Giant D-Fuse Seatpost Weights

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

michael1984

by michael1984

Hi all.

I currently have a 2016 Giant TCX SLR 2 but have damaged the seatpost ('D-Fuse SL Composite', I don't know the part number) and need to replace it. Giant have told me that the D-Fuse seatposts are interchangeable, so I have the below options to upgrade:

- Carbon D-Fuse Seatpost, Advanced Pro (17215OB0008A1) - £110

- Carbon D-Fuse Seatpost, Advanced (G15SP1-502) - £45

Can't find any weights online, does anyone know the total weights (post + clamp + nut) for these, or could maybe check for me?

I've made a good few upgrades and got the weight down by almost 2kg from stock, so keen to see if any further weight savings in the seatpost would be worth the extra spend. Thanks!

jeffy

by jeffy

from memory the SL - including clamp came out as ~215g i remember thinking it was not too bad considering it is proprietary.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

achiu

by achiu

The weight of the SL sounds about right and the cheaper one is about 80g heavier. Also note that the cheaper one uses a rail clamp that has fixed notches for saddle angle adjustment with each step being about 4 degrees. The SL one uses a horizontal bolt and is infinitely adjustable.

baaahwur

by baaahwur

I know it is a bit off topic - but how did you manage to reduce the weight of the TCX SLR 2 by almost 2 kg? I own the same bike, and I'm not impressed by the weight.

Thanks

P90Puma

by P90Puma

baaahwur wrote:I know it is a bit off topic - but how did you manage to reduce the weight of the TCX SLR 2 by almost 2 kg? I own the same bike, and I'm not impressed by the weight.

Thanks

I have the 2014 (2016 kinda) version and have shaved off ~2kg as well, the stock wheels are boat anchors was the biggest change. Also saved a bit with saddle, 6700 groupset, carbon handlebar, lighter stem, etc.

Only thing stock left is the seatpost, brakes, and shifters. Even the frame/fork were replaced by giant after it cracked ~ 9000km.

Here's what it looks like in cross mode:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/J5uA78uFsms83TCD3

For my 2014 model it came with the SL seatpost, which is the lightest they make.

baaahwur

by baaahwur

Looks good, thanks for your feedback - I'm a bit tired by the D-shaped seatpost, puts a bit of a restraint on the build

ztbishop

by ztbishop

I picked up a 2016 TCX SLR2, got a good deal used. I put some WTB Resolute 700x42 on to help smooth out the gravel rides and it still has plenty of clearance. My next upgrade after I get a fit will be a redshift Shockstop stem.
Regarding the seatpost I'm extremely bummed that I can't put any 3rd party posts in this. I have serious doubts that the D shape is doing anything that would be noticible without high pressure in the tires (I could be wrong).
My bike came with the cheaper of the two seatposts. Would the more expensive seatpost give any further real-world benefit in terms of smoothing the ride out and getting the angle extremely dialed in? I don't care about the weight savings.
Giant makes it literally impossible to find any real details on the specs or even the models, but I found this page that sells both.
https://bicyclewarehouse.com/products/g ... 1676421514

There is the SL which is carbon. ....then the 'COMP', which I'd assume would still have to be some type of carbon? (The cheaper comp is what I have).
The TCX specs state it is Comp SL. Like I said, Giant does a terrible job at making their parts details available.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com