My gripes with the 2017 Cannondale Evo Himod with 9100

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

synthesis

by synthesis

Cannondale did not change the cable routing, so the cable from frame to rear mech is 7cm "long" resulting in a best case, bend housing worst broke housing. 1- 2 wheel changes in race, and your shifting is crap.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

wingguy

by wingguy

We've sold quite a few of these bikes (the black and silver with R9100 and Ksyrium carbons), and have 6 supplied to our race team which have done thousands of miles each already and haven't had a single problem with the rear mech cable.

Are you using the right outer?

evan326

by evan326

Give me yours.

synthesis

by synthesis

Nokon, don´t work liner brakes. Haven´t got our Jagwire sponsored cables yet. Love the bike for it´s ride and weight, but all 28 team bikes has the problem.

liam7020

by liam7020

Am I missing something here? At worse it's a 20 minute job to change the cable if it really needs doing.
Tarmac SL6 & Campag Record EPS https://weightweenies.starbike.com/foru ... 0&t=153968

"Sometimes you don't need a plan. You just need big balls." Tom Boonen

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

synthesis wrote:Nokon, don´t work liner brakes. Haven´t got our Jagwire sponsored cables yet. Love the bike for it´s ride and weight, but all 28 team bikes has the problem.

Got some pics? As @Winguy asked, are you using the supplied derailleur housing cable for the rear derailleur (comes in the box with the rear derailleur and is different that the piece supplied in the standard cable set). It is unique and different, with the steel wound inside like a brake cable housing versus a typical derailleur housing.

Also, having installed a few 9100 systems lately, removing a rear wheel can be problematic with the new 9100 derailleur. You need a lot more space between the bottom bracket and the tire to be able to move the wheel forward a good amount for easy removal. Despite some rumors that the new derailleur, with it's little extension thingy in lieu of a direct mount hanger, makes for easier wheel removal, this is simply not the case with a lot of existing road bikes it seems. It does allow the use of a larger cassette, but once again... road bikes are not mountain bikes. Shorter chainstays and/or lots of material around the rear of the BB can make for much more difficult wheel removals than with the 9000 series stuff. One frame that had I had no issues with is the Trek Emonda, due to it's great clearance all round the entire wheel, including the bottom bracket area. Another frame, but same setup, was not so lucky and proved to be a real pain in the ass for wheel removal due to the large amount of material behind the bottom bracket. Maybe in your case it's a combination of the new 9100 stuff in conjunction with the Cannondale frame. I haven't checked out the Cannondale frames in any detail with respect to how the new 9100 stuff works with it, but sounds like it may not be so great.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

nemeseri

by nemeseri

I do own this bike and during its first trip to one of the best shops in the area, the mechanic guy's first job was to replace the cable housing for the rear derailleur. Although I didn't notice any problem with the stock housing, he insisted that it might have caused issues later.
Good to know he was right.

wingguy

by wingguy

synthesis wrote:Nokon, don´t work liner brakes. Haven´t got our Jagwire sponsored cables yet.

Unless I'm missing something here, if you're not using the cable outer that is specifically made by Shimano for that job, then it's your fault :noidea:

(Although, if Cannondale didn't build the bikes with the right cable outer in that section it is also their fault - just not from a bike design point of view. There's nothing wrong with the frame.)

Love the bike for it´s ride and weight, but all 28 team bikes has the problem.

Sounds like you need 28 sections of OT-RS900.

menkar

by menkar

I installed a 9100 on my Evo Himod. I used all the parts that came in the box, followed the directions that came in the box to the letter, cut the cable to the length shown in my attached pic, and it works perfectly. Wheel changes are not a problem at all (the special cable housing is much more flexible than the stock).
Attachments
IMG_20170520_193110994a.jpg

dereksmalls

by dereksmalls

Wow, that's short arse housing!

synthesis

by synthesis

Well then it´s no freaking wonder it shifts like crap. I was not involved in the initial setup of the bikes, I got hired to service and clean bikes a while in to the season. Cables are on the way, lets hope they will not have to many troubles in Tour de Fjords. Thanks guys.

jeffy

by jeffy

@Calnago I interpreted the "easier wheel removal / install" was with a direct mount hanger. not surprised the direct->standard knuckle makes no difference.

wingguy

by wingguy

But the upper pulley will still be in the same place (way further forward than normal) whether you use a DM or standard hanger, right? Isn't that the bit that's making life more difficult?

(Could be wrong, haven't really payed around with it.)

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

Yes. The new derailleur has a "B-link". I call it the "extension thingy". But all the b-link does is put the derailleur in the position in space (using a normal hanger) that Shimano wants it to be. With a direct hanger you would remove the "b-link" from the derailleur as it would no longer be necessary. But on many road frames the new 9100 rear derailleur is going to make wheel removal much more difficult. I can't think of any circumstance where it will make it easier. Whether you use it with a normal hanger (and the b-link), or a direct mount hanger (without the b-link), this will not change. If you've got a frame with a "thick" bottom bracket and not much room to move the rear wheel forward, this is the most problematic situation. If you have lots of room up front, then not really a problem at all once you do it a couple of times.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com