power2max problem - high readings

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

wwnick

by wwnick

yes, left/right balance numbers appear OK, the same as they did when I was getting correct figures last week

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

jesmol

by jesmol

I have this happening on my P2M at the moment, battery is reading around 2.9v to 2.8V according to IPsensorman. I'll try changing it over an see how it goes.

I also noted that I also have some corrosion on the battery terminal

jesmol

by jesmol

New battery and the power reporting appears to be more correct

wwnick

by wwnick

yes, that is what happened to me also. i plan to replace battery every 3 months (3-4000km) now to avoid this.

tl8nicol

by tl8nicol

I had a type S for almost 2 years and a cack started to build from the battery compartment. I sent the unit to P2M and they said it was over-torque. I was not happy with that because I know I haven't overtorqued it, and also because their battery compartment screw is a really bad design ("screw with 2 fingers").

Anyway, they offered a crash replacement and I got the new NG.

But now there is another problem:
1) Every time I calibrate before my rides it says "error". After 8-10 attempts I finally get a "calibration successful".
2) Almost every ride I got these high power spikes ranging from 13,000W to even 25,000W. This is clearly some interference, as the unit doen't work above 2,000, 3,000W...
The problem is that it ruins my iF and my NP, and for the type of workouts I do, I really use those parameters. This during workout.
After uploading to Garmin Connect, the power curve is like a line in with a crazi peak in the middle. All parameters are off.
Strava doesn't seem to get this spikes, though

Any thought on how to prevent this from happening, or how to set a limit on my Garmin 810? Or in the Garmin app?

Thank!
<><

AndreLM

by AndreLM

1) I get the same with my NGEco. My solution is to calibrate with the cranks parallel to the ground and press the calibrate button while the bike is leaning on something fixed (like a wall). Everytime I try to calibrate when holding the bike with my hands or legs I get that error
2) it happens sometimes with me as well, with both TypeS and NGEco. I fixed it in GoldenChettah (where I do all my analyzis). I could re-upload it to Garmin Connect or Strava, but I really don't bother... I think TP recognizes as an anomaly and fixes it automatically.

TonyM

by TonyM

Why do you calibrate it manually as it does it automatically during your ride (as soon as you stop pedalling 3 seconds I think)?

Boshk

by Boshk

I think this is the first time I've heard p2m problems, hope you guys get it sorted.

mrlobber

by mrlobber

tl8nicol wrote:
Thu Jul 19, 2018 9:40 pm

2) Almost every ride I got these high power spikes ranging from 13,000W to even 25,000W. This is clearly some interference, as the unit doen't work above 2,000, 3,000W...
The problem is that it ruins my iF and my NP, and for the type of workouts I do, I really use those parameters. This during workout.
After uploading to Garmin Connect, the power curve is like a line in with a crazi peak in the middle. All parameters are off.
Strava doesn't seem to get this spikes, though

Any thought on how to prevent this from happening, or how to set a limit on my Garmin 810? Or in the Garmin app?

Thank!
Have the same problem with my NG, except that spikes are in 2000-5000W range.
Sent the fit files to P2M for investigation, their reply was that these are associated with Garmin head units micro loss of signal from the the power meter, which leads Garmin to "fill" the missing data with weird values. They pointed me to the fact that at the power spikes, no cadence was available and also HR did have values with decimal points (ANT+ theoretically doesn't allow transmitting non-integer data)

They recommended disabling Torque and Pedal Smoothness data in P2M app - if only power, cadence and L/R balance would be available (as in Type-S powermeters, where I've not observed any spikes with multiple units), they say, the likeliness of spikes would decrease significantly:
P2M support wrote: It's a combination of bad antenna performance of the Garmin units and less redundancy in transmitted data from the NG caused by more different cycling data - pedal smoothness, torque etc
Haven't tried that yet, though.
Minimum bike categories required in the stable:
Aero bike | GC bike | GC rim bike | Climbing bike | Climbing rim bike | Classics bike | Gravel bike | TT bike | Indoors bike

Monkeyfudger

by Monkeyfudger

If you’ve had 2 different PM’s with the same head unit but still have issues my bet isn’t on the PM...

AndreLM

by AndreLM

To be fair it happened only 3 or 4 times total between the 2 of them, and I fully agree that my Garmin is most likely the culprit here.

As I said... it really doesn’t bother me as GoldenCheetah can easily identify these anomalies and normalizes it.

It also makes some cool pictures :-)

fogman

by fogman

Are those power spikes there when you upload your data? I was thinking perhaps those power spikes are on the display unit only.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It's all downhill from here, except for the uphills.

AndreLM

by AndreLM

Yep. They show up in the screen and also in the FIT data. Some services (don’t remember which... TP, Strava or Garmin Connect) finds and automatically corrects them when they show the summary, NP, etc

jhalmar

by jhalmar

My Quarq Dzero had spikes with Garmin 810 almost on every ride and after switching to Wahoo Bolt zero issues.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

tl8nicol

by tl8nicol

mrlobber wrote:
Fri Jul 20, 2018 8:55 am
tl8nicol wrote:
Thu Jul 19, 2018 9:40 pm
Have the same problem with my NG, except that spikes are in 2000-5000W range.
Sent the fit files to P2M for investigation, their reply was that these are associated with Garmin head units micro loss of signal from the the power meter, which leads Garmin to "fill" the missing data with weird values. They pointed me to the fact that at the power spikes, no cadence was available and also HR did have values with decimal points (ANT+ theoretically doesn't allow transmitting non-integer data)

They recommended disabling Torque and Pedal Smoothness data in P2M app - if only power, cadence and L/R balance would be available (as in Type-S powermeters, where I've not observed any spikes with multiple units), they say, the likeliness of spikes would decrease significantly:
P2M support wrote: It's a combination of bad antenna performance of the Garmin units and less redundancy in transmitted data from the NG caused by more different cycling data - pedal smoothness, torque etc
Haven't tried that yet, though.
Thanks for your inputs mrlobber
How can I disable torque and pedal smoothness in my Gramin 810? I did not find those parameters..... maybe didn't look the right screens?
<><