Campagnolo vs Shimano vs SRAM Hydro-Electric-Disc groups

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

reippuert

by reippuert

fogman wrote:Negative for Campy is no post mount option, although moving forward the standard will be direct mount frames.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

there is both postmount and flatmount version.
--
mvh. Morten Reippuert Knudsen @Merlin Works CR, Chorus 15, Reynolds 46/66

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

graeme_f_k
Shop Owner / Manufacturer

by graeme_f_k

reippuert wrote:
fogman wrote:Negative for Campy is no post mount option, although moving forward the standard will be direct mount frames.

there is both postmount and flatmount version.

There's no postmount option.
Some prototypes were postmount, production is all flatmount. Our understanding from the factory is that flatmount constitutes a better system, as given properly faced mountings, it helps to control resonance and therefore noise.
A Tech-Reps work is never done ...
Head Tech, Campagnolo main UK ASC
Pls contact via velotechcycling"at"aim"dot"com, not PM, for a quicker answer. Thanks!

fogman

by fogman

I meant to say moving forward the standard will be flat mount disc frames (not direct mount). Sorry for the confusion.

It's all downhill from here, except for the uphills.

cwdzoot
Shop Owner

by cwdzoot

Actual weights listed on my Instagram here:

https://www.instagram.com/glory_cycles/
Instagram - stylish square bike pics
Flickr - over 20 million views for good reason
Facebook - friends get the good info & coupons first

Miller

by Miller

jever98 wrote:Never quite understood the attraction of EPS, seemed very expensive. But Campy love is a whole different cup of tea - not to be argued with ;)

If you like e-shifting, why would you not like EPS? I got into it through discovering Athena EPS in sell-off mode and have picked up enough kit now for three bikes without breaking the bank. The shift performance is excellent but I assume that doesn't differentiate it from the alternatives. It's kind of an organic, self-contained system. At least up to v2 there's no external interface to worry about. Set-up and on-road tweaking, like if you changed a rear wheel, is all done via small buttons and watching the interface unit LED colour. The mechs are robust, the wires are robust, the plugs as often noted need to be connected carefully but they are IP67 weather sealed once connected. Installing the internal battery and wiring loom is a bit of a job. Battery charge is lengthy to the extent you can get caught out because you forget to check charge level (oops it's red). I have encountered issues with battery health. If I had one wish for EPS it would be to separate the battery cells from the electronics if that could make the actual cells more easily and cheaply swapped.

greenmark

by greenmark

One thing not often mentioned is that SRAM uses DoT 5.1 fluid, Shimano and Campy use mineral oil. The boiling point of DoT fuel can degrade as it absorbs moisture. This means that you absolutely need to replace the fluid fully at least once every 12 months. You can get away with not replacing mineral oil in Shimano or Campy quite as often.

I notice on the first page that Shimano pads wear longer than SRAM ones. I live in a hilly and wet country so have had to replace my SRAM pads in as little as 500km.

Vermu

by Vermu

greenmark wrote:
Mon Apr 09, 2018 7:32 am
One thing not often mentioned is that SRAM uses DoT 5.1 fluid, Shimano and Campy use mineral oil. The boiling point of DoT fuel can degrade as it absorbs moisture. This means that you absolutely need to replace the fluid fully at least once every 12 months. You can get away with not replacing mineral oil in Shimano or Campy quite as often.

I notice on the first page that Shimano pads wear longer than SRAM ones. I live in a hilly and wet country so have had to replace my SRAM pads in as little as 500km.
So does mineral oil when heated. All oil to be honest. This is really a non-issue. On automotive side brake fluids (aprox liter) should be changed between 2-3 years.
It's baffling that I've heard SRAM suggest that you change fluid annually as this is not really needed. Bike system has so much less fluid in the system that the amount of water
condensated into the system should cause problems in the time span of 3-6 years.
Heck even on cars can go on with brake fluid change between every 4 years or so. Only that due to the fact that most brake pipes are steel the corrosion kicks in and it's a lot
easier to change brake fluids every 2 years to prevent corrosion, not due the boiling point increase.