Campy drive train problems

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

DeLuz

by DeLuz

I have Cannondale EVO I bought about 2 years ago. It came with Shimano 105 but I replaced everything with Campy Chorus 11 speed.
Although I always liked Campy I never liked this group from day one, the shifting is inconsistent and it would always jump when shifting up from the fourth to third cog on the cassette.
Recently things got much worse and it wouldn't even stay in any gear. A friend of mine who is a frame builder and wizard at bicycles told me he didn't like Campy 11 speed either and changed his cassette to Shimano DA courtesy of a Shimano rep. So I just changed mine to DA and while things are better I am still having issues. When I am riding there is a notchy feeling coming from the drive chain and sometimes a clunk sound, this problem was worse with the Campy cassette and started happening in the last month. The chain is a KMC X11SL and it does have some miles on it but still good when I used my chain checker on it. I am myself an experienced bike mechanic but I am perplexed what is causing this. I know I lot of people will say the derailleur hanger is bent but the bike has never been dropped. Thanks for any advice.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

RussellS

by RussellS

DeLuz wrote:I know I lot of people will say the derailleur hanger is bent but the bike has never been dropped.

So what. You check the rear derailleur hanger alignment as standard procedure. At least if there is any shifting issue. You ASSume the bike maker made the derailleur hanger perfectly straight when it left the factory? You claim to be an experienced bike mechanic? Ha Ha.

DeLuz

by DeLuz

RussellS wrote:
DeLuz wrote:I know I lot of people will say the derailleur hanger is bent but the bike has never been dropped.

So what. You check the rear derailleur hanger alignment as standard procedure. At least if there is any shifting issue. You ASSume the bike maker made the derailleur hanger perfectly straight when it left the factory? You claim to be an experienced bike mechanic? Ha Ha.

OK that is fair. I don't have the tools to check it myself so I guess I need to take it to the shop.

bikerjulio

by bikerjulio

RD alignment as Russell says. It's often off.

followed by cabling problem, and height adjustment.

Recently things got much worse and it wouldn't even stay in any gear

That's really weird though. I've had the freehub come loose on a non-campy hub. So that there was some side to side movement of the cassette.
There's sometimes a buggy.
How many drivers does a buggy have?

One.

So let's just say I'm drivin' this buggy...
and if you fix your attitude you can ride along with me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GekiIMh4ZkM

russianbear

by russianbear

"I can't set it up, so I don't like it." lol Your frame building friend sure sounds interesting.

Some things to check:

-hanger alignment as mentioned
-p screw adjustment (is the upper pulley hitting the biggest rear cog?)
-are the housing and cables in good conditions? Stick to Campy housing or segmented works too, it's "stiffer" than stock bulk stuff.
-when you or whoever installed the group, did you make sure to NOT put ferrules on the shift housing going into the shifter?
-sounds like the shifting issues are in the rear, so are the cables and guides routed correctly under bb?
-do you ride in the rain a lot or wash your bike a bunch? maybe the shifters need to be relubed <-- Unlikely
-issues in the middle of the cassette are typically cable tension related

Some off the wall guesses as to why it may have recently gotten worse:

-someone bumped your rear derailleur when you weren't looking or you did loading/unloading your bike; it's easy to say "I never did xyz" but we never remember every moment

-a nasty shift can bend a hanger as well, some manufacturers are notorious for cheese strength hangers

-cable slipped from under the cable bolt

Examine page 7 of this document: https://www.campagnolo.com/media/files/ ... _09_14.pdf

An out of order spacer could be exacerbating other minor issues. Although what you're describing sounds like a more major problem.
Last edited by russianbear on Sun May 21, 2017 11:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bikerjulio

by bikerjulio

I'm agreeing with the Russian as well

I never liked this group from day one, the shifting is inconsistent and it would always jump when shifting up from the fourth to third cog on the cassette

This just sounds like a poor install that needs to be redone. With Campy cables and following the instructions.
There's sometimes a buggy.
How many drivers does a buggy have?

One.

So let's just say I'm drivin' this buggy...
and if you fix your attitude you can ride along with me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GekiIMh4ZkM

DeLuz

by DeLuz

I did the install myself, have done it with many time with Shimano, SRAM never had problems like this.
All the cables, housing, etc came with the shifters.
Thanks for all the feedback, going to take to a shop where the mechanic is a good friend I am sure he will figure it out.

Mr.Gib

by Mr.Gib

I never condemn the function of a particular groupset until I have tested it with a derailleur hanger that I know is straight, a brand new correct chain, and a brand new cassette, (and if I am worried about front shifting, new chain rings). It is essential that these items be eliminated as potential causes of problems to allow for proper troubleshooting.

By correct chain, I mean one the is designed to match the cassette. FWIW I have seen mention that KMC should not be used with Campy. Something about the square edges of the outer plates catching on the FD.
wheelsONfire wrote: When we ride disc brakes the whole deal of braking is just like a leaving a fart. It happens and then it's over. Nothing planned and nothing to get nervous for.

AJS914

by AJS914

Changing your cassette to Dura Ace isn't going to accomplish anything. They are actually almost identically spaced.

When rear shifting is inconsistent, it means that you have drag in the cables somewhere. There are little brass washers inside the ergo levers that act as cables stops. Make sure they are still there. When you cut the cable housing, make sure the cuts are perfectly flat. File the ends flat and ream out the teflon liner so that the cable slides perfectly. Don't cut the housings too short. When installing the cables into the levers don't kink the cable. The kink inside the housing will cause drag.

My first 11 speed install was one of those ones that was never right. I finally redid it, doing every step methodically, and it was perfect after that.

Also, I had been using KMC chains for years on 10 speed. I finally switched to a Chorus change and it was significantly quieter.

DeLuz

by DeLuz

So after some more thought, I think the problem might be a wheel bearing. Because the of what I feel and hear seems to be consistent with that.
I might just pop in some new bearings and see if that helps. I don't really remember the last time they were changed.

I guess I should not blame the Campy cassette, but will see how the DA compares.

mattr

by mattr

Have you checked the drop out yet?

Last time i worked in a shop, doing high end builds/pre-delivery inspections, we'd find that around a third of all frames would come from the factory with bent hangers......

spud

by spud

lots of Campy experience out there - the stuff works well. I'm riding a campy chain on SRAM cassette, and everything works nicely. As above, do a thorough work through on the cable routing and hanger, that will take care of it, assuming the cluster is tight and the bearings in the freehub aren't shot.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

2lo8

by 2lo8

I never had major problems with KMC and Campy (C10) but maybe I just don't remember how buttery smooth the original Campy chain was.
[14lb(6.35kg) of no carbon fiber]
[2lo8.wordpress.com]
Your one-stop source for information and reviews on cheap eBay bike junk.