Cracked my Supersix hi mod

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

tarmackev

by tarmackev

Trying to get the old creaking bearings out that had been stuck in with medium strength loctite as recommended by Cannondale.
I had to brace the BB and when I'd pushed the wheels threaded BB in I realised there was a chunk out of the BB.
I'm devastated, I will continue to ride it until it's repaired in a week or so.
On close inspection it's more of a chip, I'll just keep a close eye on it and hope it doesn't get worse.

Any opinions, views, thoughts, help or advice is much appreciated!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Last edited by tarmackev on Thu Jan 11, 2024 7:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.

froze

by froze

I think if I had a CF bike I would put frame protection strips on places most likely to suffer damage, like this: http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/us/e ... prod148119

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

The chip looks like it's on the chainstay versus where the BB would interface with the frame. Just curious what you were doing when it cracked/chipped like that. I'm presuming the chipped area is where the frame was braced? Do you know which retaining compound was used? What tool were you using to remove the existing BB. Only advice upon removing something installed with retaining compound is to 1) use the right tool for removal, and 2) don't be afraid to impart a hard solid impact to break the bond. But if you're going to brace it, make sure the bracing point is supported evenly so as to spread the force from the impact over a larger area. Before reinstalling, use an exacto knife to scrape away remaining bits of hardened retaining compound from the BB shell.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

BikeAnon

by BikeAnon

Is it being replaced under warranty?

If it was being serviced according to Cannondale's documented procedures, the crack is a factory defect.

Did you buy this bike new from an authorized dealer, and have you spoken to the dealer about this yet?

NiFTY

by NiFTY

That looks like it has nothing to do with bb being knocked out, looks like a clearcoat chip imo.
Evo 4.9kg SL3 6.64kg Slice RS 8.89kg viewtopic.php?f=10&t=110579" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

ParisCarbon

by ParisCarbon

As long as you have your receipt, warranty should cover.. My EVO cracked along the back of the fork drop out and in 3 weeks I had a brand new F/F

wingguy

by wingguy

Sorry to see that - but how on earth were you 'bracing' it that woud have resulted in damage there? :unbelievable:

goodboyr

by goodboyr

Just wondering why this would even qualify as a manufacturer warranty item. You clearly damaged it through your own actions.

wingguy

by wingguy

BikeAnon wrote:If it was being serviced according to Cannondale's documented procedures, the crack is a factory defect.

IMO I think it's pretty clear that it wasn't :shock:

Crazy the amount of people these days that think a warranty is the solution for abuse, neglect or incompetence. That's what insurance is for, not warranty.

tarmackev

by tarmackev

Not warrantying it, I was using a park tool bearing remover and the workshop tool that we use to brace a bb when two guys holding it in a stand doesn't work.
I'd say I've done well over a hundred BB30's, press fit bottom brackets and the only one that breaks.
Loctite 609 medium strength was used to hold the bearings in but it wasn't the bearings it was the cups. They were ungodly tight.
I'm guessing as it's a 2013 frame and they've never been removed that some bonding between the carbon and alloy had taken place.
The load was spread as evenly as possible around the bb area.
I've never had to use so much force to get press fit cups out.
Even using the correct tools and doing things as carefully as possible you get occasional issues.
It's really not a warranty as the frame didn't fail, it's just unfortunate circumstances.

The frame is now heading to be repaired, I'm sure it was fine to ride but I couldn't really live with it like that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

tarmackev wrote:...
Even using the correct tools and doing things as carefully as possible you get occasional issues...

This is so true. Sorry it happened to you. The good thing is that Loctite 609 does what it's supposed to do when properly applied, that is to hold the PF cups in place in order to prevent the awful creaking from movement. The bad thing is that there is some risk when removing the cups. I agree that it is awkward to brace the frame well enough to get a good solid hit on the cups, even with the proper tool. I do that job with the wheels on the bike, leaned over against a wall. It is a bit disconcerting to be hitting it that hard for sure, but it is what works for me. Alas, I miss the threaded BB's. I know, I know... I'm such a Luddite.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

lilyishere

by lilyishere

wingguy wrote:
Tue May 23, 2017 9:18 am
BikeAnon wrote:If it was being serviced according to Cannondale's documented procedures, the crack is a factory defect.
IMO I think it's pretty clear that it wasn't :shock:

Crazy the amount of people these days that think a warranty is the solution for abuse, neglect or incompetence. That's what insurance is for, not warranty.FM Whatsapp
I think it can be replaced or repaired under warranty service, doesn't it? And more on it is a factory defect then it should be repaired by the brand itself. What do you think :?:

kode54

by kode54

I probably would’ve left the cups in and just swapped the bearings. A friends Cervelo R5 had cups fused or galled in so I just replaced the bearings which came out of the BB cups. I was a bit nervous that the BB area could’ve cracked with tons of pressure so I backed off of it.
- Factor Ostro VAM Disc
- Factor LS Disc
- Specialized Aethos Disc
- Sturdy Ti Allroad Disc
- Guru Praemio R Disc

Ranger052

by Ranger052

Same happened to a Cervelo S5 I had. I was unable to remove the BB and took it to the store and it cracked when they pushed it hard. It was a Cervelo Bbright. Cervelo replaced the frame under warranty. I sold the new frame back to the same store for MSRP lol! Riding Ti now.

charirider

by charirider

Lol, on SS Cannondale recommend to press as is, no compounds or grease should be applied. Just dry clean surface.
I personally apply a small amount of Wacos Brake Protector just in case.
2018 Cannondale SuperSix EVO 2 rim size 56 (raw stripped) 6.9kg
2014 Bridgestone Anchor CX6 Equipe size 55 (cyclocross) 9.8kg

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com