3T handlebars with stem imprint. Safe to ride?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Mep

by Mep

These are a pair of 3T Ergonova Ltd less than a year old. Torqued below spec at 5Nm. I noticed after a ride today that there appears to be depressions on the handlebar where the stem is. On the bottom you can see it causes a crease as well but no cracks.

This is from regular riding, no crashes so I'm not totally sure how this happened. What do you think? Safe or unsafe to ride?

Last edited by Mep on Mon May 22, 2017 1:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

fogman

by fogman

My 3T Ergonova Team Stealth Carbon handlebar has that same imprint and possibly some cracks going laterally from the imprint. It is only 3 months old. My LBS took some pictures and sent them to 3T to see if they will do a warranty replacement. Image

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It's all downhill from here, except for the uphills.

kookie

by kookie

I have two 3T Ergonova Team bars both with the same type of imprint from the stem. Seems to be pretty common. Been riding with them for years with the the imprint.

mentok

by mentok

Another one here. I have 2 sets, both with the same imprints. Personally not too concerned

tommasini

by tommasini

fogman wrote:My 3T Ergonova Team Stealth Carbon handlebar has that same imprint and possibly some cracks going laterally from the imprint. It is only 3 months old. My LBS took some pictures and sent them to 3T to see if they will do a warranty replacement. Image

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Is it me or does it look like the left side gap is tighter than the right?.....thus a reason for a crack to start? I have 3 of the 3t ltd bars and all have a small depression "imprint" of the stem clamp area in the clear coat. No problems, not surprising either.

BeeSeeBee

by BeeSeeBee

There was another thread here not too long ago about the same issue.
Raoul Luescher did a video about it as well:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HZwhHRazjK8

Mep

by Mep

kookie wrote:I have two 3T Ergonova Team bars both with the same type of imprint from the stem. Seems to be pretty common. Been riding with them for years with the the imprint.

When you guys see the imprints, do you also have weird creases forming?

If it were just imprints of the stem I might feel better about it. The crease (see bottom section of photo in the first post) makes me a little uneasy.

Mep

by Mep

That video makes it look like there are some serious design miscalculations with the 3T Ergonovas.

kookie

by kookie

Mep wrote:
kookie wrote:I have two 3T Ergonova Team bars both with the same type of imprint from the stem. Seems to be pretty common. Been riding with them for years with the the imprint.

If it were just imprints of the stem I might feel better about it. The crease (see bottom section of photo in the first post) makes me a little uneasy.

Not 100% sure what "creases" are in your picture...Is that the vertical "line" going down the middle (starting from 'design') or the diagonal line. One of my stems has a small diagonal line similar to your second picture ~2mm in length right where the face plate and stem meet.

Edit: creases like in "folds", in that case no. If you feel uncomfortable, replace the handlebar.
Last edited by kookie on Mon May 22, 2017 2:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

commendatore

by commendatore

A friend of mine moved a used set of 3T bars and stem onto his gravel bike and installed the bars at a slightly different angle. On rough sections, his bars would drop down and "pop" into the imprint.

PSM

by PSM

Mep wrote:That video makes it look like there are some serious design miscalculations with the 3T Ergonovas.

Yep. Crap. No more 3T for me. Possibly alu bar.

kookie

by kookie

Here is a picture of one of my 3T Erognova bars. I've ridden with this for 4+ years now.

The circle on the left doesn't look as bad as it looks. My other bar has a similar indent too.

Mep

by Mep

kookie wrote:
Mep wrote:

Not 100% sure what "creases" are in your picture...Is that the vertical "line" going down the middle (starting from 'design') or the diagonal line. One of my stems has a small diagonal line similar to your second picture ~2mm in length right where the face plate and stem meet.

Edit: creases like in "folds", in that case no. If you feel uncomfortable, replace the handlebar.

It's the diagonal line right above the 3T logo. Thanks for the photo of your bars. Definitely looks more pronounced than mine!

ms6073

by ms6073

kookie wrote:The circle on the left doesn't look as bad as it looks. My other bar has a similar indent too.

When I had 3T bars and stem on my TT bike, I always assumed those wrinkles/creases were from an overlay with the 3T logo that was wrinkling under the clearcote.
- Michael
"People should stop expecting normal from me... seriously, we all know it's never going to happen"

fh8425

by fh8425

Previously had a 3t aeronova with extralite stem, torque at recommended value, have pinch mark also. Can't tell if crack or not.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com