New Bontrager xxx carbon saddle

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

addictR1

by addictR1

Does Berk have the 143mm version

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Berk
Carbon Cowboy

by Berk

Not a collaboration, but it seems that also Trek likes our design

dudemanppl wrote:Or buy a Berk Lupina for under $240 USD shipped to your door and support a forum member? I hope nobody here buys this saddle.

:beerchug:

We only have it in 132mm and 150mm.

If padded it adds 4mm on each side, so the 132mm is actually a 140mm (the same saddle shell is used for the padded Lupina saddle,s as the full carbon Lupina)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

mdeth1313

by mdeth1313

If it breaks I'm sure trek will come up with some way to deny warranty, like it wasn't on a bontrager (or other trek proprietary part).
Speedplay is the devil!

Seedster

by Seedster

Saddle was obviously inspired by the Lupina. I have a padded and unpadded Lupinas. Save money all while supporting an active member like Jure

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gewichtweenie

by gewichtweenie

golfsierra wrote:$380 in US it seems. Looks interesting, may see if LBS can get one.

can't wait to see the marketing ad-lib they use to justify this price.

"we designed the saddle using FEA to optimize flex at the wings for the maximum comfort while minimizing the nose profile for aerodynamics, meanwhile, the carbon layup schedule was refined to reduce weight yet strengthening the rails to enable resonance transfer ensuring the rider can 'listen' to minute changes in surface texture as they carve down canyons"

Johnny Rad

by Johnny Rad

Here's another vote for Berk's UNpadded Lupina saddle. No Bontrager for me!

I'm a ride or three away from tallying 2K mi on mine and it's been dreamy. Zero issues.

Another poster hypothesized that its slightly flexy nature takes the buzz out of the road. Probably true.

<><><> <><><> Suspect that Trek Bontrager's pricing was optimized on a required GP%. No more, no less. Ha!

clipsed

by clipsed

It looks and feels a lot more like a narrow Specialized S-works Romin than a berk lupina to me..

Canchet

by Canchet

It's very comfortable and super super light, at only 67g. I have a Montrose Comp and a Selle San Marco Aspide Superleggera. I would say it is as comfortable as the any of those on long rides (3+ Hours)
Attachments
It's very comfortable and super super light, at only 67g. I have a Montrose Comp and a Selle San Marco Aspide Superleggera. I would say it is as comfortable as the any of those on long rides (3+ Hours)

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

Oh my do want. After about 9-12 months my behind starts hating whatever saddle I’m using and we’ll ut time again
2024 BMC TeamMachine R Building
2018 BMC TImeMachine Road
2002 Moots Compact-SL- getting aero look makeover
2019 Parlee Z0XD - "classified"
2023 Pivot E-Vault - completed project, full Xplr package

Frankie - B
Admin - In the industry

by Frankie - B

nickf wrote:
Sat May 13, 2017 9:31 pm
This one is made in the USA so that's a plus.
I had to lift an eyebrow reading this. Is this an American thing?
'Tape was made to wrap your GF's gifts, NOT hold a freakin tire on.'
If you want to see 'meh' content of me and my bike you can follow my life in pictures here!

NICKWANG

by NICKWANG

Despite of weight deviation, does anyone compare xxx saddle with 2018 s-works romin evo? I have one serano rxl and one s-works romin evo, serano is really a torture to my sensitive area even though I have adjusted many times. Madone9 is only compatible for 7x7 and 7x10 saddle rails, that sucks! I'm looking for a bontrager saddle which the curvature of frontend is close to s-works romin so I can save my ass but also sit longer on my bike. Artscyclery says romin has a flat surface in terms of the profile...

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

NICKWANG wrote:
Fri Mar 30, 2018 4:10 am
Despite of weight deviation, does anyone compare xxx saddle with 2018 s-works romin evo? I have one serano rxl and one s-works romin evo, serano is really a torture to my sensitive area even though I have adjusted many times. Madone9 is only compatible for 7x7 and 7x10 saddle rails, that sucks! I'm looking for a bontrager saddle which the curvature of frontend is close to s-works romin so I can save my ass but also sit longer on my bike. Artscyclery says romin has a flat surface in terms of the profile...
1) You can get 7x9mm ears for your Madone seatmast. Any Trek dealer should be able to order them for you.
2) I ran a 7x9mm S-Works saddle with 7x10mm ears without issue.

I'm assuming the main issue with the Serrano is the lack of a cutout. As far as shape goes, the Romin Evo isn't quite flat. It has a slight cradle to it. The XXX is probably flatter. Other nominal differences. The Bontrager XXX is 250mm while the S-Works Romin Evo is 260mm. An S-Works Power is 240mm. The XXX only comes in 138mm and the Romin Evo is available in 143 and 155mm.

I like to change my position from aggressive to very aggressive, so I like narrower, flatter saddles. I have been riding ISM Performance Narrow saddles for this reason, but the Bontrager XXX is now on sale, so I might pick one up.

spud

by spud

the cradle/flatness relates to how you set the Romin. I believe that they start out with seat rails level as a reference point, in which case the saddle is flat with a flare at the back. Personally, I have it mounted a tiny bit nose up, so it acts like it has a cradle. That said, I might need to experiment a little more with positioning, something of a long term process for me when it comes to the Romin.

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

With my hip rotation, I have almost all of my saddles nose down about 4deg. Applies to ISM PN 3.0, my Romin Evo, my Power, everything.

Fisherfreerider

by Fisherfreerider

TobinHatesYou wrote:
Fri Mar 30, 2018 7:04 am
NICKWANG wrote:
Fri Mar 30, 2018 4:10 am
1) You can get 7x9mm ears for your Madone seatmast. Any Trek dealer should be able to order them for you.
2) I ran a 7x9mm S-Works saddle with 7x10mm ears without issue.

No 7x9 ears for the Madone 9.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com