Campagnolo Post Mount Disc Work Around

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

morrisond

by morrisond

Not perfect - but it appears as though Magura MT6 Calipers use all the same technology as Campy - which makes sense as they are Making Campy's Calipers.

They use the same fluid as well.

From a review on MT6's - sounds just like a Campy Caliper. I would bet Campy pads fit right in as well.

The forged single-piece aluminum caliper uses a double arch design, just like their forks, and the shape optimizes the caliper’s strength in the direction that encounters the largest load forces, and they also absorb heat, and dissipate it away from the main body. The upper or front fin does the oil transfer between the sides of the caliper, which should provide an additional cooling of the fluid? Their stiffening effect, means that the calipers can be machined further, to remove any unnecessary material for a significant weight saving. The caliper uses top-loading pads, for what they call EPR or easy pad replacement, so the wheel doesn’t need to be removed for changes. The caliper has PM mounts, an adjustable hose fitting, and uses two Duroplastic injection molded composite pistons for less heat transfer to the brake fluid, and the pistons have an embedded magnet for brake pad attachment. The organic pads come in two models, the default 7.1 semi-metallic performance versions for maximum power, or the optional 7.2 endurance version for longevity.

Calipers are about 75 Euros each. - A lot cheaper than a new frame though!

jeffy

by jeffy

>Calipers are about 75 Euros each

and what's the price for the Campag?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

morrisond

by morrisond

jeffy wrote:and what's the price for the Campag?

A lot... List is 780 Euro for Potenza levers/Calipers, 980 Euro for H11 Carbon Levers/Calipers - street price should be 25-35% less.

I doubt we will be able to buy just the Levers - we will have to keep the Calipers for later when you upgrade to a Flat Mount Frame.

It's not like I haven't bought parts to rip them apart before to make something new.

Like the time I bough a Complete set of i9 wheels as I wanted the Straight Pull Hubs(they don't sell them separately) to build into some ENVE 3.4 Disc Rims

Or last year when I wanted to run 11-32 SR on my Gravel bike and bought a complete Potenza Long Cage RD just for the longer cages to put on my SR RD (The Potenza stuff was too new to buy individual parts).

This hobby is expensive for early adopters.

I'm still hoping Campy reverses itself and makes PM but at least I have a back up plan.

corky

by corky

Are you sure they are making the calipers for Campagnolo?.....they were involved in the design, but manufacture?

morrisond

by morrisond

i thought I read they were - but I would be stunned if they weren't at least making the internal parts.

Francois_Viviers

by Francois_Viviers

The Magura MT8 Next model calipers were the ones shown on the Campag prototypes last year by the looks of it, I reckon these can be used, and will be aiming to do so. Would just need a different hose connector at the caliper side, similar to the connector Campag uses in the levers to connect to the reservoir.

silvalis

by silvalis

So theoretically as long as you're using the correct oil (no mixing mineral oil and dot systems) for the system and the piston\pot volume is about right, you could stick any calipers on the end...
Chasse patate

maxxevv

by maxxevv

Hydraulic discs are a lot more finicky when it comes to piston/pot volumes. Its not like cable caliper rim brakes where a little bit more or less is negligible though. You'll have to be very sure if you want to go down that line.

silvalis

by silvalis

There have been pros running saint calipers on xtr levers in the dh scene a while back. Interesting because an xtr piston should be much lesser volume than a saint caliper...
Chasse patate

morrisond

by morrisond

maxxevv wrote:Hydraulic discs are a lot more finicky when it comes to piston/pot volumes. Its not like cable caliper rim brakes where a little bit more or less is negligible though. You'll have to be very sure if you want to go down that line.

It will be lot cheaper trying this than Changing my Frame! If it doesn't work I'll have the Campy calipers I need for a new frame.

Campy disc is going on my Gravel/Adventure bike so I'm actually contemplating putting the 4 Pot MT5/7 Caliper on the Front and MT6/MT8 on the back.

I haven't been overwhelmed by Shimano Disc so this solution 4pot/2 pot could be quite powerful - extra weight looks like 70grams.

maxxevv

by maxxevv

Not aware of any Post Mount (frame) to Flat Mount (caliper) adapters, though the reverse does exist.

Maybe can search around if anyone has done something of that nature for the market ?

morrisond

by morrisond

If you find anything please let me know - but so far I'm having no luck.

MichaelB

by MichaelB

silvalis wrote:There have been pros running saint calipers on xtr levers in the dh scene a while back. Interesting because an xtr piston should be much lesser volume than a saint caliper...

I'm running Zee calipers with RS685 Road levers. The theory is that the larger caliper piston volume will lead to spongier lever feel, but it's fine.

Compared to factory installation of RS685 levers and RS785 calipers, my brakes felt the same at the lever.

Braking is great, modulation brilliant, and the bigger pads last longer and take longer to get hot. Suits my Clydesdale frame well :D

userfriendly

by userfriendly

Keen to hear what you guys find, got a post mount frame that's been crying its wee eyes out since Campag's flat mount only announcement.
Cinelli Saetta 6.5kg - nice and dry weather
Reilly T325 7.3kg - nice weather but windy
Spa Audax 9.1kg - all weather steel beauty
Pinnacle Dolomite 7.9kg - flat-pedal chainguard thing
M∆SON Definition 8.5kg - off-road ... thing

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

duende

by duende

Interesting thread!

Not to change the subject, but I'm wondering if you all would think that the Mt6 6-bolt storm rotors would work with campy's disc calipers?