SRM Origin : real specs??

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Delorre

by Delorre

This one has been announced for a couple of months now, and finally available, but there's not that much real info on the WWW. Initial weight was 599gr (99gr per carbon arm), but now, most sites, incl SRM, claim 640 gr and 124gr per arm. What happend in those few months? Or is it 640gr with 53/39 and was the 599 for the 50/34 combo maybe? Are there verified weights? And then, there's the axles. SRM claim limitless compatibility, there are 3 axle lenghts, but of an unknown diameter, and nowhere can you find any info on what axle lenght is compatible with what type of frameset and what BB is needed to use the Origin crankset? Even the 'manual' section of the SRM site is not up to date and not any info regarding the most recent crankset offering. WTF are they thinking? How do they hope to sell those, with that less real, usefull info?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Delorre

by Delorre

Strange there is no more interest in this crankset over here.

* SRM has been a benchmark in powermeters
* Origin has to be one of the lightest axle based PM's in the market. Axle based is supposed to be very relaiable and power = power, regarless if it's coming from left of right leg. Big + vs Stages f.ex
* You keep the brilliant Shimano shifting, as you keep the OEM chainrings
* there is a rechargable option, wich is a very nice upgrade from the older SRM cranksets.

sungod

by sungod

imho srm have never been that good at giving clear/detailed info

the srm website says...
The LOOK carbon crank arm weighs 127 grams including Trilobe pedal inserts. The aluminium version comes with more cost effective and durable aluminium arms, 170 grams, also designed by SRM.

srm shop says...
PowerMeter weight: 640 grams with carbon cranks, 53/39 chainrings, 133mm spindle and axle screws

640g for a standard pm seems good, logically the axle is 24mm, and you're stuck with shimano rings (barring the x1 option which seems to have a different body design though maybe it's just cosmetic difference?)

against a 'standard' shimano srm there's some weight saving, plus the trilobe cranks, and for those who are willing to buy extra axles (somehow) and chainrings there's the ability to move to different frames, though i'd think that's a limited market, and they don't say if it would affect calibration swapping all the bits

going after the largest market with shimano probably makes sense, but if you don't want shimano then tough

imho it's just a lighter shimano srm with trilobe cranks to avoid the need to stock different crank lengths, unless/until they give some other options all the 'modular' claims are just marketing bs

Irwinrider

by Irwinrider

Delorre wrote:Strange there is no more interest in this crankset over here.

* SRM has been a benchmark in powermeters
* Origin has to be one of the lightest axle based PM's in the market. Axle based is supposed to be very relaiable and power = power, regarless if it's coming from left of right leg. Big + vs Stages f.ex
* You keep the brilliant Shimano shifting, as you keep the OEM chainrings
* there is a rechargable option, wich is a very nice upgrade from the older SRM cranksets.

I think they missed the boat a long time ago. Everyone talks about being the benchmark. I've had and used PM6 and PM7 as well as several quarqs. The PM6 was the last SRM design, the PM7 just tried to copy quarq. (Bend gages versus cheaper to build shear gages). It might have been they opened the quarq or it might have been looking for a cheaper way. I noticed this when I changed my own batteries in the SRM rather than about 200 Euro's once it crossed borders and shipping.

The new design is light, and I heard the 9100 rings do fit, if not look hideously mismatched, but a lot of people I knew felt SRM was the "Shimano" option and with this change it just looks like a mismash of things thrown together out of the "what's light" parts bin. I mean, for the 9000 series they were still using 7800 cranks (referred to as SR71) with the arms milled off. I think they need to trim the origin price to 20% above Quarq, waterproof the pc8 and drop it's price below the edge 520 then I think more people would be interested in this thread.

Last two generations of Quarq and even stages has active themperature compensation and now BLE.

While I had two SRM's I never used their head units. I had the PC7 but it never made sense to me (put in drawer). The garmins did 5 times the PC7 at 1/3 the price and now the PC8 isn't even waterproof! For a spider solution for shimano and you don't mind mismashing some components, put a Quarq D4 on it.

mrgray

by mrgray

oh i'm very interested! i'm waiting for the origin in the campagnolo line. they previewed one ages ago but now all i see is the shimano and i am not interested in that. i have used only p2max and srm and i am a big fan of the latter. a big reason for that is the pc7. these days pc7's go for a $100 bucks and they are:
- indestructible
- near infallible
- multi-coloured
- never require recharging (other than incidental charging which occurs when downloading data)

srm's are turning up on 2nd hand market reasonably priced these days for what they are in my opinion (very reliable, long battery life, good integration) and combined with a pc7 i just don't feel like you can do much better (unless of course gps is important to you).

the preview of the origin campagnolo srm (if that is what it is called) looked very good in my opinion. i currently have a pre-2015 and a post 2015 and i think it looks better than both of them. i'm not too sure about the utility of the rechargeable battery. the current system where one gets 3,000 hours out of a battery is pretty good if you ask me. i wonder what the rating will be between charges. if still long i imagine it will be a cool improvement.

I've used Garmin quite alot too (i usually duplicate with a watch). I had a lot of reliability issues with the 500 but have had none with the 935 i am now on (925xt was also good). but one can forget to turn it on. i really like how the battery for the pc7 is always good, it captures highest resolution data and it captures all data. can be set so that as soon as wheel starts turning, it auto records. big fan.

i will say the pc8, being as someone states above, not waterproof, is a bit of a disaster in my opinion. i just don't understand how that is acceptable for an $800 bike computer.
Bobo S&S Steel Bike - 7.5 kg
Oltre XR2- 6.6 kg
Look 585 - 6.8 kg
Look 695 SR :D

rmba

by rmba

669g with 53x42 chainrings on.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com