Weight Weenies
* FAQ    * Search    * Trending Topics
* Login   * Register
HOME Listings Blog NEW Galleries NEW FAQ Contact About Impressum
It is currently Sat Nov 25, 2017 10:56 am

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 9:39 pm 

Ive tried a couple different bottles but I end up being dissatisfied with most of them. My absolute favorite was a Trek branded bottle from many moons ago. I recently lost it and cant seem to find it anywhere on the internet.

So I bought a Camelbak Podium after seeing a ton of praise. Honestly, I really don't like it. It always leaks all over me when squeezed, unless you have the cap on as tight as it will go. Its also hard to squeeze, and you don't get much water. Just a tiny little stream. The jet flow valve is a nice design, but honestly unnecessary. I always just leave it open and it never drizzles out.

So I bought a cheapo from my LBS, and this one makes the water taste like plastic. Ive also bought non cycling bottles which seem to fly out of the bottle cage.

What bottle do you recommend that is super soft and easy to squeeze, no plastic taste, easy to clean, and with a high rate of flow? Also, a traditional mouth piece is fine, as long as I can leave it open without water dribbling out. The cheapo I got dribbles water everywhere when the bottle is full, and Im going over bumps.

Basically, I want to take a big drink with as little effort as possible, a solid leak proof design, and have it taste fresh. Any recommendations?

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 9:49 pm 

Specialized bottles are awesome!!

Posted: Fri May 12, 2017 9:49 pm 

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 9:54 pm 

Can't help you here, brother. I think the Camelbak Podium rocks.
Never put in the dishwasher, because the high heat can warp the cap/bottle interface enough to make it leak. Don't ask how I know this. :smartass:
So mine never leak, keep the contents chilled, and are super tough.
With the right tiny brush, you can disassemble these to some degree and get everything very clean.
The grip and squeeze work well for me, and the flow rate does not bother me.
Only complaint is they are a little on the heavy side.

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 10:03 pm 

I agree with Dolorre. I love my Purists bottles!

I have used both Camelbak and Tacx and didnt like either. The shape of Camelbak didnt seem to like any of my cages, and the Tacx spout fails over time and doesnt remain open.

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 10:03 pm 

eyedrop wrote:
The jet flow valve is a nice design, but honestly unnecessary. I always just leave it open and it never drizzles out.

I only ever lock the valve if I stick a full bottle in my kit bag to take it to a race.

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 10:15 pm 

+1 for the Purest bottles. Never a funky taste.

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 10:39 pm 

Can't beat the Elite Corsa

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 10:44 pm 

yup...Purist bottles. clean taste.

with water gate valve...keeps water from splashing out when hitting the road hard.

- Independent Fabrication Ti FLW + Campy SR11 + Enve 3.4 CK hubs

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 10:51 pm 

Looks like the Specialized Purist MoFlo is just the ticket. They advertise as being easy to squeeze, and they even have a model called "MoFlo" which maximizes the water flow.

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2017 12:03 am 

I use the Camelbak Podium, Elite Super Corsa and Elite Jossanova.

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2017 1:00 am 

I managed to rip the nozzle out of my Elite super corsa the other day while on the bike... no idea how.

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2017 1:24 am 

IMO

There are only two choices..

1. If user experience is your priority Specialized Purist Hydroflo and you can pick the lid you like but it has to be the Hydroflo, not the plain Purist
2. Weight priority Soma Fabrication Crystal Polypropylene.

I have spent unknown man hours on this so much, so that I asked for samples and bids from companies to bulk buy the same type of bottle as Soma Fabrication, as they don't last very long and the lids suck big time. I was going to swap out the lids with a Specialized lids. As bulk price they were about 2 USD each.

This was a a few years ago and just as I was about to bulk buy the Crystal Polypropylene bottles, Specialized released Purist Hydroflo. I said what the hell if they are charging double for it must be good. Then none of my local NorCal shops had any as they weren't in shops yet, but I ran into some guys on a ride who worked at Specialized and they had two in a group of 20 riders : ) I didn't drink from them but I did get to hold it and that was enough.. The plastic is super soft and I think a a high silicon content, so it's much easier to squeeze and the plastic feels nicer in your hands. Specialized Purist Hydroflo is the best. (I am not a Specialized fan at all, all the other stuff I bought from them has failed and they are in the penalty box). I am not sure that Specialized really make the Hydroflo as there is 2nd seller in Amazon so they might be buying them from that seller or Specialized is selling them to the Amazon seller (the price is the same).

C

I think the only real new bottle since then is the Fly Team, and I have read a review were Elite said it's so thin that it won't hold up as an every day bottle and it's only the smaller size.

PSS there are some serious thread here about bottles, one testing if the Insulated bottle make a different (I think they do not as I have to refill on my long slow rides) and a second thread about the weight of a bottle with the water left in the bottle when you can't squeeze any more out. ( that is the thread that sold me on the Soma Fabrication type bottle

PSSS good luck !

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2017 4:44 am 

Camelbak nozzle get gross very soon... functionally very good but...

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2017 5:19 am 

Another vote for Purist. Super high quality.

Posted: Sat May 13, 2017 5:19 am 

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2017 9:12 pm 

uraqt wrote:
IMO

I think the only real new bottle since then is the Fly Team, and I have read a review were Elite said it's so thin that it won't hold up as an every day bottle and it's only the smaller size.

I was given two Elite Fly team bottles recently at a Giro stage, very light (55 grams) but the nozzle is not as good as the old nipple.
Also water drips out under the cover even when closed very tightly.
I quickly converted one to carry the spare tube and tools.