Cannondale 2016 Caad 12 and Super Six HM fork difference

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

sjoerdth

by sjoerdth

So long story short: does the 2016 Caad 12 have the same fork as the 2016 Super Six and what is the difference between the non-HM and HM fork? Just weight and if so how much?

I'm currently looking into the possibility of buying a 2016 Super Six Hi Mod frameset, the bright red one which I saw at a bikeshow in 2015 and absolutely love. But the fork is 2016 Caad 12 of the same color.

So I was wondering if there are any major differences between the HM and the Caad 12 fork, other than the Caad 12 decal which I don't mind.

I have done some sherlocking myself and the red 2016 Caad 12 seems to be the mechanical Ultegra version which comes with this fork: CAAD12, SPEED SAVE, BallisTec full carbon, 1-1/8" to 1-1/4" steerer, integrated crown race. Which I think is the same as the Super Six non-HM fork: SuperSix EVO, BallisTec Carbon, SPEED SAVE, 1-1/8" to 1-1/4" steerer. The descriptions don't match one to one, but that's probably more of a marketing thing. They look very much the same.

The description of the HM forks does contain the term "Hi Mod" which makes me believe there's probably some difference.
Last edited by sjoerdth on Fri May 12, 2017 11:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

garjo

by garjo

Caad12=non hi mod fork
Caad12blackinc=hi mod fork
Difference between non HM and HM fork is about 80/100gr
My 4,93 kg Supersix Evo HM: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=137647&start=30

My 6,22 kg Cannondale R500 1996: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=134364

snowdevlin

by snowdevlin

The weight difference is around 70g, I bought a caad12 black inc frameset from U.K., and it came with the ballistec fork, not the HM one.
My guess is only the fully built bike comes with the HM fork version, but no one from cannondale was kind enough to reply the emails and say anything.

sjoerdth

by sjoerdth

snowdevlin wrote:but no one from cannondale was kind enough to reply the emails and say anything.

Also tried to contact them, through social media though, couldn't even find an e-mailaddress or a contactform on their website. Still amazes me how bad some companies are in communicating directly with their customers in this day and age.

So distilling from your replies, I'm right in assuming the forks on the Caad 12 and the Super Six are the same? Between 70 and 100 grams on a fork is a lot relatively, but no dealbreaker for me.

garjo

by garjo

snowdevlin wrote:The weight difference is around 70g, I bought a caad12 black inc frameset from U.K., and it came with the ballistec fork, not the HM one.
My guess is only the fully built bike comes with the HM fork version, but no one from cannondale was kind enough to reply the emails and say anything.

And so non hi mod supersix, having a non hi mod fork, have a worst fork than caad12? I don't think so..
Ballistec and hi mod should be the same thing
My 4,93 kg Supersix Evo HM: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=137647&start=30

My 6,22 kg Cannondale R500 1996: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=134364

snowdevlin

by snowdevlin

garjo wrote:
snowdevlin wrote:The weight difference is around 70g, I bought a caad12 black inc frameset from U.K., and it came with the ballistec fork, not the HM one.

And so non hi mod supersix, having a non hi mod fork, have a worst fork than caad12? I don't think so..
Ballistec and hi mod should be the same thing

And yet, they're not.
Cannondale has two types of carbon stuff, ballistec, the "regular" version, and HM, lighter and naturally more expensive.
Caad12 and non HM bikes have this carbon, HM bikes, as advertised have HM carbon. Easy.

snowdevlin

by snowdevlin

sjoerdth wrote:So distilling from your replies, I'm right in assuming the forks on the Caad 12 and the Super Six are the same? Between 70 and 100 grams on a fork is a lot relatively, but no dealbreaker for me.

Yep caad12 and the supersix (non HM) share the same fork :thumbup:

sjoerdth

by sjoerdth

Got a reply through facebook messenger from the Dutch branch of Cannondale, confirming that indeed the most expensive Caad 12 has the same fork as Super Six HM and the other Caad 12 versions have the same fork as non-HM Super Six models.

snowdevlin

by snowdevlin

sjoerdth wrote:Got a reply through facebook messenger from the Dutch branch of Cannondale, confirming that indeed the most expensive Caad 12 has the same fork as Super Six HM and the other Caad 12 versions have the same fork as non-HM Super Six models.

That's what I was thinking...
funny fact no one ever mentions. The black inc frameset, and that's why I won't get a reply, they feel reluctant to admit that version has a standard fork. IMO of course :-)

lowside67

by lowside67

sjoerdth wrote:Got a reply through facebook messenger from the Dutch branch of Cannondale, confirming that indeed the most expensive Caad 12 has the same fork as Super Six HM and the other Caad 12 versions have the same fork as non-HM Super Six models.

snowdevlin wrote:That's what I was thinking...
funny fact no one ever mentions. The black inc frameset, and that's why I won't get a reply, they feel reluctant to admit that version has a standard fork. IMO of course :-)

I think there is a discrepancy here. According to sjoerdth, "the most expensive CAAD 12" has the high-mod fork. The most expensive CAAD12 is the Black... therefore the Black version does NOT have a standard fork.

Mark

snowdevlin

by snowdevlin

lowside67 wrote:

snowdevlin wrote:That's what I was thinking...

I think there is a discrepancy here. According to sjoerdth, "the most expensive CAAD 12" has the high-mod fork. The most expensive CAAD12 is the Black... therefore the Black version does NOT have a standard fork.

Mark

And yet, the black inc frameset sold in U.K. Does have that fork.

Stats

by Stats

The slightly dodgy detail in this years (2017) spec bikes is the Supersix 'Hi-Mod' Ultegra bike... although stated as a hi-mod - the fork is actually a standard mod fork - same as the standard CAAD 12 and standard Supersix's (unlike last years bike of the same spec which had a full hi-mod frameset). There's no HM designation on the fork and the spec sheet also reflects the short changed build... despite the same rrp as last year.

The Cannondale Supersix Hi-Mod 2 is the first bike with a full HM frameset this year.

I think it's wrong to call a bike Hi-Mod and sneak a standard fork in... and what's the point if you don't get both - is the fork really that much more expensive?!

lilocaad12

by lilocaad12

i just bought the 2016 caad12 black inc and can confirm it has the same fork as the supersix high mod one.

snowdevlin

by snowdevlin

The 2016 should be like that, not the 2017 black inc frameset being sold in U.K. Retailers. This was confirmed after a week of messaging with cannondale US.

2lo8

by 2lo8

So black inc is now just black paint?
[14lb(6.35kg) of no carbon fiber]
[2lo8.wordpress.com]
Your one-stop source for information and reviews on cheap eBay bike junk.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com