Weight Weenies
* FAQ    * Search    * Trending Topics
* Login   * Register
HOME Listings Blog NEW Galleries NEW FAQ Contact About Impressum
It is currently Sat Nov 25, 2017 4:54 am

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 2:55 pm 

I picked this up from Amazon Warehouse for $360 in "like new" condition. Assuming it arrives as such, is this still good reliable tech? Do I need to worry about the factory calibration being off?

It's Amazon, so I have some time to try and decide whether to return..

Last edited by Clean39T on Fri May 12, 2017 2:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 7:27 pm 

Bump - forgot to insert the pic..

Posted: Fri May 12, 2017 7:27 pm 

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 7:39 pm 

This looks like a Cinqo Saturn. I've used multiple ones but mainly had a GXP for the longest time. I can't speak to BB30 (any bike I used with BB30 had adapters to 24mm spindles.

It's generally reliable, but eventually I had some offset issues that were resolved by properly torquing the chainring bolts based on what Quarq support said. They said if it couldn't be resolved they offered me a discount on Elsa / Riken / Red. So if anything goes wrong I don't know if you'll be covered -- probably offer a discount.

The downside is the CR2450 battery that can be rare to find. It's not thermally compensated, so you have to re-zero (should) like an SRM unlike the newer Dzero or older Riken/Elsa. Otherwise I found mine reliable. It's going to lack some of the newer features but for the price you paid it's only a little more expensive than a crank and a little heavier.

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 9:12 pm 

Irwinrider wrote:
This looks like a Cinqo Saturn. I've used multiple ones but mainly had a GXP for the longest time. I can't speak to BB30 (any bike I used with BB30 had adapters to 24mm spindles.

It's generally reliable, but eventually I had some offset issues that were resolved by properly torquing the chainring bolts based on what Quarq support said. They said if it couldn't be resolved they offered me a discount on Elsa / Riken / Red. So if anything goes wrong I don't know if you'll be covered -- probably offer a discount.

The downside is the CR2450 battery that can be rare to find. It's not thermally compensated, so you have to re-zero (should) like an SRM unlike the newer Dzero or older Riken/Elsa. Otherwise I found mine reliable. It's going to lack some of the newer features but for the price you paid it's only a little more expensive than a crank and a little heavier.

Thanks for the thorough reply. I don't think I need left/right balance figures, and I like the magnet-based cadence for accuracy. I've used a Specialized Speedzone Quarq, which I think is the Riken/Elsa platform.

How would I know if it's reading accurately though? I know what 500w vs 200w feels like, but 200w vs. 225w, not so much. So whether it's initial accuracy, or day to day consistency, how do I judge it?

It is cheap, but I also don't like headaches and I'm guessing a Stages would be more idiot-proof.

Maybe I'll just see if this one works decently and save for an SRM or P2M.

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 9:46 pm 

I have the elsa quarq which is just an undated version and its been reliable and as accurate as the srm on my other bike. One thing that is hit or miss is where you get batteries, it seems like 1 lasts 3 months and another 2 days. One thing to remember is if it is a cinqo Saturn it doesn't have the auto calibrate when changing rings like the newer quarq.