Weight Weenies
* FAQ    * Search    * Trending Topics
* Login   * Register
HOME Listings Blog NEW Galleries NEW FAQ Contact About Impressum
It is currently Sun Oct 22, 2017 4:20 am

All times are UTC+01:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 106 posts ]  Go to page Previous 14 5 6 7 8 Next
PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 5:57 pm 

totalcompactroad wrote:
The bicycle industry is a business at the end of they day, their aim is to make more money.

Seeing disc brakes become prevalent will sell more bikes. Fact.

I'd agree they are by no means perfect at the moment, I work in a bike shop and we see a lot more issues with hydraulic disc's than we ever have with rim brakes. As we get a few generations in they will be more reliable and lighter etc.

You could also argue the pushing of road disc is a by-product of the strict rules the UCI have regarding weight limits and frame design. If manufacturers can't innovate with those two things they are going to have to find something else new to add interest.

This sounds like the voice of someone who knows.
Just curious, which issues with discs are the most common that are popping up with bikes coming through your shop?
I know Ive found road disc a pain the in butt to bleed perfectly, and it seems like pads wear pretty fast.... but haven't had anything break or leak....

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 10:36 pm 

thumper88 wrote:

This sounds like the voice of someone who knows.
Just curious, which issues with discs are the most common that are popping up with bikes coming through your shop?
I know Ive found road disc a pain the in butt to bleed perfectly, and it seems like pads wear pretty fast.... but haven't had anything break or leak....

Shimano road disc's seem to have had issues with the oil leaking through and contaminating the pads, On top of that we have the usual squealing/juddering/fading etc which I'm assuming isn't just limited to road disc. But we had a lot less back when they came stock with mechanical disc brakes (TRP spyres)

Posted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 10:36 pm 

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2017 7:11 pm 

But disc brakes are the answer for the heat related and crappy braking problems of carbon rims :-)

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2017 7:15 pm 

wwnick wrote:
i just read about the death of mp3 today, no more devices will be licenced to play mp3. the consumer has no say in the matter whatsoever. sound familiar?

not sent from a P.O.S standards incompatible iPhone/Android ;-)

Amazon still sells music in mp3 format. As Mark Twain once said, "Rumors of my death have been greatly exaggerated."

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2017 11:09 pm 

wwnick wrote:
i just read about the death of mp3 today, no more devices will be licenced to play mp3. the consumer has no say in the matter whatsoever. sound familiar?

That's because the patent has expired and now anyone can use the format for free - a licence is no longer required. The format is not dead (but has, arguably, been superseded).

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 1:20 am 

raisinberry777 wrote:
wwnick wrote:

That's because the patent has expired and now anyone can use the format for free - a licence is no longer required. The format is not dead (but has, arguably, been superseded).

It's the only universal format that's supported on all devices.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 8:00 am 

MikeD wrote:
But disc brakes are the answer for the heat related and crappy braking problems of carbon rims :-)

This is my reason for moving to a disc brake bike

Happened on final decent Image

Bike is 7.2kgs including pedals and on original 1635gm wheels. No WW but still some scope...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 8:24 am 

totalcompactroad wrote:

Shimano road disc's seem to have had issues with the oil leaking through and contaminating the pads, On top of that we have the usual squealing/juddering/fading etc which I'm assuming isn't just limited to road disc. But we had a lot less back when they came stock with mechanical disc brakes (TRP spyres)

From your perspective, How does TRP Spyre perform in the grand scheme of things? Based on riders feedback, they work fine with Yokozuna compressionless housing, lighter, simpler and less maintenance.

:arrow: CBA = Chronic Bike Addiction
:arrow: OCD = Obsessive Cycling Disorder

:nospamhere:

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 8:40 am 

^ i have used spare / hydro / juin r1 and shimano road hydraulic.

juin with compressionless housing is closest to shimano, but shimano significantly better imho.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 10:06 am 

raisinberry777 wrote:
wwnick wrote:

actually the patents relating to MP3 are still current. the overseers have chosen to not licence MP3 any more.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 11:07 am 

wwnick wrote:
raisinberry777 wrote:
wwnick wrote:

actually the patents relating to MP3 are still current. the overseers have chosen to not licence MP3 any more.

Indeed, you are correct :oops: Although it turns out Fraunhofer's patent expires in December, so it was close to it in any case.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 11:16 am 

raisinberry777 wrote:
wwnick wrote:
raisinberry777 wrote:
wwnick wrote:

Indeed, you are correct :oops: Although it turns out Fraunhofer's patent expires in December, so it was close to it in any case.

yes, i must admit I should be a little embarrassed too, being so pedantic as to quote a patent expiring in less than 6 months. and maybe my original point was wrong, and they have stopped licensing it as indeed it will be "open" soon and there will be no future profit to be made :oops:

anyhow, still, disc brakes do not belong on racing bikes :D

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 11:36 am 

Squashednuts wrote:
MikeD wrote:

Bike is 7.2kgs including pedals and on original 1635gm wheels. No WW but still some scope...

97 kg, lightweight clinchers, col du glandon, alp d'huez and galibier. No problem? And saw alot of people on disc brakes with problems on the decents. So maybe it's the rider?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 11:54 am 

Nejmann wrote:
Squashednuts wrote:
MikeD wrote:

97 kg, lightweight clinchers, col du glandon, alp d'huez and galibier. No problem? And saw alot of people on disc brakes with problems on the decents. So maybe it's the rider?

Along the lines of "a bad workman always blames his tools"...not biting
You maybe right, may be the rider.

But isn't that just an argument for using discs?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 12:48 pm 

Disc brakes, brake pad drag (wearing brake discs)
This is why Hope made RX4.

Ax Lightness Vial EVO D
Paduano Racing Fidia
Open *UP*
https://opencycle.com/showcase/the-xplo ... eelsonfire

Posted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 12:48 pm 

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 106 posts ]  Go to page Previous 14 5 6 7 8 Next