Rim brake bike with 25mm tire and fender clearance

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

nemeseri

by nemeseri

I'm thinking about building a new winter / training bike. What I noticed fitting my portland design works fenders on my caad10 is that the tire + fender clearance is limited mostly by the rim brake calipers and not the frameset (I use ultegra brake calipers).

Is there any frameset / brake caliper combo that clears 25mm tires with decent full fenders? I would rather not get a disc bike, given I'd use this bike during the summer and I'm not a fan of the extra weight, price and maintanance of disc brakes.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Mr.Gib

by Mr.Gib

Trek Domane is worth a try. It might depend on the rim/tire combo. And unless you are buying the top frame, it won't be much lighter than a light disc option.
wheelsONfire wrote: When we ride disc brakes the whole deal of braking is just like a leaving a fart. It happens and then it's over. Nothing planned and nothing to get nervous for.

Marin

by Marin

I have Ciamillo Zero Gs and clearance is limited by frame and fork.

I doubt you'll be able to run 25s + fenders without long reach brakes though.

benp

by benp

May not be exotic enough for you but I have a Kinesis GrandFondo Ti. Plenty of room for guards and 28mm tires. Great ride and handling. I've used it in plenty of 24-25mph average rides 80-100miles (sportives). Most of the year it's fitted with guards, pannier rack, dynamo and lights as it's my commuter (40-60miles/day during the summer), but strip these parts off and it becomes a great handling fast ride.

Should add I run it with PDW guards.

You would need deep drop brakes tho. I used TRP RG957's.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

willmac

by willmac

Bowman Lyhams from the UK. Stainless frame with long drop brakes and road like geometry. Have only heard good things about them

Marin

by Marin

My Heretic takes 30mm tires with fenders BTW. Titanium & mid-reach brakes. Has hidden fender mounts in the rear, too.

stien

by stien

The PDW fenders won't fit 25s. The best clearance calipers are the new Shimano, like you already have.

Also a 25 tire on a 25mm rim will be a lot bigger than a narrow rim.

benp

by benp

stien wrote:The PDW fenders won't fit 25s. The best clearance calipers are the new Shimano, like you already have.

I am running 30mm PDW fenders on my Kinesis GF. The PDW fenders work fine with my 25mm GP4000SII's on Pacenti SL23's (27mm measured). I also did LEJOG last year on the same bike and wheels but used Hutchinson Sector 28's (30mm+). All good despite some crap weather.

The majority of water and debris flys off from the centre portion of the tyre.

The only problem I have had with the PDW's (been on my bike for 3 years) is one of the rivets on the front guard sheared off recently. Simple fix tho'

stien

by stien

benp wrote:
stien wrote:The PDW fenders won't fit 25s. The best clearance calipers are the new Shimano, like you already have.

I am running 30mm PDW fenders on my Kinesis GF. The PDW fenders work fine with my 25mm GP4000SII's on Pacenti SL23's (27mm measured). I also did LEJOG last year on the same bike and wheels but used Hutchinson Sector 28's (30mm+). All good despite some crap weather.

The majority of water and debris flys off from the centre portion of the tyre.

The only problem I have had with the PDW's (been on my bike for 3 years) is one of the rivets on the front guard sheared off recently. Simple fix tho'

My bad, I thought we were talking about their "full metal fenders". Those are 23s only.

benp

by benp

I am running 30mm PDW full metal fenders. Website states 23mm max wide tyre. They work fine with much much wider tyres.

Currently off my bike, but I'll pop them back on and take some pictures.

stien

by stien

Highly dependent on how high off the tire you can mount them. I suspect you have a lot more height clearance available than I did in this pic:

bremerradkurier

by bremerradkurier

You can always cut the fender at the brakes and use extra hardware to attach it.

Marin

by Marin

benp wrote:I am running 30mm PDW fenders on my Kinesis GF. The PDW fenders work fine with my 25mm GP4000SII's on Pacenti SL23's (27mm measured).

Yes, but the GF is a winter frame with long drop brakes, so you can just mount the fenders higher up and clear fat tires.

For fenders over tires that measure 25+mm, you need more vertical space above the tire than a short-drop brake can give you.

benp

by benp

Stien, Marin
, you are missing the question asked in the original post.
A request was made for ideas for a winter/training frame that could take 25mm tyres with full fenders.
I suggested a Kinesis GF Ti as it has ample clearances as requested and it's suitable for all year round use. I use 30mm PDW fenders on this frameset and they are good enough for the 25+mm tyre requirement as requested.
My comments regarding PDW fender suitability only referred to my bike suggestion.
It is unlikely that the PDW guards would be suitable for wide tyres on any frame that uses medium/shallow drop brakes.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com