Rim brake bike with 25mm tire and fender clearance

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Bigger Gear

by Bigger Gear

If you are looking to build up a new bike specifically for winter riding with full fenders, why not consider a dedicated disc brake winter bike? In terms of maintenance I do not think it is much of a difference from rim brakes, plus you won't be eating up rims and brake pads at the same rate. And as an added bonus you will have better braking. Take off the fenders and ride it in summer, and then you probably have clearance for 28 mm tires.

Full disclosure, I do not own a disc-equipped bike. I have a Hampsten Crema circa 2011 that is my dedicated winter bike, steel frame and fork and it has room for fenders plus 28 mm tires using long-reach calipers. I love it, but I'm at the point where I want to build a new bike for winter and it will definitely be a disc-equipped frame, with dedicated fender mounts.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

boots2000

by boots2000

What size are you?
I am selling pretty much exactly what you describe.
It is a Ti Kent Eriksen for long reach brakes- built with Dura-Ace 9000.
Approximately a 56cm bike- 56.4 tt.
PM me if you have interest.

nemeseri wrote:I'm thinking about building a new winter / training bike. What I noticed fitting my portland design works fenders on my caad10 is that the tire + fender clearance is limited mostly by the rim brake calipers and not the frameset (I use ultegra brake calipers).

Is there any frameset / brake caliper combo that clears 25mm tires with decent full fenders? I would rather not get a disc bike, given I'd use this bike during the summer and I'm not a fan of the extra weight, price and maintanance of disc brakes.

Marin

by Marin

boots2000 wrote:What size are you?
I am selling pretty much exactly what you describe.
It is a Ti Kent Eriksen for long reach brakes

Which forks are you using?

Nefarious86

by Nefarious86

Spooky.
Using Tapatalk

nemeseri

by nemeseri

So I will bring this thread back to life, maybe somebody in the future will find it useful. After many hours of research, I think I will consider disc bikes because they will give more room for the fender and you don't need special brake calipers to fit fenders properly.

For lightweight options, I'd consider Trek Domane discs. Plenty of options with framesets, and full bikes in this line. For $1,8k you can get a hydro disc alloy bike with plenty of clearance (tiagra though). Which is hard to beat for the price.

Also all-city offers plenty of cross bikes with fender mounts. Good-ol' steel, carbon fork with discs. Plenty of options there too.

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

Emonda SL has good clearance and has been the best "rain bike" I've ever had. I run 25mm Conti comps on standard width Nemesis rims with Shimano 105 brakes, soon to switch to 9100 brakes. I like the center mount rim brakes because I use the mounting bolt to install some McGyver'd plastic fenders. Full coverage and flaps to the ground. Silent. No rattles. Try to get that with PDW boat anchors. Metal is heavy and they rattle. I didn't want disc either and this was a perfect solution for me.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

nemeseri

by nemeseri

Calnago wrote:Emonda SL has good clearance and has been the best "rain bike" I've ever had. I run 25mm Conti comps on standard width Nemesis rims with Shimano 105 brakes, soon to switch to 9100 brakes. I like the center mount rim brakes because I use the mounting bolt to install some McGyver'd plastic fenders. Full coverage and flaps to the ground. Silent. No rattles. Try to get that with PDW boat anchors. Metal is heavy and they rattle. I didn't want disc either and this was a perfect solution for me.

PDW now offers their fender in plastic and I'd love to try those. Cheaper and probably quieter. Although the idea of McGyver something on my bike isn't that appealing. I realized that I rarely care about weight in big downpours during my commute / training in rain. With disc domane, you can mount full fenders with 25-28c clinchers. That's just pretty awesome. Also you'd have a good endurance bike (not that the h2 emonda wouldn't be very similar in that regard).

Multebear

by Multebear

How come no one has mentioned the most obvious frame on the market - the Kinesis 4S Disc. It will take 28 tires and fenders, and you don't have to decide between caliper or disc. Both are possible. And they are reasonably priced as well.

I know the topic isn't all that fresh, but since it isn't winter yet, I guess it's still relevant.

http://www.kinesisbikes.co.uk/Catalogue ... ht/4S-DISC

nemeseri

by nemeseri

In the US Kinesis is not that well known brand. But it seems to be fitting. I ended up buying an focus paralane with ultegra on discount.

Multebear

by Multebear

I don't think it is a well known brand anywhere. But with the 4S Disc it should be, it's the perfect winter/commuter/all pourpose bike.