Style Police / Emotional Advice Needed

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

kulivontot

by kulivontot

Troll thread is troll

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

JackRussellRacing

by JackRussellRacing

I'm sorry the forum seems to think I was trolling, and found ample opportunity to ridicule my bike and the sexual orientation of others.

I am in North Carolina. It will be warm, and likely some humidity. The ride organizers have posted final details which suggest "nearly mandatory" stops every 35-40 miles because of the manner in which SAG is being run. Riders supply our own nutrition, which is delivered to rest-stops at each 35-45 mile interval. If a rider doesn't use their personal SAG-bag and place it back into the vehicle it'll be left at the rest stop and simply collected by a broom truck and transported directly to the finish line. (Certainly it's not how I would manage things, but I'm just a participant so I'm just going with the flow.) I assume the number of stops and SAG strategy is designed because there will be a wide variety of riders at the event.

I'll duck out of the conversation about hydration, saddle bags, bar alignment, spacers, and stem caps. Thank you to those who offered serious and thoughtful replies.

BRM

by BRM

Listen, that you have refurbished a bidon to place your tools in so you have a neat solution is perfectly alright. :thumbup:

But then when you ONCE do a trip of 200 miles and need to switch to a saddlebag TEMPORARY and begin to ask advice the way you did, its absurd. Your insecurity, doubts, cry for help and botherings you will be seen with a saddlebag. Sorry you act like a lady or as a man with too many female genes. Too much fashion/dandy attitude.

People think: Whats next? A topic about pre-tanning and bleaching your anus before the 200 mile ride? :? :D :mrgreen:

Concentrate on your ride instead on how you look like, people will not notice . . . . .

Asteroid

by Asteroid

First off, the OP started this thread with a keen sense of cyclist humor. Clearly a number of forum members do not get it. This stuns me.

Second, many chimed in with equal levels of humor. Many forum members still failed to understand.

Finally, late-comers hop on without reading the flavor of the thread and jump to their own conclusions with a negative vibe. Try to have fun sometime, will ya?

Clearly, the OP is a strong and capable rider (and writer!). And a really good sport to boot. I wish him all the best on his epic ride, during which I will venture out in my area to catch the Tour of California whizzing around.
Oldbie

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

@Asteroid.... THANK YOU for that post. Spot on.

My advice to the OP... Option 2: Carry two full big waterbottles (I added the "big" as it will lessen the gigantic appearance of your otherwise tiny saddle bag), and yes, by all means fill the saddlebag with whatever goodies you feel like.

Oh, and never speak of this on WW again but above all, enjoy the day!
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

Tqubed

by Tqubed

For short rides (< 3 hrs), I usually carry my repair kit in my jersey pocket. I always ride with 2 small water bottles. For longer rides, I will use 2 large water bottles and a spare tube and CO2 cartridge in my fizik 00 saddle bag. It's sleek and doesn't stand out like other bags.

https://lifeisabeautifuldetail.com/blog ... saddle-bag

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

mpulsiv

by mpulsiv

For the love of god, just drink more water. Don't go on rides with 1 water bottle. Do any of you consume at least 3 quarts a day when not on bike?
Racing is a three-dimensional high-speed chess game, involving hundreds of pieces on the board.

:arrow: CBA = Chronic Bike Addiction
:arrow: OCD = Obsessive Cycling Disorder

dj97223

by dj97223

JackRussellRacing wrote:I'm sorry the forum seems to think I was trolling, and found ample opportunity to ridicule my bike and the sexual orientation of others.

I am in North Carolina. It will be warm, and likely some humidity. The ride organizers have posted final details which suggest "nearly mandatory" stops every 35-40 miles because of the manner in which SAG is being run. Riders supply our own nutrition, which is delivered to rest-stops at each 35-45 mile interval. If a rider doesn't use their personal SAG-bag and place it back into the vehicle it'll be left at the rest stop and simply collected by a broom truck and transported directly to the finish line. (Certainly it's not how I would manage things, but I'm just a participant so I'm just going with the flow.) I assume the number of stops and SAG strategy is designed because there will be a wide variety of riders at the event.

I'll duck out of the conversation about hydration, saddle bags, bar alignment, spacers, and stem caps. Thank you to those who offered serious and thoughtful replies.

Well, you did ask for Emotional Advice. I think some people got Emotional.
“If you save your breath I feel a man like you can manage it. And if you don't manage it, you'll die. Only slowly, very slowly, old friend.”

jever98

by jever98

@OP: how about just riding without tools and scrounging of someone if shit hits the fan ;)
----
No longer in the industry

corky

by corky

^ stealth mode........I like it.

It also allows the helper to feel good about themselves and gives them some ammo to slag you off post ride.

mattr

by mattr

basilic wrote:I'm not sure what to think of this forum.
Moderators ban any talk of doping - egads!
Homophobic comments are tolerated.
It's about BRMs level. He struggles to communicate well at many levels.

basilic

by basilic

@BRM: it'a okay, nobody's mad at you. The problem with the -isms is that people are not aware. I just found odd that the moderators were ok with it.

also I'm finally reading "En finir avec Eddy Bellegueule" (The End of Eddy in English), about a kid growing up gay in abject poverty in northern France. That book is like a fist in the face.

jeanjacques

by jeanjacques

Why not a bag behind the stem ? Some studies said there is an aero gain with it (better than a second bottle anyway).
Xlab have a large choice for example: https://www.xlab-usa.com/products/bags-and-pods.html or Profil Design: http://www.profile-design.com/product/storage/
I made this one to fit perfectly my need (foam inside for a camera + tools + food):

jever98

by jever98

@jeansjacques: a bento box is an even bigger crime than a saddle bag ;-) :-P
----
No longer in the industry

chefczyk

by chefczyk

moonoi wrote:I use a Silca Seat Roll, a nice stylish saddlebag that keeps my pockets free for essentials and allows me to carry 2 x 750ml bottles in the heat here in Thailand, both bottles last around 30 miles before refill (34-40 degree C)

https://silca.cc/products/57c424fc56d9341100298881

in what world is that better looking than a saddle bag...

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com