Help me get below 17lbs for stock CAAD10 105... on the cheap

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

angman19

by angman19

Thats a fantastic deal. Some good quality stuff there that will really help. Good luck

Morghulis

by Morghulis

angman19 wrote:Thats a fantastic deal. Some good quality stuff there that will really help. Good luck

Thanks, I still haven't put the bike together - I've just been sidetracked with other stuff. However, I pulled the lightweight parts from the new bike, replaced them with other parts, then sold the bike for more than I paid. I also sold the Rol wheels as they were the narrow version - I've got some Bontrager Race Lites arriving tomorrow. I'll try work on the bike tomorrow evening or Saturday and hopefully post some updates before the end of the weekend.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Asteroid

by Asteroid

You're going to end up with a 7.3kg (16lb) bike soon enough.
And possibly now realize you could've bought a used bone stock SRAM Red '15 Supersix EVO for under $2k to start at 7.3kg. :smartass:
But what's the fun in that!? :D
Oldbie

metalplease

by metalplease

If this frame is alloy, & a Supersix EVO is carbon, then I'm cheering for Morghulis...any carbon frame is only warranteed for around 2 years - so if you are cost watching, I think an alloy build/revamp is deffo a good idea (I have a Cannondale stock for my winter bike & the stock wheels - they're like tank treads!) Looking forward to the next steps on this project...

SixThirteen

by SixThirteen

Morghulis wrote: That Uno stem seems like a pretty good bang for the buck - anybody have experience with them?

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=116669[/quote]

Yeah the Uno stems are very good value for money - got 3 or 4 in various lengths and angles, and all really light
Scott Foil RC10 Ultegra 12 speed / Creston 50 - 7.9Kg

Attermann

by Attermann

the lyti stem is also pretty nice

http://www.dulight.fr/en/mtb/753-lyti-stem-6.html

Morghulis

by Morghulis

Ok, finally assembled everything - well basically just slapped everything on the bike. Next weekend or sooner, I'll trim the cables, tune the shifters, cut down the steerer tube, adjust the brakes, etc - so please ignore the obvious in the pics below - eg the stem and steerer alignment. I just really wanted to get everything on the bike so I can at least get the current weight....drum roll please.....

6.785 kg!! Under 15lbs!

I hung the bar tape on the handlebars too, the only extra weight would be some electrical tape, two bar end plugs, and a few cable pinches or whatever they're called. However, I also need to cut several links off the chain, and trim the shifter and brake cables - overall, I'll still likely be under 15lbs. This is without pedals - my next goal may well be to knock off another approx 250g to keep the weight under 15lbs including pedals.

Morghulis

by Morghulis

Asteroid wrote:You're going to end up with a 7.3kg (16lb) bike soon enough.
And possibly now realize you could've bought a used bone stock SRAM Red '15 Supersix EVO for under $2k to start at 7.3kg. :smartass:
But what's the fun in that!? :D

I need to add up what this whole project has cost me - definitely under $750... likely about $600. Only possible since I snagged most of the lightweight parts off another bike I purchased and still sold it for substantially more than I paid. Searching Craigslist compulsively for 3 weeks was the ticket. But, you're right, if I had purchased everything new I would have likely exceeded 2k.

Morghulis

by Morghulis

Trimmed up the cables and added some bar tape. Only thing left for me to do is adjust the saddle and stem position - Although, I'll likely start with the stem as is for a few rides.

Final weight is 6.77kg (no pedals, no bottle cage)

Vuong05

by Vuong05

Nice job man!
Current Stable. Evo (Storm Trooper) : 5.39kg | Alchemy Eros : Heavy (7.25kg) I Specialized Allez Sprint 2022 : Heavy (7.62kg)

Morghulis

by Morghulis

Vuong05 wrote:Nice job man!

Thanks! Now to get it out on the road.

JDEves

by JDEves

That's a sweet ride! :thumbup: