Style Police / Emotional Advice Needed

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Frankie - B
Admin - In the industry

by Frankie - B

^ Is it just me, or is that a great first post on a forum?
'Tape was made to wrap your GF's gifts, NOT hold a freakin tire on.'
If you want to see 'meh' content of me and my bike you can follow my life in pictures here!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

3Pio

by 3Pio

310rider wrote:I find this thread is a disappointing… I remember the days when the “The Rules” were absolute, and not to be violated. Dehydration use to demonstrate your commitment to the sport. You guys have gotten soft.

Whats next? Someone to ask to start riding directly on seatpost and without saddle to show commitment to the sport and also to save some weight (since this is weeighweenies forum :) ).

BTW, Im just preparing to ride 203 km today, two 0.75 FULL, and i'll top them as soon as i have chance for that :)

Sorry to dissapoint u all that i wont dehydrate as commitment to the sport :)

Have a nice weekend everyone :)

cmcdonnell

by cmcdonnell

3Pio wrote:
310rider wrote:I find this thread is a disappointing… I remember the days when the “The Rules” were absolute, and not to be violated. Dehydration use to demonstrate your commitment to the sport. You guys have gotten soft.

Whats next? Someone to ask to start riding directly on seatpost and without saddle to show commitment to the sport and also to save some weight (since this is weeighweenies forum :) ).

BTW, Im just preparing to ride 203 km today, two 0.75 FULL, and i'll top them as soon as i have chance for that :)

I wholeheartedly agree with you 3Pio. I've been riding long enough to remember riding before "The Rules" (and hipster beards and tattoo's etc.) and the word was a better place. "Just ride lots" and "it never gets easier you just get faster" were the inspiration quotes, none of these pretentious rules based on vanity over and above actually improving you riding ability or just enjoying yourself. You never saw any Pro without adequate water and a seat pack on a training ride in the past and I'd wager you wouldn't today because you need that to train effectively. Yo may be able to ride 200K on a 500ml bottle and you may not get a puncture but you'll be quicker if adequately hydrated and you'll be able to complete your training if you can effectively repair your puncture (or 2).

The Rules appeared when I had a break from cycling due to a hip resurface in the mid 2000's but I still cringe whenever I hear a 20 or 30 something quote them like the actually mean something. Makes me determined to drop them at the next opportunity and I usually do!! I had always assumed they were intended in the same tongue in cheek fashion as the Sufferfest stuff by maybe I'm wrong.
Bianchi Oltre XR2 + Campagnolo Super Record 11 + Campagnolo Bora 50C
Litespeed T1 + Campagnolo Chorus 11 + Campagnolo Shamal Ultra

kulivontot

by kulivontot

Frankie - B wrote:^ Is it just me, or is that a great first post on a forum?

I'm pretty sure he's just a scammer post bumping. Ban him!

Raccooningtanuki

by Raccooningtanuki

One wet bottle for 50 miles. I only run one wet bottle in the worst conditions during training runs(heaviest possible gears on long hills). Don't ask me about fashion. I ride in button-up shirts. Tie optional
Spring propel viewtopic.php?t=140915
Fall guru merus viewtopic.php?t=155877
Summer carver nonsense viewtopic.php?t=156795

Raccooningtanuki

by Raccooningtanuki

3Pio wrote:

I have a tennis ball replacing my saddle to save weight on one bike :lol:
Spring propel viewtopic.php?t=140915
Fall guru merus viewtopic.php?t=155877
Summer carver nonsense viewtopic.php?t=156795

tinozee

by tinozee

Depends on the pace. You aren't riding hard enough unless you need a bottle an hour. Anyone can randy 200 miles at a snails pace and have huge saddle bags, why not bring a turkey sandwich? I'd have 2 full bottles in the cages, one full in the jersey, bars and gels in other pockets, no tools, and possibly even a strategically stashed cooler on the route. Filling one bottle would be so annoying. Screw the tools and other shit.

AfromD

by AfromD

All the OP actually needs is water proof tools. Then his bottle can still hold the tools while also providing hydration.

mpulsiv

by mpulsiv

Dehydration is not commitment to the sport. Racing your bike is the commitment to the sport!
Racing is a three-dimensional high-speed chess game, involving hundreds of pieces on the board.

:arrow: CBA = Chronic Bike Addiction
:arrow: OCD = Obsessive Cycling Disorder

wobbly

by wobbly

@JRR - how did you do on your ride to the coast - how many fill ups :) :)
Empirical evidence and all that....

BennyC

by BennyC

TonyM wrote:
BTW, few years ago, i was spending my Holiday in Kefalonya, Greece (wonderfull place, one of the best i ever been), Greece in 40 degrees C. One of the days i decide to ride around 100 km, with a lot of climbing in that 100 km. I had 2 x bottles of 750ml.

I drink them in the place where there was no shops, no water. My pee become yellow and start feeling dizzy. My only solution was to stop cars (which was not that often), and to ask for water :)

One car stopped, and they said that they have some water left that can give it to me. Imagine my dissapointed when i realized they have only half 0.5l bottle :)

I was doing some cycling in the mountains on Cyprus. The temperature was mid 30s deg C and I had ran out of water. Eventually I cycled past a little roadside shrine and noticed it contained some bottles of water. http://churchesingreece.blogspot.co.uk/ ... reece.html

"How nice" I thought, they were being good samaritans thinking about us passers by.
... So I take a drink :beerchug: ...

Luckily I knew something was wrong straight away as it was the worst liquid I've ever tasted (very thick, oily and unnatural) Thankfully I managed to spit it out before swallowing. I think someone had used empty bottles of water, still with the "Mineral Water" labels on, to store paraffin for the shrine candles!!!! I hate to think what would have happened if I swallowed 500ml of paraffin on a quiet road in the middle of nowhere.

Having said that, Cyprus is one of those best kept secrets for cycling in January, Feb, Mar. Especially further inland where it gets quite mountainous. I can't believe its not as popular as Mallorca.