how does campy stay in business

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

rpowell

by rpowell

the campy press release for disc brakes is total word salad...
In developing professional grade disc rotors, as with brake pads, the fundamental key to not only extreme performance but also safety and reliability is incorporating maximum resistance to heat.

and you can use disc or disk but please just pick one and go with it. uggg...okay rant over. i feel better.
https://www.campagnolo.com/US/en/CampyW ... ke_project

and why are they so defensive about magura doing the design?

duvivr6

by duvivr6

Please, I know this is just a silly rant but...

Campagnolo makes a great product with heritage and durability. I am happy to be the low percentage of folks with campy on my bikes (from my 8 speed steelie to my EPS Carbon ride).

People buy a lot of crappy products that advertisement sells them that are not even close to the level of this company.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Asteroid

by Asteroid

They did write a very wordy bit there. Long sentences without commas loses the reader. Maybe it doesn't translate well from Italian!
The line about it decelerating 23% to 26% faster than their competition (paraphrasing here) made me chuckle. :noidea:
Cool looking bike splashed across the top, though. Campy does seem like a late-comer to the game. Hope they got a winner here.
Oldbie

Zakalwe

by Zakalwe

Who reads press releases?

wwnick

by wwnick

------------------------------------------------------

AJS914

by AJS914

I'm surprised that you guys aren't critiquing the photo of the bike! :-)

corky

by corky

You think that's bad, try reading their technical documentation......it's all part of the charm

TonyM

by TonyM

I still think either you love Campa (and everything which is associated with it is either great or if not then it is part of heritage etc...) and you don't.
Based on all people (and reviews) claiming that Campa is superior I gave a try on my C60 2 years ago (Super Record Mech.) and I have to admit that it works good. Yes. But not more. My 25 y.o. Dura Ace STi actually works even better/ smoother.

However Campa has definitely the "italian flair", especially here in the US/ Canada. Being also more expensive helps the marketing ("something exclusive...."). I lived in France, Germany and Switzerland and cannot remember having heard so much positive about Campa there. In France, Germany, Belgium, Holland etc.. Ultegra is really liked (value for the money).

For my next bike (S-Works Tarmac), I will personally go back to Dura Ace (or SRAM eTap) and keep the "Italian flair" on my Colnago C60 :mrgreen:

Simonsdad

by Simonsdad

Ok so I'm a sucker for Campagnolo, but I think the recent releases of disc groupset and wheels are a fairly good effort. Centaur looks good too.

For a company 1/20th (or whatever) the size of Shimano with obvious limits on the amount they can spend on R and D, I think they have done a great job.

I also wonder how they stay in business. I met Mr Campagnolo last year and he seems like a modest and genuine guy. I'm guessing he sees the company and his employees as his responsibility , it carries his father's name, he wants to make good products and fortunately doesn't have ravenous shareholders to answer to. I'm sure he's comfortable, but he wasn't dripping with gold jewelery and a Ferrari.

I also toured the factory in Vicenza, and it was staffed by EU paid workers and was relatively modern metal working factory. It's a wonder to me how they can sell some of their stuff and similar prices to the big 2 when lots of their stuff is made in low wage countries. (I know Campagnolo make stuff in Romania too).

Sure there is will be issues with Campagnolo: weird translations, availability issues, questionable decisions (powertorque, overtorque) mid model changes that no one tells us about, but hey, at least you don't get bored being a Campagnolo fan. Long may it continue.

Rob

bikerjulio

by bikerjulio

I cannot bear to look again, but for years their website had "break" and "brake" in the same section of text.

Not to mention the many years of misunderstandings caused by calling the retention clip on an UT cup a "safety clip".

And this has been going on for ever.

One can only conclude that they don't give a rats arse.

Is there not one cheap english speaking person on the world willing to review their marketing and tech docs?

I just had to torture myself once again:

their shifters have both this

Triple hole break lever

and this a few lines down

Double curvature brake lever

aaaarrrrrrrrrrrrrrrnooooooooooooo

https://www.campagnolo.com/WW/en/Mechanical_Groupsets/super_record/road
There's sometimes a buggy.
How many drivers does a buggy have?

One.

So let's just say I'm drivin' this buggy...
and if you fix your attitude you can ride along with me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GekiIMh4ZkM

AJS914

by AJS914

I also wonder how they stay in business.

They stay in business by selling their product at enough of a profit to keep everybody employed and business moving forward or at least keeping it alive. They have enough fans. They don't need to be a Shimano.

I've been a Campy fan forever because when I started riding in the late 70s a Record group was the best. Dura Ace didn't even exist yet. I rode 7 speed Ultegra STi shifters and derailleurs on my crit bike for a while because Campy didn't have a product and STi was a game changer for criterium racing and changing gears during the final sprint. After that I went back to 9 speed Ergo and have been with Campy ever since. I thought the thumb shifter was a benefit for sprinters.

Shimano parts just leave me cold from an aesthetic point of view. Campagnolo stuff is just gorgeous. I'm sure Shimano works just great but I'll stick with Campy.

Mr.Gib

by Mr.Gib

When I am not on my bike I am a professor of marketing. I could not get through it. It reads like one long apology for being late and not really knowing much about hydraulic disc braking systems.

Whoever is responsible for their marketing communications probably has never bothered to learn what is important to a potential purchaser of this new product. What a mess. Hope the product is good.

How do they stay in business? My guess is that some of us place a high value on heritage and European origins. Personally I find my record group very pretty so I'm a happy customer (not a fan of the ergonomics though).
wheelsONfire wrote: When we ride disc brakes the whole deal of braking is just like a leaving a fart. It happens and then it's over. Nothing planned and nothing to get nervous for.

ichobi

by ichobi

If anything they make one of the best road wheels in business. I could careless about their groupset, but the Shamals, the Boras, the Fulcrums...if they stop everything else and keep only wheels business they will be just fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TonyM

by TonyM

ichobi wrote:If anything they make one of the best road wheels in business. I could careless about their groupset, but the Shamals, the Boras, the Fulcrums...if they stop everything else and keep only wheels business they will be just fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

+1 :thumbup:

havana

by havana

How do they stay in business? Simple: wheels (incl. Fulcrum). That's the money maker.

In terms of group sets, they are now a niche player, nothing more than that.
Editor-in-chief CycloWorld.cc - the largest database of gran fondo's and sportives in the world.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com