Look pedal removal - allen key vs pedal wrench?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

mvcap

by mvcap

Alert! Total novice here when it comes to maintenance, but this feels like a safe place to ask!

How do I know whether my pedals need removed by way of a pedal wrench or an allen key?

Wanting to swap out an old set of Look PP247 for Look Keo 2 Max Blades. Maybe it matters, maybe not, I just want to do it properly as the YouTube tutorials I have seen did not specify which to use but instead focused on technique for not stripping threads or tearing up knuckles.

Thank you!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

duvivr6

by duvivr6

My Look pedals which are the newer KEO models do not have a pedal wrench piece.
If yours do then you should be able to use it, either way would be good. Remember pedals thread the opposite direction.

C36

by C36

The wrench can be used on the older pedals, Keo blade only accept Allen key. The wrench need to be quite thin. But if you have the proper one that's probably the easiest option. You have the bigger lever and easily remove your older Looks.

Envoyé de mon iPhone en utilisant Tapatalk

BdaGhisallo

by BdaGhisallo

Pretty easy - if there is a recess for an allen key in the end of the axle you can use an allen key. If there are wrench flats you can use a pedal wrench. If your pedal has both - you can decide for yourself.

mvcap

by mvcap

BdaGhisallo wrote:Pretty easy - if there is a recess for an allen key in the end of the axle you can use an allen key. If there are wrench flats you can use a pedal wrench. If your pedal has both - you can decide for yourself.

Perfect, just what I was looking for - thank you!

Also, thanks to you other posters for the ideas...all very helpful and I truly appreciate it.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Geoff

by Geoff

Whatever you do, when you reinstall the pedal, use copper anti-seize compound on the threads...
Last edited by Geoff on Wed Nov 29, 2017 2:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

reknop

by reknop

Geoff wrote:Whatever you do, when you reinstall the pedal, use cooper anti-seize compound on the threads...

Some Cooper anti-seize grease ... or Morgan Blue Aquaproof Paste.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
https://www.cycling-review.net

bremerradkurier

by bremerradkurier

Make sure your chain is on the big ring when you remove the right pedal.

dj97223

by dj97223

. . . ant that you are turning the wrench/key in the correct direction.
“If you save your breath I feel a man like you can manage it. And if you don't manage it, you'll die. Only slowly, very slowly, old friend.”

Sjoerd

by Sjoerd

+1 on the tip given by bremerradkurier. I once did it with the chain on the small ring. The bolt was very tight and came loose all of a sudden. I hit the big ring with the inside of my hand, which was pierced on five places by a very oily chainring. I have pictures but I will not post them because they are quite scary.

Anyone who's into gore can send me a PM :mrgreen:

ManekiNico

by ManekiNico

dj97223 wrote:. . . ant that you are turning the wrench/key in the correct direction.

I’ve been working on my own bikes for 30 years and I still have to look this up … Every. Damn. Time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mom: He was very sickly until he started riding around on that bicycle.
Dad: Yeah... well... now his body’s fine, but his mind is gone.

topflightpro

by topflightpro

Sjoerd wrote:+1 on the tip given by bremerradkurier. I once did it with the chain on the small ring. The bolt was very tight and came loose all of a sudden. I hit the big ring with the inside of my hand, which was pierced on five places by a very oily chainring. I have pictures but I will not post them because they are quite scary.

Anyone who's into gore can send me a PM :mrgreen:

I did something similar, except that I hit the back of my finger tips on the chainring. Stabbed right through three finger nails and half-way through a fourth. I didn't know one could bleed through their finger nails. Still, the most amazing thing about was how my wife and I responded. I strangely did not utter one foul work. My wife heard me hollering, but did not come out to the garage to investigate and tell me what a moron I was for doing that.

Attermann

by Attermann

just think that the thread tightens itself when you ride it, so tighten when you pull towards the front wheel, and loosen towards the rear wheel

doesn't help that bsa is the oppisite

bremerradkurier

by bremerradkurier

And now I've gotten the idea to use my cordless impact driver plus allen key socket the next time I remove pedals.

TonyM

by TonyM

bremerradkurier wrote:Make sure your chain is on the big ring when you remove the right pedal.

Best advice!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com