Style Police / Emotional Advice Needed

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

wingguy

by wingguy

JackRussellRacing wrote:550ml per 50 miles seems reasonable to me too -- especially with little climbing. Unfortunately I probably can't get the Elite bottles delivered in time for the ride, which is this coming Saturday (20 MAY)

LOL, if you're averaging 25mph that'd be 275ml per hour for 8 hours when you're likely to be sweating upwards of 1000ml per hour. Reasonable if you're in the 1950's I guess. You might as well start topping up with brandy and amphetamines and have done with it :lol:

And who cares about getting some specific bottles delivered? Go to your local shop, by any two 750ml bottles and get over yourself :wink:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Pan

by Pan

My saddlebag is minimalistic and beautiful. It barely fits the bare essentials.

2017 Pinarello F8 Dura Ace 9100 @ 7.5kg
2013 Bianchi Infinito 105 @ 8.2kg
1982 Colnago Super Single Speed @ 8.6kg

JackRussellRacing

by JackRussellRacing

Asteroid wrote:Not to add to your self-doubt, but those white water bottles sure stand out.
I forget what The Rules say about that. :D Red might look better.
That low profile saddlebag looks decent. Or you can skimp entirely and mooch off somebody if you puncture. Bring mo money.
Definitely two bottles minimum for every fifty miles. Seems insufficient, tho, considering this involves completing a double century.
Call the sag vehicle up to you for replenishment!
Amusing thread that really made my otherwise dreary day! Good luck on your ride!

Good points. Money isn't a worry - I keep $100 stashed behind my handlebar plugs and a platinum Amex taped under my saddle. On this ride, I don't think the team car is coming by with fresh bottles. :(

I'm going to do a 40 miler later today in 85dF and see how it goes. TBH, the only time I've dipped into a second bottle is to squirt my face or head. Two weeks ago, as a case-in-point, I rolled into the last checkpoint of a 100-mile mountain ride (still 20 miles to go?) and didn't refill bottles. I simply slammed a Coke, and rode the last bit without anything on my bike. This is the WW forum, right?

p.s. Just kidding about the $100 and Amex.

wingguy

by wingguy

JackRussellRacing wrote:I'm going to do a 40 miler later today in 85dF and see how it goes.

What's that going to tell you? Starting well hydrated I can if necessary quite happily ride for an hour without drinking anything. Extraoplating that zero ml per hour water intake onto a 2 hour, or 3 hour, or 8 hour ride would not go very well :lol:

kulivontot

by kulivontot

#fredproblems
Just have your domestique ride back to the car for you

stockae92

by stockae92

I would do second bottle. it won't matter how good you look if your body needs water and you ran out. :)

joejack951

by joejack951

JackRussellRacing wrote:Two weeks ago, as a case-in-point, I rolled into the last checkpoint of a 100-mile mountain ride (still 20 miles to go?) and didn't refill bottles. I simply slammed a Coke, and rode the last bit without anything on my bike.

Ok, so you rode 20 miles after drinking 12 fl. oz./350 mL. How much did you drink prior to that point? Sounds like at least two bottles (550 or 750 mL?). So we're at a minimum of 1450 mL (possibly 1850 mL) for 100 miles. And what was the temperature?

In my experience, excessive heat (like you find in NC) trumps lots of climbing as far as fluid intake is concerned. I've downed 1200 mL over a 30 mile ride and been severely dehydrated (95°F and some decent climbing).

JackRussellRacing

by JackRussellRacing

joejack951 wrote:
JackRussellRacing wrote:Two weeks ago, as a case-in-point, I rolled into the last checkpoint of a 100-mile mountain ride (still 20 miles to go?) and didn't refill bottles. I simply slammed a Coke, and rode the last bit without anything on my bike.

Ok, so you rode 20 miles after drinking 12 fl. oz./350 mL. How much did you drink prior to that point? Sounds like at least two bottles (550 or 750 mL?). So we're at a minimum of 1450 mL (possibly 1850 mL) for 100 miles. And what was the temperature?

In my experience, excessive heat (like you find in NC) trumps lots of climbing as far as fluid intake is concerned. I've downed 1200 mL over a 30 mile ride and been severely dehydrated (95°F and some decent climbing).

Yes, I probably consumed 3 bottles prior to that point.

I think there might be a misunderstanding in my original post: I do not intend to ride 200 miles on a single bottle of water. I am (still?) considering carrying only one active bottle of water between each of the scheduled 50-mile interval reststops which are stocked with water.

wobbly

by wobbly

JackRussellRacing wrote:
joejack951 wrote:

I think there might be a misunderstanding in my original post: I do not intend to ride 200 miles on a single bottle of water. I am (still?) considering carrying only one active bottle of water between each of the scheduled 50-mile interval reststops which are stocked with water.

Even if you had 2 bottles on the bike, by the time you're ready for the 2nd one it would be luke warm = not good to drink.
Make the rest-stops 30 miles or stop at shops/garages for any top ups you need.
Anyway avoid tools in pockets --> can hurt in a crash - then you'll remember this post :wink:

Good luck with the ride and hope it's not too humid :beerchug:
Will you post the strava link on here ?

joejack951

by joejack951

JackRussellRacing wrote:
joejack951 wrote:

I understand that (in a mathematical sense) but in no way would I ever consider trying it, not unless I had tons of prior experience with long distance riding on minimal fluid, and I'm not sure why anyone, save for masochists and desert dwellers with fat bikes, would have much experience there.

On your mountain ride you consumed upwards of 2600 mL in 100 miles and you are proposing to ride twice that distance in presumably hotter weather on less water. To be honest, even two bottles over 50 miles seems iffy to me. I'd try to stash at least one if not two more somewhere on my bike for that ride, just in case. I mean, drop a bottle and break it and you are done unless you are lucky enough to find somewhere to stop.

antonioiglesius

by antonioiglesius

It could be worse, you could have installed a triathlon bottle mount in place of your saddle bag.

wingguy

by wingguy

JackRussellRacing wrote:I think there might be a misunderstanding in my original post: I do not intend to ride 200 miles on a single bottle of water.

If you think that's what other people think and that's why they disagree with you, then you misunderstand just how stupid your idea of carrying only one water bottle for each 50 mile stint really is.

(ALthough honestly at this point I'm pretty sure you're just trolling. So well played :wink: )

JackRussellRacing

by JackRussellRacing

I'm not intentionally trolling, but it probably does look that way.

By the clinical definition, maybe I am a masochist. I did a 7500' climbing event last fall, entirely in the 'big ring' -- simply to see what it'd be like. Honestly, it was much easier than I expected, because the cadence went down to like 15rpm and I just stood on the pedals all the way 'round the crank. Another time, I stripped my chain totally bare and rode a big whopping 50 miles, simply to explore the tradeoff between 5 grams of chain lube saving vs. increased drivetrain friction. (Answer? Lube > weight savings!) Good grief... this is WW where people actually discuss the weight of AIR in their tubes. And suddenly, I'm the nutcase? :roll:

BUT, having carefully considered all the replies here, I'm going to the leave the baboon-butt saddle bag installed and just do the darn 200-mile ride with both bottles wet. Maybe I'll toss one roadside before the final sprint to the pier. Just for dramatic effect, you know.

wpccrunner
in the industry

by wpccrunner

you could just slam your stem to get more aero and save some watts therefore requiring less effort during the ride and potentially only require 1 wet bottle per 50 miles of the trip.

Double Down to the Beach, Burlington to Wrightsville?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

wingguy

by wingguy

JackRussellRacing wrote: Good grief... this is WW where people actually discuss the weight of AIR in their tubes. And suddenly, I'm the nutcase? :roll:

Figuring how much air weighs is an entertaining if pointless diversion. Trying to convince oneself to attempt an ultra distance ride in hot conditions with a highly inadequate water supply is dumb, dangerous, detrimental to performance and hazardous to health. So yeah, you really are the nutcase :P