Powertap G3 lock nut

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

robsbc

by robsbc

During today's ride I noticed my Powertap lock nut had come loose it was floating between the Powertap Powercap and the frame. Upon inspection the lockring has sheared off and the threaded part of the lock ring was still attached onto the wheel. I am nota able to remove what is left of the lock ring.

The wheelset was purchased a month old ago. Not had to gain access to the Powercap.

I don't think I am now able to remove the Powerap.

As anyone seen this issue before?

This is a first for me I have own 2 other Powertap G3 hub the last 5 years.

Cheers Rob
Rob

robsbc

by robsbc

Just now with a sharp edge I was able to push the broken threaded part so I could unscrew it.
Rob

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

fio
in the industry

by fio

Rob-

I used to work for Powertap doing customer service work among other things. Never heard of that happening, ever. Thankfully those locknuts are cheap. Glad to hear that you were able to get the threaded portion removed...hopefully you didn't experience any other damage.

robsbc

by robsbc

fio wrote:Rob-

I used to work for Powertap doing customer service work among other things. Never heard of that happening, ever. Thankfully those locknuts are cheap. Glad to hear that you were able to get the threaded portion removed...hopefully you didn't experience any other damage.

I posted the issue on the Powertap site and got 10 different people quoting the same issue. So I am not alone.

My 2012 & 2014 G3 hubs locknuts have all been fine just not this 2017 one.

Cheers Rob
Rob

fio
in the industry

by fio

robsbc wrote:
I posted the issue on the Powertap site and got 10 different people quoting the same issue. So I am not alone.

My 2012 & 2014 G3 hubs locknuts have all been fine just not this 2017 one.

Cheers Rob

Interesting. I haven't worked there since 2014, so it's probably a new issue they are facing.