Need advice on a good bike cam

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

jfranci3

by jfranci3

Maybe this is another thread - What do your bike device charging setups look like? Lights/computer/cam/deraileurs,etc? I've got a Power strip over a bin in my garage.

Edit: Thread viewtopic.php?f=14&t=150813

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

c60rider

by c60rider

Although the K edge/Go Pro out front bar mount would fit the Fly12CE Kedge don't approve it as it's not strong enough. The Cycliq one is excellent though it's got a pretty steep price. You can make do with the supplied mounts but it's super discreet and out the way when it's under your garmin or which computer you're using.

IrrelevantD

by IrrelevantD

@jfranci3 - I posted on your thread.

@c60rider - I picked up a couple of Form Mounts when they were on kickstarter. I asked them about the weight limit early on, but they never got back to me. It's held the weight of my original Fly12 and my Garmin Edge 810 just fine. I've recently taken it off road on my CX bike with the 12CE on both single track MTB trails as well as gravel and it's held up well. Might be worth a look.
* There is a 70% chance that what you have just read has a peppering of cynicism or sarcasm and generally should not be taken seriously.
I'll leave it up to you to figure out the other 30%. If you are in any way offended, that's on you.

NYCPrynne

by NYCPrynne

IrrelevantD wrote:
Thu Mar 22, 2018 7:29 pm

@c60rider - I picked up a couple of Form Mounts when they were on kickstarter. I asked them about the weight limit early on, but they never got back to me. It's held the weight of my original Fly12 and my Garmin Edge 810 just fine. I've recently taken it off road on my CX bike with the 12CE on both single track MTB trails as well as gravel and it's held up well. Might be worth a look.
Do you like the Form Mount?....one review I had seen noted difficulty in setting it up.
My handlebar does not run stright across, so there is an offset when I try to use a K-edge to mount the computer and Fly 12CE, so I was interested in the Form Mount.

Does anyone else have suggestions for a stem faceplate mount that can handle a GPS and a videocam?....or does anyone know of a mount that has some adjustability so that the GPS and videocam can sit true?

c60rider

by c60rider

NYCPrynne wrote:
Fri Mar 23, 2018 12:38 am
IrrelevantD wrote:

Do you like the Form Mount?....one review I had seen noted difficulty in setting it up.
My handlebar does not run stright across, so there is an offset when I try to use a K-edge to mount the computer and Fly 12CE, so I was interested in the Form Mount.

Does anyone else have suggestions for a stem faceplate mount that can handle a GPS and a videocam?....or does anyone know of a mount that has some adjustability so that the GPS and videocam can sit true?
My cycliq mount fits my Garmin 520 and fly12CE fit pretty straight on mine

NYCPrynne

by NYCPrynne

c60rider wrote:
Fri Mar 23, 2018 1:04 am
NYCPrynne wrote:
IrrelevantD wrote:

My cycliq mount fits my Garmin 520 and fly12CE fit pretty straight on mine
My handlebars are swept back, so they are not straight. Thus, I either need a stem faceplate mount, or suggestions for mounts that are adjustable or have a bit of offset. Thanks.

IrrelevantD

by IrrelevantD

NYCPrynne wrote:

It's not really hard to setup, but I will concede that it has a tendency to not really be.... symetrical. The way it's designed is really good for being adjustable and easy to setup on just about any 4-bolt stem, but getting it to look perfectly aligned takes some fiddling. In general, I like it, but I'd be tempted to look into one of the other options that extends from the stem bolts if I had to do it again. There are a few other options out there, not sure if they have a weight limit or not. I'm going to assume that the flexibility of the moulded arms (some carbon polymer something) allows it to flex a bit without causing any stresses that would eventually lead aluminum to crack. Just a guess at why K-Edge says theirs won't work, while it may be strong enough, maybe eventually repeditive shocks from bumps, etc. will lead to cracks?
* There is a 70% chance that what you have just read has a peppering of cynicism or sarcasm and generally should not be taken seriously.
I'll leave it up to you to figure out the other 30%. If you are in any way offended, that's on you.

simoncx

by simoncx

I have mine on a k-edge mount with the gopro adapter, works fine with a garmin 810 it's been like this for probably 15k miles.

jfranci3

by jfranci3

NYCPrynne wrote:

I have the F3 mount. It is hard to tq your faceplate bolts properly. It is also hard to get the rods to be where you want them as you tighten them. They recommend grease, but you also need a washer between the bolt and rods. Once you get it setup, it's good.

Look at other faceplate mounts, it looks like you need to buy a new stem in most cases. Only Fizik, Bontrager, 3t, and Ritchey have one avb.

mvcap

by mvcap

I am using the Barfly 4 Max out front mount which has multiple GPS mounts included. I have a Garmin Edge 1000, which on this mount sits in front of the bars (not above), like a K Edge. Directly beneath I have mounted a Yi Lite camera. It's a gopro knock-off but excellent and dirt cheap (sale was $69) on Amazon. See reviews. Several comparison videos on YouTube as well highlighting advantages, touchscreen, etc. Added an extended life battery for ~ 2hrs recording time. Btw, battery is removable so you can also carry spares. It's in a $7 housing frame (Amazon) and is tight and secure. Shoots crystal clear 1080p video at 60fps, all hiding beneath my Garmin.

Have the same setup as a rear camera but with the K Edge Go Big saddle rail mount. Really happy with it for incident protection or riding footage.

jfranci3

by jfranci3

Heads up GP Sessions have been cancelled. Get them while you can.