Zipp 303/404, anyone using koolstop pads?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

TurboTommy

by TurboTommy

Just wondering if anyone uses koolstop pads with Zipp rims and if so how happy you are with them. I'm using swisstop black prince at the moment and am pretty happy with the combo but koolstop are so much cheaper! Or is there an even better option? FWIW the combo is Zipp 303/404 with EE brakes.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

hatsunagi

by hatsunagi

i used Koolstop pads to my 202(tubular) and found no problems for my 5,000km+ ride :)

but please note that the warranty-void clause when you use unauthorised/not-recommended pads ;(

shamrock134

by shamrock134

I was going to go for these once my original Zipp pads wore out...

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/lifeline-perfor ... pack-of-4/

Shrike

by Shrike

I'm using Swisstop Yellow on them at the moment and they're okay. Those Wiggle blues have surprisingly good reviews. Cheap enough to take a punt on. Will try them next. Swisstop prices are silly. Actually, I have grey Zipp pads that came with the wheels, but had yellows installed already so haven't tried them yet. Are they good?

Zipps have a thin grey coating on the brake track - does that wear off? What is it anyway, some sort of residue from a factory process? Is braking better after it's gone?

Can see a patch of the grey stuff that's worn off here after one ride.

shamrock134

by shamrock134

I'm fairly sure Zipp grey pads are just re-badged Swisstops.

Pan

by Pan

ZIPP Cork is the way to go. They wear out fast but they stop great and they're pleasant sounding. They're not as freaking loud as Swiss Stop black carbon pads. Can't tell you about koolstop though.
2017 Pinarello F8 Dura Ace 9100 @ 7.5kg
2013 Bianchi Infinito 105 @ 8.2kg
1982 Colnago Super Single Speed @ 8.6kg

oldnslow2

by oldnslow2

shamrock134 wrote:I'm fairly sure Zipp grey pads are just re-badged Swisstops.

goodboyr

by goodboyr

I believe the patent is expired and you can now buy swisstop platinum pads for half the price of the zipp branded ones, and they are the same as stated above.

https://www.sigmasport.co.uk/item/Swiss ... -Zipp/ERQ0

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

Nefarious86

by Nefarious86

That's quite a reasonable $$ compared to usual.
Using Tapatalk

1415chris

by 1415chris

The same price as for Black Prince (BP). Pro Evo (supplied with Zipp wheels) are pricer. Set of four blocks £44-50.
I cannot see much difference, if any, between BP and Evo version, using them on Firecrests and NSW, so will stick to BP or Pro, especially the pads wear on NSW is greater than on Firecrests.
Wouldn't mind trying cork ones, but I'm a bit afraid of not having enough power in disposal, which is required for 200lbs.

FIJIGabe

by FIJIGabe

Not to side-track this conversation any more than it has been side-tracked, but I HATE the Black Prince EVO pads. They leave a sticky film on the brake surface of my 404's. I'm having to wipe the rims down with a little acetone about once every two weeks, otherwise the brakes are grabby at points. Once these wear out, I'm ditching them for some Zipp pads.

KarlC

by KarlC

I tried lots of different pads on my Zipp 404 and was never impressed until I started using Reynolds Cryo Blue POWER brake pads

Be sure that you try the newer Reynolds Cryo Blue POWER brake pads with the 6 slots cut in them not the older Reynolds Cryo Blue brake pads with only 3 slots cut in them, there is a big difference.

Read this review by Aerogeeks they agree .....

http://aerogeeks.com/...e-power-pads-review/
C64 My Sixty 4 SR EPS 12

Nefarious86

by Nefarious86

The power difference between BP and Zipp pads are night and day. And for $45Aud for 4 from Sigma I'll happly pay the difference.
Using Tapatalk

Nefarious86

by Nefarious86

Win :)Image
Using Tapatalk

sussexhills

by sussexhills

Bump on the Zipp/Platinum pads, way better than the Black Prince for my 303/404 Zipps which were too loud and wore fast.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com