Shimano Ultegra Di2 vs Campagnolo Chorus Mechanical

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Pan

by Pan

I'm working on a new Pinarello F8 Road Race/ Crit bike build and I've got roughly a $1400 budget for a groupset.

Ultegra Di2 : 2407g
Campagnolo Chorus : 2120g + cables/housings

I'm all for that Campagnolo bling but I'm a terrible bike mechanic. I can never get "perfect" shifting when I index my 105 system. I'd like to be able to downshift during sprints confidently with a quality groupset while still making this bike build classy and light weight.

What are your thoughts between the two groupsets and what belongs on a Pinarello?
2017 Pinarello F8 Dura Ace 9100 @ 7.5kg
2013 Bianchi Infinito 105 @ 8.2kg
1982 Colnago Super Single Speed @ 8.6kg

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

havana

by havana

You will not find a gruppo easier to set up than Di2.
Editor-in-chief CycloWorld.cc - the largest database of gran fondo's and sportives in the world.

BdaGhisallo

by BdaGhisallo

What belongs on our Pinarello is what you want on there. Don't get stuck with a notion that there is a "proper" groupset to put on there. Get whatever it is you decide you want and ignore anyone who tells you otherwise.

That said I don't think you can beat electric shifting these days and the Ultegra DI2 is both well performing and very well priced for the performance you get.

mike
Resident Pro

by mike

di2 for sure.

stien

by stien

The Di2 is super awesome. Heavier than Chorus maybe but much easier to set up and maintain.

Pan

by Pan

Thanks for the feedback, I really wish Chorus EPS came in V3, the older V2's installation and use of drilling holes in the frame and using magnetic straps to turn off the system seemed like a joke.

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

After almost 10 years since electronic has been introduced, I can still shift faster with more control and more options using [edit] Campy [end edit] mechanical than any electric groupset provides. Plus, I don't have to plug it in or carry any batteries with me. In your case however, I would recommend Di2 since it is easy to set up and will get you in the gear you want with the least amount of fuss and ultra fine setup. To get mechanical to work better does take some effort, but it's worth it to me personally. But not everyone, and I get that. It's nice to have choices.
Last edited by Calnago on Mon May 08, 2017 6:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

Pan

by Pan

Calnago wrote:After almost 10 years since electronic has been introduced, I can still shift faster with more control and more options using mechanical than any electric groupset provides. Plus, I don't have to plug it in or carry any batteries with me. In your case however, I would recommend Di2 since it is easy to set up and will get you in the gear you want with the least amount of fuss and ultra fine setup. To get mechanical to work better does take some effort, but it's worth it to me personally. But not everyone, and I get that. It's nice to have choices.

I agree with you, the fine tuning seems to be very meticulous, but when properly set it's hard to beat.
I feel a low end Tiagra tuned well will feel better than a DuraAce improperly indexed by an amateur.
In my case, even when I seem to get the indexing and cable tension correct on a bike stand, once I start pedaling it feels like it always needs a little bit more fiddle work.

jmaccyd

by jmaccyd

Chorus is nice and I am (or was) a Campag fan BUT since I have used Di2 there is no way back. From what friends say that have been out in Italy that even there, more and more bikes are fitted with Shimano now than Campag. Anyone from Italy here that can confirm that?

I think you wouldn't go much wrong with either, but if it was me, I would go Di2.

GorrGrimWolf

by GorrGrimWolf

I have recently switched from Di2 to Campy Record. Wanted something with soul and better tactile feedback. Also the possibility of dumping up to 5 gears at once is great and I find myself using it more and more... I wouldn't say the shifting quality is better or worse - just different.

But if you lacks the knowledge or the skill to work on your own bike and know what to do than I think Di2 is a way to go. The wiring is very easy - plug & play. I am usually done within 20-30 minutes when working on a frame I know well. Once set-up it just works and you hardly need to adjust anything year long. Also no trim to worry about is a great function.

But if I would have a choice now again between Ultegra Di2 and Campagnolo Chorus/Record/SR mechanical I would choose Campy in a heartbeat.

BRM

by BRM

Pan wrote:
I'm all for that Campagnolo bling but I'm a terrible bike mechanic. I can never get "perfect" shifting when I index my 105 system.

Then its time to learn how to set up proper.
Very important to start with a healthy base ( hanger alignment, no extensive wear of chain sprockets, chainrings, pulleys and straight/right mounted derailleurs)

:)

Pan

by Pan

BRM wrote:
Pan wrote:
I'm all for that Campagnolo bling but I'm a terrible bike mechanic. I can never get "perfect" shifting when I index my 105 system.

Then its time to learn how to set up proper.
Very important to start with a healthy base ( hanger alignment, no extensive wear of chain sprockets, chainrings, pulleys and straight/right mounted derailleurs)

:)

Yeah, I'm afraid I've crashed several times with my old 105, hit by cars, gone down in races, slippery or sandy roads, gone down while avoiding loose animals, broken derailleur hanger. Maybe my old Bianchi just needs a new overhaul of components later and having a fresh new groupset with a new bike would be an excuse to "start a new" and learn the art properly.

joeyb1000

by joeyb1000

Both are excellent

joejack951

by joejack951

As noted, mechanical groupsets are a cinch to set up when starting with a good base. They can infuriatingly impossible to get perfect when using worn cables/housing or, worse, with a bent hanger. But that's not a fault of the group so much as the installer. I had previously only installed Shimano mechanical groups but recently set up my new bike with Campy Chorus. The process was virtually identical and the results similarly pleasing, though I regret not going Campy sooner.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Briscoelab

by Briscoelab

Di2

I used Campy for years... Di2 is just better.

I swap in a DA crank, brakes, and sometimes a FD. But the Ultegra levers are fine and the RD will shift a 30T even in the short cage version.

We have 4 CX bikes and 2 road bikes with various Di2 bits installed. No and I mean NO issues or complaints after years of use. Even going back to 10 speed Ultegra Di2.

No cable swaps, no der adjustments, nothing. Just charge the batter occasionally. With Hydro di2, it gets even better.