4 lockrings, 2 Sram Red 10 speed cassettes - lockrings keep coming loose. Help

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

glowder

by glowder

From 2012-2015 I ran Sram Red, OG-1090, 10 speed, 12-28 cassettes for 4-6km per year with no problems. But over the last 10 months I've had two different Sram Red Og-1090 cassettes, and I've used 2 Sram Red, one Shimano 105, and one Shimano Dura Ace lockrings and they all have loosened up after 1-3 months of riding. Any one else have this problem? Solutions? Thanks in advance.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

ab01ns

by ab01ns

Tighten your locking regularly

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
20% cyclist/80% J.I.T

NiFTY

by NiFTY

I have had one lockring come loose but it was probably undertorqued at installation and had a long vibrating car ride on the roof which may have contributed. Other than that I have never, and I use the extralite lockrings which have a much shorter threaded section. I suspect you are not torquing them hard enough.
Evo 4.9kg SL3 6.64kg Slice RS 8.89kg viewtopic.php?f=10&t=110579" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

silvalis

by silvalis

All on the same wheelset/hub?
Chasse patate

glowder

by glowder

Yes, all on the same wheelset/hubs since 2012 - Enve SES 3.4s and Chris King R45s. And the same shop doing the work.

I've read through many threads and there are a lot of different reports on what torque should be - 40Nm, 50+Nm, finger tight say some since lockring isn't load bearing.

I can check and tighten it regularly, but I'd like to not have the problem at all which was the case for some years.

mattr

by mattr

Not load bearing? Hmmmm. i'd want to see the proof of that!

I'd be checking the threads on the hub for wear and aiming for the 40-50Nm (as per the writing on the lockring). Only lockrings i've had come loose in 25 years is one that i forgot to do up and one where the end of the freehub cracked.

ab01ns

by ab01ns

Honestly, 40-50 is fine. I just use a crombie and tighten as hard as I can. Put the tool at 3 o clock and push really hard. As in all your weight on it.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
20% cyclist/80% J.I.T

jobvisser

by jobvisser

is there enough thread to torque it on (aka is your cassette not too far out ?) had that once myself
---> :oops: Send me a pm to order world's lightest low carbon fiber dust covers! (1g) :oops: <---

dj97223

by dj97223

Definitely not "finger tight," and tightening it too much could damage the free hub (don't ask me how I know). Get a torque wrench and torque it to the torque prescribed on the locking or by the hub manufacturer.
“If you save your breath I feel a man like you can manage it. And if you don't manage it, you'll die. Only slowly, very slowly, old friend.”

BRM

by BRM

glowder wrote:Yes, all on the same wheelset/hubs since 2012 - Enve SES 3.4s and Chris King R45s. And the same shop doing the work.

Time to do it yourself as a check to see it's not a fault of the shop.
Last edited by BRM on Fri May 12, 2017 2:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

glowder

by glowder

Thanks for the input.

How would I determine if "there is enough thread to torque on" or if "my cassette is too far out"?

And I'm sure it's my ignorance, but how would I check the "threads on the hub for wear" and why would this matter with my cassette lockring?

mattr

by mattr

glowder wrote:How would I determine if "there is enough thread to torque on" or if "my cassette is too far out"?
These are the same thing really. Put the cassette on, press it firmly onto the hub and see haw far it is from the face of the small sprocket to the threads in the freehub. Compare this to your lockring. You really need to be able to get around a couple of turns into the freehub before there is any significant load from the cassette.

glowder wrote:And I'm sure it's my ignorance, but how would I check the "threads on the hub for wear" and why would this matter with my cassette lockring?
How well do the threads engage with each other? Tightly, not much room to wiggle? Are the threads still sharp edged or have the tips gone? Has it been cross threaded in the past? Same on the lockrings.

Mep

by Mep

NiFTY wrote:I have had one lockring come loose but it was probably undertorqued at installation and had a long vibrating car ride on the roof which may have contributed. Other than that I have never, and I use the extralite lockrings which have a much shorter threaded section. I suspect you are not torquing them hard enough.

How much weight do the Extralite lockrings save?

NiFTY

by NiFTY

2.5 grams. About half the weight.
Evo 4.9kg SL3 6.64kg Slice RS 8.89kg viewtopic.php?f=10&t=110579" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Mep

by Mep

Interesting, thanks. Seems like an easy and cost effective way to save weight that I've never considered before. Cheers!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com