Help me get below 17lbs for stock CAAD10 105... on the cheap

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Morghulis

by Morghulis

Finally had some time to switch cranks. FSA Gossamer crankset weighed in at 800g verse 614g for the Force crankset - a saving of 186g

I also switched seatposts and saddles. The C3 post weighed 277g verse 218g for the C2. I also swapped the stock Prologo saddle (305) for a Bontrager saddle (242g) - weight saving of 122g for the seatpost/saddle combo.

So overall, a 308g reduction, which should bring the bike weight down to about 17.25 lbs. My next upgrades will be a wheelset and Ti Skewers which should hopefully bring me down by at least 0.5lbs. If I need further reductions, stem, drop bars, and saddle change will follow. Also still considering changing from 105 to Rival.

FSA Crankset:

Force Crankset:

C3 seatpost:

C2 seatpost:
Last edited by Morghulis on Thu May 18, 2017 5:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

vejnemojnen

by vejnemojnen

get c1 handlebars..

best curve-shape (compact, almost identical to fsa..), weighs around 240 grams in 42cm..

2lo8

by 2lo8

As previously noted, going from 105 to Rival levers, FD and RD will save you ~200g or nearly half a pound. You can get some very cheap 0 setback seatposts like the GUB for $10-15 which weigh 146g or 165g when cut down to 240mm. There are lots of other little things you can do, but I'm too lazy to list them. Some of them are listed on my blog.
[14lb(6.35kg) of no carbon fiber]
[2lo8.wordpress.com]
Your one-stop source for information and reviews on cheap eBay bike junk.

flying

by flying

Morghulis wrote:
Still slightly more than i want to spend on wheels right now and I'm not crazy about the spoke pattern - Do you think they are worth $100 more than the Vuelta lites? I mentioned the Easton EA90 SLs earlier, but came across a few negative reviews regarding quality - so I'll put these on the backburner too.

I am not familiar with the Vuelta lites so cannot say :D

On the Campy stuff I have had others like Neutrons, Hyperons over the years &
Campy stuff is bullet proof I have never had a problem.

One thing I will say about the new Zonda C17's is that I have never had a set of wheels so perfectly
tensioned.

I played & built electric guitars & tube amps for many years so I do hear pitch & steps of pitch
These wheels are so musical & spokes tensioned so perfectly to equal pitch I am amazed at how perfect they are

Also you mentioned in the thread your basically looking for training wheels
I recently descended a really bad... due to tree roots.... hill
The wheels took some hard sharp edged whacks to a point I said uh-oh
but got home checked & they are perfect :wink:

PS: Looked up the Vuelta Lites
They do not sound bad if you mean these?
Ezo bearing & decent weight
But only if much lower than the 299 suggested retail eh? :wink:

https://www.vueltausa.com/vuelta-wheel- ... gnolo.html

Morghulis

by Morghulis

flying wrote:PS: Looked up the Vuelta Lites

Yeah, Vuelta Corsa Lites are readily available for under $250 and sometimes lower. The only thing stopping me from purchasing them now is that they're pretty narrow and I'll be running 25 tires. I may just end up snagging some older Ksyrium Sl's from a friend - not sure how these stack up against the all the wheelsets mentioned.

chefczyk

by chefczyk

interesting build - i like the premise here.

Morghulis

by Morghulis

Decided to go ahead and switch the 105 shifters and derailleurs to Rival....approximate weight savings of 234g - haven't yet had time to install on bike yet.

C3 Drops with rival shifters and extras:

C3 Drops with 105 shifters and extras (estimated extras - tape, cables, etc are roughly the same, so weight diff is 90%+ due to the shifters):

105 Rear Derailleur:

Rival Rear Derailleur:

105 Front Derailleur:

Rival Front Derailleur:

bremerradkurier

by bremerradkurier

Morghulis wrote:
flying wrote:PS: Looked up the Vuelta Lites

Yeah, Vuelta Corsa Lites are readily available for under $250 and sometimes lower. The only thing stopping me from purchasing them now is that they're pretty narrow and I'll be running 25 tires. I may just end up snagging some older Ksyrium Sl's from a friend - not sure how these stack up against the all the wheelsets mentioned.

btw, you can rim transplant the Corsa Lites with Kinlin XC-279 rims if you want wider rims and use the stock spokes; I've been using this wheelset almost 2 years now.

2lo8

by 2lo8

XC-279 seems obsolete now with the Kinlin 31mm rims, except the price obviously. If you're not replacing a worn rim and for some reason reusing old spokes, it seems like you might as well just build from parts if you're only going to use it as a hub and spokes kit.
[14lb(6.35kg) of no carbon fiber]
[2lo8.wordpress.com]
Your one-stop source for information and reviews on cheap eBay bike junk.

vejnemojnen

by vejnemojnen

plase, get c1 handlebars or deda zero100, or fizik bars.. you'd save another 60grams at the cockpit..

Morghulis

by Morghulis

bremerradkurier wrote:
btw, you can rim transplant the Corsa Lites with Kinlin XC-279 rims if you want wider rims and use the stock spokes; I've been using this wheelset almost 2 years now.

Hmm, the Vuelta Lites are currently on sale at Nashbar for $150 (lowest price I've ever seen) - Would it be worth paying an extra approximate $120 to replace the rims and what would the diff in weight be? I probably won't do it as I have zero experience changing rims, but sounds like an interesting premise.

Morghulis

by Morghulis

vejnemojnen wrote:plase, get c1 handlebars or deda zero100, or fizik bars.. you'd save another 60grams at the cockpit..

I ended up snagging a used Ritchey EVO curve alloy handlebars (252g) for only $20! The bars were very rough looking, but no structural issues - I'll likely sand them down and spray paint.

bremerradkurier

by bremerradkurier

Morghulis wrote:
bremerradkurier wrote:

Hmm, the Vuelta Lites are currently on sale at Nashbar for $150 (lowest price I've ever seen) - Would it be worth paying an extra approximate $120 to replace the rims and what would the diff in weight be? I probably won't do it as I have zero experience changing rims, but sounds like an interesting premise.

I still have the old Vuelta rims hanging on a hook; I'll give 'em a weighing.

The transplant is absurdly easy-you can use tape, velcro straps, or old toe straps to line up the new rim spoke holes to the old spoke holes (take care to match the offset!) and then you just move each spoke and nipple over to the new rim-I used a wooden BBQ skewer to feed the nipples into the new rim.

From there, tension each spoke to the point where the spoke threads are covered and gradually build up tension taking into account trueness and roundness as you go; Vuelta uses plenty of thread compound so I didn't add any.

As a bonus, the Conti GPs that required a tire lever for mounting on the Vuelta rims go on by hand on the Kinlins.

lamphead

by lamphead

I have a pair of the Vuelta Corsa lites- they weigh in at 1589 grams, and are upgradable to 11 speed (which I did). Very solid wheelset and these have become my training wheels. At 27mm rim height- they're "almost" aero.
:roll:

Having said all that- depending on how much you weigh- you can get Kinlin XR-200 w/powerway hubs (20/24) from the bay, are extremely light (mine weighed in at 1270 grams), so far- not flexy for me (I weigh 150 lbs), and crazy cheap at around US$250. I've been using them for 2 seasons without any issues and they've stayed true.

Morghulis

by Morghulis

Okay - major change in plans!

Just to recap: I had purchased two CAAD10 bikes (one 105 and one Rival). The plan, as of yesterday, was to continue to switch the 105 drivetrain and FSA crankset with the Rival Drivetrain and Force crankset. I had also already changed seatposts and have a Ritchey WCS Evocurve alloy handlebars en route. In addition, I ordered some titanium skewers off Ebay - I paid a bit more than others as I found a set that are likely the same as the Lifeline titanium/carbon skewers many recommended off Wiggle (included auction pic below). Other stuff to round out the changes are as follows: A Selle SLR 135g saddle, Veloflex Master 25 tires, Michelin Aircomp Ultra Light Tubes, replacement BB30 bearings (one of the original bearings felt slightly rough), a KMC x93 10 speed chain, and some std brake and shifter cables.

I'm fairly certain that the above changes would dip the bike under 17lbs. As a result, I was contemplating delaying the wheel purchase and riding with the RS10s until a really great wheel deal surfaced. Then today happened and I now have 3 CAAD10 bikes! - yeah I have zero impulse control. But, in my defense, I think I got an amazing deal and I'll be pretty much done with the bike. I also think (if I don't end up giving the large frame to my bro-in-law) I can recoup 90% of what I paid for the extra two bikes when I sell the castrated versions. Here's what came with the CAAD10 purchased today (also a 2012, but too large for me, paid $750 which seems like a ridiculous deal?):

-Sram Red FD
-Sram Force RD
-Sram Force Shifters
-Sram Force Crankset
-Planet X Brakes
-Look Keo Carbon Blade Ti pedals
-KMC X10SL silver chain
-Sram PG1070 cassette
-Thomson Masterpiece seatpost
-Fizik Antares Carbon Braided saddle (small tear on side and some scuffs though)
-Rol Race SL Wheels - seems to get good ratings (reported weight of 1550g)
-3T Team Stem
-3T 44cm Rotundo pro handlebars

The plan is to switch everything except for the handlebars, seat, and crankset (also Force). Let me know what you guys think....I'm excited to find out what the total weight will be - should have time this weekend to complete the project.

Here's the skewer set I ordered from Ebay:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com