Fast city commuter on a <$1000 budget?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

sipowicz

by sipowicz

How would you approach getting a fast road bike for commuting and city riding without spending a fortune? I live in a city where the roads are bumpy and bike theft is pretty common. I used to ride a Cervelo but that would be overkill for commuting. I would like to buy / build a practical and wallet friendly bike. Still somewhat light and fast. Aluminum frame is fine and don't need high end specs. Budget max. $1000.

CAAD 9/10? Specialized Allez?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

evan326

by evan326

I am in the process of doing that exact thing. I have an 7.5mi ride to work that is all but .5mi on a bike path. I scored a caad10 frameset after scoring eBay for months. I'm gonna post the build in a week or so. Through heavy use of eBay I've got almost everything and have spend just under $800

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Broady

by Broady

Second hand caad, Chinese carbon finishing kit, kalloy stem, 1x sram force or something.

mpulsiv

by mpulsiv

Why would you want a fast bike (e.g. race bike) for commuting? Not to mention bumpy roads. Look for used cross bike or gravel bike. Mount 32mm Compass https://www.compasscycle.com/shop/compo ... mpede-pass tires and enjoy a stable and plush ride on bumpy roads. You can pick up Fuji Jari frameset for $500 http://www.fujibikes.com/usa/bikes/road ... -1-1-frame
Racing is a three-dimensional high-speed chess game, involving hundreds of pieces on the board.

:arrow: CBA = Chronic Bike Addiction
:arrow: OCD = Obsessive Cycling Disorder

Miller

by Miller

You might want mudguards (fenders) also if you ever ride on wet or muddy roads. Arriving at work with a wet stripe down your back isn't a good look.

sipowicz

by sipowicz

I already have a steel frame touring bike and a single speed road bike. They serve their purpose. New bike needs to be faster than those two.

sipowicz

by sipowicz

OK, I spent a couple of months on Craigslist and finally a Specialized Allez popped up. It was the right size and quite cheap, so I bought it. The problem is that it has a triple crank and kind of cheap components.

I still have some money for upgrades, but not sure where I should start. It's 2009 model with Shimano BB-ES25 Octalink (68mm x 118mm). What crankset and BB should I look at if I go double? Would 105 (5700/5800) work? Any others that are affordable? This is not a WW bike and it won't be with my budget. I would like to get it to the point where the components are reliable and pleasant to use.

spartacus

by spartacus

sipowicz wrote:I already have a steel frame touring bike and a single speed road bike. They serve their purpose. New bike needs to be faster than those two.

Needs to be faster? lol... pedal faster dude, you don't need a freaking modern racing bike to commute on. That said, buy an old steel racing bike for $200-300 on craigslist and put fenders on it. Done. If you aren't keeping your bike somewhere 100% secure and indoors you would frankly be an idiot to leave a nice racing bike locked up somewhere outside on a regular basis. And that's not even getting to the fact that modern racing bikes don't take fenders.

spartacus

by spartacus

sipowicz wrote:OK, I spent a couple of months on Craigslist and finally a Specialized Allez popped up. It was the right size and quite cheap, so I bought it. The problem is that it has a triple crank and kind of cheap components.

I still have some money for upgrades, but not sure where I should start. It's 2009 model with Shimano BB-ES25 Octalink (68mm x 118mm). What crankset and BB should I look at if I go double? Would 105 (5700/5800) work? Any others that are affordable? This is not a WW bike and it won't be with my budget. I would like to get it to the point where the components are reliable and pleasant to use.

Sell it and get something you can put fenders on.

sipowicz

by sipowicz

spartacus wrote:Sell it and get something you can put fenders on.

Thanks for the advice. I already have bike with fenders.

loudtiger

by loudtiger

How about a fixed gear? I recently picked up a Fuji Track classic, and love it for city use and my work commute.

sipowicz

by sipowicz

I have settled on a road bike because I like riding road bikes. No science behind it - I just like it. Now, can we get back to the crankset question?

silvalis

by silvalis

Just buy a tiagra 4700 crankset and a tiagra HT bb. Cheapest HT crankset available.
Chasse patate

nemeseri

by nemeseri

Seriously. You have sooo many options. The new entry level specialized allez with claris / sora is a very good base and it's $750 / $950 with lifetime guarantee.

The entry level specialized diverge series can take fenders and relatively cheap too.

Two years ago I had a pretty bad crash and I had to buy a random bike for commuting until I got my insurance money. I ended up buying a Bianchi pista steel bike used for $300 with spd-sl pedals. I added some decent brakes from the drawer (ultegra 6600) and sram brake levers. It was such a fun bike to ride. Strong and cheap.

3Pio

by 3Pio

For my commuting duties i use Bianchi Pista bike (Sei Giorni), fixed single speed with Carbon Fork. I just replaced the handlebar and im using BullHorn (Cinelli Lola, and using only front brake with Cane Creek Carbon Fibre Brake lever). Another change from stock i replaced the terrible Hutchinson tires for Continental Grand Prix 4Season.

This bike cost me around 1000 EUR but brand new. Im sure u can find it second hand for much less, or if u go for Steel Bianchi frame (i wanted steel frame as first, but they did not have on stock, so i ended with this one and dont regret after using it for 2.5 years now) u can have it brand new for around 700 eur.

This bike is light, very fast, no maintence at all (in last 2.5 years using everyday i just replaced the chain once and pedals), and fun to ride. I put it SKS fenders, and ride whole season. Just to say after getting this bike, i sold my car :) since i stopped using it for commuting duties. And this bike u can ride in commuting mode, intervals or racing the cars (they are so suprised from accelration on traffic light :) ).. I must mention that riding fixed gear improved my pedaling techniques and my power on my other bikes improved a lot..

Extra is that is looking very good.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com