Water bottle reccomendations?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

clm2206

by clm2206

First Elite Fly or Corsa, then Tacx Shiva. Period.

Enviado desde mi SM-J700M mediante Tapatalk

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

jih

by jih

SIS 1000ml water bottle. Then, for most rides, just take one since it holds more than a standard bottle.

milesthedog

by milesthedog

Delorre wrote:Specialized bottles are awesome!!

x2. I have not leaking issues or taste issues with the Purists bottles - I prefer the 'watergate' lid for leaking/flow reasons

Kayrehn

by Kayrehn

I like the watergate lids too as I can leave it open without worrying about leaks instead of having to bite dirty nozzles. The soft plastic that's used for the heart valve can have algae growth/black spots that can't clean off after long time use though.

nickf

by nickf

I really like the Polar insulated bottles. I'm in Florida so I like to carry ice as long as i can. They are ugly but work well and are a standard shape so they work really well in my tune cages. I like the ones with the ZipStream top on it. They fully come apart so you can clean they really well when needed. Also the plastic loop is removable, just a carry handle if.

Swannie

by Swannie

milesthedog wrote:
Delorre wrote:Specialized bottles are awesome!!

x2. I have not leaking issues or taste issues with the Purists bottles - I prefer the 'watergate' lid for leaking/flow reasons

i used to think the same!
last year however i bought these => Image

And they leak as hell!
Could it be because i put them in dishwasher after every ride?
Yesterday i ordered some 'sponser' bottles, they should arrive today.

milesthedog

by milesthedog

Swannie wrote:And they leak as hell!
Could it be because i put them in dishwasher after every ride?

hmmm, I put mine in the d/w daily as well and mine aren't leaking, though the lining on the inside is wearing off after a year of heavy use and they're starting to taste like plastic... but no leaking even when running and the bottle is shaken like hell while being hand held

sungjinmo

by sungjinmo

Rapha Bidon will be fine~

mpulsiv

by mpulsiv

Insulated bottles are utterly pointless with unnecessary weight penalty in this sport. Average rider will consume a full bottle within 60-120 minutes. Its irrelevant whether you sweat or not. If you don't finish a bottle water in that timeframe, you are doing yourself a disservice and taking a toll on your well-being. This timeframe is not long enough to justify for its insulation. The delta is ~ 2 degrees in water temperature, even with ice cubes. Insulated water bottles are great if you don't plan on drinking for at least 4 hours.
Racing is a three-dimensional high-speed chess game, involving hundreds of pieces on the board.

:arrow: CBA = Chronic Bike Addiction
:arrow: OCD = Obsessive Cycling Disorder

TonyM

by TonyM

mpulsiv wrote:Insulated bottles are utterly pointless with unnecessary weight penalty in this sport. Average rider will consume a full bottle within 60-120 minutes. Its irrelevant whether you sweat or not. If you don't finish a bottle water in that timeframe, you are doing yourself a disservice and taking a toll on your well-being. This timeframe is not long enough to justify for its insulation. The delta is ~ 2 degrees in water temperature, even with ice cubes. Insulated water bottles are great if you don't plan on drinking for at least 4 hours.

Agree for the summer.
But in the winter when it is 2-3 degrees outside I find them quite useful.

nickf

by nickf

I have to disagree. Even without ice when I refill the water just stays cooler, even in that second bottle when I do get to it. Water gets hot when sitting in a standard bottle in 90+ degree heat.

kgt

by kgt

I agree that an insulated bottle does not offer much in practice. IME a normal bottle with ice cubes is a much better option.

mpulsiv

by mpulsiv

nickf wrote:I have to disagree. Even without ice when I refill the water just stays cooler, even in that second bottle when I do get to it. Water gets hot when sitting in a standard bottle in 90+ degree heat.

Have you done any fundamental tests to claim that it's stays cooler in insulated water bottle? Well, I have (e.g. with ice cubes, without ice cubes, with thermometer inside, in the sun, in humidity) and I'm telling you that delta is ~ 2 degrees.
Define "define water gets hot when sitting". Are you taking your water bottle to the beach and let it sit in the sun?
Racing is a three-dimensional high-speed chess game, involving hundreds of pieces on the board.

:arrow: CBA = Chronic Bike Addiction
:arrow: OCD = Obsessive Cycling Disorder

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

DeLuz

by DeLuz

I have used Camelback but don't like them because they grow black mold very easily and leak.
Specialized Purist is the best, no mold, no leak.
I just got an insulated version and really like it, I find it keeps the ice from melting much longer than the non insulated.