensive ? http://www.dulight.fr/en/home/647-speedplay-zero-titanium-spindles-superlong.html

eBay

sussexhills

by sussexhills

TarugoKing wrote:Image

Careful, I ordered longer Ti J&L spindles on eBay and normal length ones turned up with a couple of thick spacers. The spacers were such soft metal garbage that they bent after using once with pedals so they had to be cut off with cable cutters.

TarugoKing

by TarugoKing

sussexhills wrote:Careful, I ordered longer Ti J&L spindles on eBay and normal length ones turned up with a couple of thick spacers. The spacers were such soft metal garbage that they bent after using once with pedals so they had to be cut off with cable cutters.

GTK! The J&L with standard length I use on my 2 bikes, no complains there. It's absurd that they are using spacers on the longer ones. Would really like to see a picture on how the did that.

Anyway, below is my before and after (standard length).

pachag

by pachag

sussexhills wrote:
Careful, I ordered longer Ti J&L spindles on eBay and normal length ones turned up with a couple of thick spacers. The spacers were such soft metal garbage that they bent after using once with pedals so they had to be cut off with cable cutters.

Consequently, this option isn't good for long spindles.. It's just adapted to normal length (78mm). :|

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

SampsC50

by SampsC50

Bought the non branded ones which seemed fine. Replaced my cr-mly axles and saved a lot of weight. However, they are not marked with left and right so i accidentally put the left axel on the right pedal and vice versa. Of course i notice this when trying to screw them in the crank arms, but now one of the pedals are stuck on the axle, and i mean really stuck! Tried punding the with a rubber hammer and so on and are now starting to lose hope...
Trek Madone 9 Project One
Colnago C50 PR11

Ex: Eddie Merckx EMX-7, Colnago Master, Rose Pro SL Carbon