Look pedal removal - allen key vs pedal wrench?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

alcatraz

by alcatraz

Pedals: Right is right and left is wrong!

sawyer

by sawyer

ManekiNico wrote:
dj97223 wrote:. . . ant that you are turning the wrench/key in the correct direction.

I’ve been working on my own bikes for 30 years and I still have to look this up … Every. Damn. Time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Simple way to remember ... pedals tighten in the same way the cranks rotate to apply power, and obviously loosen in the opposite direction
----------------------------------------
Stiff, Light, Aero - Pick Three!! :thumbup:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Fiery

by Fiery

Yup, to tighten just set the wrench/key as an extension of the crank arm and push as if you wanted to pedal the bike.

dj97223

by dj97223

While we are passing on advice ... I find there is no need to torque the pedal with much force when installing it. I snug it just a bit and have never had one come loose.
“If you save your breath I feel a man like you can manage it. And if you don't manage it, you'll die. Only slowly, very slowly, old friend.”

Rick

by Rick

Once you are confident of direction, if they are sticking (as the often are) a tap of the wrench end with a rubber mallet can break them free without endangering knuckles.
(Don't ask how I know this.)
Then, for the future, what dj97223 said is correct: they don't really need to be super tight; just snug until "solid".