Pro's.... think they're riding with toe overlap?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

milesthedog

by milesthedog

So, I see pros riding with their normal large amount of drop from the saddle to their bars and then they have 130+mm stems. In order to ride a stock frame with that much drop and that long of a stem, they have to size down (obviously) with regard to the frame. Do you think they're dealing with front wheel toe overlap, and just deal with it?

When I look at frames, really only the Supersix and Canyon aeroroad offer low frame stack and long reach to prevent toe overlap... but that long reach cuts into stem length/handling characteristics. thoughts?

dudemanppl

by dudemanppl

Toe overlap isn't an issue.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

C36

by C36

Unless you do a U-turn that's not a problem. You barely turn the front well in everyday ride.
Now since you mention it, short stems are rather an improvement in terms of handling over long ones. Matter of weight repartition and hand position compare to front wheel axle.

Envoyé de mon iPhone en utilisant Tapatalk

Lelandjt

by Lelandjt

^This. I prefer the handling of a 100mm stem to anything longer both in steering and stability when sprinting. I always thought long stems were chosen to fit on a small frame but do some people prefer the feel of them? Sprinting on a 130+mm stem feels to me like there's a pivot in the middle of the top tube and I need to focus effort on not folding the bike in half there.

eaglejackson

by eaglejackson

Pros turn by leaning the bike and don't turn the bars very much. Toe overlap not an issue for them.

RussellS

by RussellS

Toe overlap is only a concern when making tight turns. Such as when riding around town and making U turns in the middle of the street or sidewalk. I have not seen many pro races where they make U turns in streets or sidewalks. Maybe you are watching different pro races than I am.

AJS914

by AJS914

I've had bikes with toe overlap and other than an occasional scuff of the shoe, it's not really a problem.

thedonnydino

by thedonnydino

Don't sweat it.

The alternative is a slackened head tube which changes the handling of the bike.

I have two bikes built for 'crit racing'. They have a very short wheel base and are a lot of fun to ride. There are only a few places on my commute where I need to watch it, but it becomes second nature.

I got my head around it when I realised how many fixie couriers were getting around every day in ubran environments with massive overlap.

TonyM

by TonyM

I have a small toe overlap on my bikes (frame size is a 48S for my C60 for example)) and I have to watch out when I do a U-turn etc...It's an automatic habit like having the pedals up in the inside of the road when I do a sharp corner.

sugarkane
in the industry

by sugarkane

small racy frames have toe overlap its dangerous to your white shoes but it really shouldn't impact your safety other wise

jlok

by jlok

My Shimano RC7 shoes will soon break due to the overlap. Shall we stick Bont toe protectors?
Rikulau V9 DB Custom < BMC TM02 < Litespeed T1sl Disc < Giant Propel Advanced SL Disc 1 < Propel Adv < TCR Adv SL Disc < KTM Revelator Sky < CAAD 12 Disc < Domane S Disc < Alize < CAAD 10

wingguy

by wingguy

milesthedog wrote:Do you think they're dealing with front wheel toe overlap, and just deal with it?

Absolutely. Just like anyone else who rides a small frame. Toe overlap doesn't matter.

When I look at frames, really only the Supersix and Canyon aeroroad offer low frame stack and long reach to prevent toe overlap... but that long reach cuts into stem length/handling characteristics. thoughts?

The Supersix and Aeroad are neither unusual nor extreme when it comes to geometry. There are plenty that are in the same stack/reach ballpark and several that are significantly more aggressive. Not sure how you've researched this?
:noidea:

Zakalwe

by Zakalwe

Try moving the wheel enough so it touches your toe at 40kmh then come back and let us know how you got on

cmcdonnell

by cmcdonnell

Always had 10mm or so overlap on every bike ever. Just how it goes with needing a 50cm frame. Only had problems in the winter when I add clip on guards and even then only maneuvering round a car park or outside a cafe! Not really an issue
Bianchi Oltre XR2 + Campagnolo Super Record 11 + Campagnolo Bora 50C
Litespeed T1 + Campagnolo Chorus 11 + Campagnolo Shamal Ultra

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

wingguy

by wingguy

Zakalwe wrote:Try moving the wheel enough so it touches your toe at 40kmh then come back and let us know how you got on

I'd rather not, since I'm not insane or a masochist. If you try moving the wheel that much at 40kph you'll most probably crash whether it hits your foot or not. :unbelievable: