Could you get away with a cog/derailleur pulley this tight? [PIC]

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Shrike

by Shrike

eTap short cage on the missus' Aeroad. 32 cassette. It shifts up fine, but looks sooo tight. Pulley actually gives a little rattle to let me know it's not too happy :P Cute, but I'm planning on making her work anyway. What's the worst case scenario on this sort of situation? It's a bail out gear to be used rarely, I mean like once a week at best and only then for a minute or two. We don't live around any ridiculous climbs but have started heading out to some stuff that has 20% and that's too grindy. Want to spin faster.

Bonus: tried to put the wheel on the S5 (also eTap). No chance. Doubt it'd even take a 30. Will get more pics tomorrow and see what you think. Might have to throw a compact inner on it to get faster on the harder stuff i.e. 52/34.

euph

by euph

You're willing to put the derailleur at that much of a stretch just to avoid putting compact chainrings on? Just put a nice cassette and go for compact. Your wife doesn't find herself spinning out 52x11 does she?

Sent from my LG-D855 using Tapatalk

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

elzilcho

by elzilcho

In the first picture it looks like you still have a good amount of threads on the B screw to play with. Should be able to get a little bit more clearance there.

Shrike

by Shrike

@euph, she has compact chainrings. That shot was with a 50/34 on the front.

@elzilcho thanks! forgot about the B Screw. Will try! :P

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

You will have an issue with chain wrap capacity. Although no one will or should cross-chain, mistakes can and will happen. If your wife mistakenly shifts into 52x32 the derailleur or frame could be damaged. If you intentionally make the chain long, shifting into 34x11 will leave the chain too slack.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Shrike

by Shrike

@pdlpsher, yes, things like that are what I was looking to hear. She knows not to put it into the 50x32, but like you say, mistakes happen. Actually going to try the 50x32 in a minute to see what that looks like.

Think I wasn't clear in my first post:

Her bike: 50x32
My bike: 52x34

@elzilcho, had a quick play with the B screw on her bike, it's now perfect. Runs super smooth!

Which made me try the S5 again after putting the B screw all the way in.. it does fit now, but it's a little rattly. Will try it this weekend. If the rattle is too worrying, I now know at least that a 30 with eTap is perfectly fine on this frame.

S5 with the 52x34 11-32

euph

by euph

Sorry for misinterpreting you there! Glad adjusting the B Screw has worked.

Sent from my LG-D855 using Tapatalk

bikerjulio

by bikerjulio

As mentioned already you no doubt have an issue with insufficient chain takeup with that gearing combo.

The safe solution is to size the chain in the big-big with the derailleur in it's "stretched but safe" position.

The system will run out of capacity when in the small ring and smallest sprockets, but at least nothing will break.
There's sometimes a buggy.
How many drivers does a buggy have?

One.

So let's just say I'm drivin' this buggy...
and if you fix your attitude you can ride along with me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GekiIMh4ZkM

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com