Shimano Ultegra Di2 vs Campagnolo Chorus Mechanical

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Mockenrue

by Mockenrue

I agree; I have several bikes with mechanical Campag and it does require more diligence during the initial installation now than 10 speed did. Once dialled in though it remains so in my experience. Anyone "constantly fiddling" hasn't got it set up right IMHO.
Last edited by Mockenrue on Thu May 11, 2017 3:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

gewichtweenie

by gewichtweenie

Pan wrote:I've read literature stating Campy groupsets can work with Shimano/Sram cassettes. Some sites say there is noise. I'm unsure if Campy has derailleur clearance, Shimano DA has an 11-30 where as Campy's largest rear cassette is 11-29.

They say chains do matter, but I use off brand KMC SL 11 chains anyhow which should work with both.

No issue. I swap 11sp campy 12-29 and shimano 11sp 11-28 wheelsets back and forth on 2 bikes no problem. 1 uses 6800 chain and the other kmc sl 11 chain. both have the short-cage derailleur . perfect shifting. no noise. no adjustments

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

MyM3Coupe

by MyM3Coupe

Calnago wrote:. . . I can still shift faster with more control and more options using [edit] Campy [end edit] mechanical than any electric groupset provides.

Absolutely. With Campy multi-shift capability, I can navigate up and down my cassette and chain-rings extremely fast. I was very shocked to hear that it's not possible with even the new Dura Ace 9100. Sad.

fabriciom

by fabriciom

I have 2015 chorus and though about changing but I'm really happy with my setup and it works perfectly so why change it.

My main concern to be sincere is all the cables that come with Di2. I hate noise and I can imagine having all those hanging cables inside the frame will generate noise.

Another thing, chorus looks way more hawt. :mrgreen:

mag

by mag

Apologize for hijacking this thread a little - is the Campy EPS (Record EPS V3 in particular) similarly easy to keep in order (e.g. basically set & forget) as Shimano Di2?

Broady

by Broady

fabriciom wrote:I have 2015 chorus and though about changing but I'm really happy with my setup and it works perfectly so why change it.

My main concern to be sincere is all the cables that come with Di2. I hate noise and I can imagine having all those hanging cables inside the frame will generate noise.

Not an issue, I popped a few cable ties on the battery wire just in case thinking that the tails will hold the cable in place somewhat.

BdaGhisallo

by BdaGhisallo

Broady wrote:
fabriciom wrote:I have 2015 chorus and though about changing but I'm really happy with my setup and it works perfectly so why change it.

Not an issue, I popped a few cable ties on the battery wire just in case thinking that the tails will hold the cable in place somewhat.

Exactly. If you put some zipties on the DI2 cables and leave the ties uncut, they will hold the wires in place inside the frame and you won't get any noise from rattling. Not an issue you should worry about.

Mockenrue

by Mockenrue

mag wrote:Apologize for hijacking this thread a little - is the Campy EPS (Record EPS V3 in particular) similarly easy to keep in order (e.g. basically set & forget) as Shimano Di2?

Yes. I've been on V2 (and latterly V3) on most of my bikes since early 2015 and charging aside, it is literally maintenance free. Maybe the occasional tweak to the RD when switching cassettes, but that's it. Largely set and forget in my experience.

Clean39T

by Clean39T

I used Di2 on a rental bike and have to say I would never want it on my personal bike. Who the he|| wants to listen to an electric whirring sound when they shift?!?

+1 on bargain hunting Campag bits.. I have a SR11 group (Chorus cassette) that I've assembled for ~$1200 using sales and coupons at the UK sellers.

joeyb1000

by joeyb1000

Mockenrue wrote:
mag wrote:Apologize for hijacking this thread a little - is the Campy EPS (Record EPS V3 in particular) similarly easy to keep in order (e.g. basically set & forget) as Shimano Di2?

Yes. I've been on V2 (and latterly V3) on most of my bikes since early 2015 and charging aside, it is literally maintenance free. Maybe the occasional tweak to the RD when switching cassettes, but that's it. Largely set and forget in my experience.

Same here. I was an early adopter (June 2012) and now have EPS on three bikes. Aside from charging every few months, you do nothing.
In reference to the original post, I also have a bike with the 2015 Chorus group, and it's excellent. On a road bike, I see no issue going mechanical or electronic. On a TT bike, electronic is the way to go.
While I'm a die-hard Campy guy, all the 11 speed groups (Campy, Shimano, SRAM) are great.

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

Clean39T wrote:I used Di2 on a rental bike and have to say I would never want it on my personal bike. Who the he|| wants to listen to an electric whirring sound when they shift?!?

+1 on bargain hunting Campag bits.. I have a SR11 group (Chorus cassette) that I've assembled for ~$1200 using sales and coupons at the UK sellers.

Ha... the whirring and zapping reminds me of a very old children's song... called "The Marvelous Toy"...https://youtu.be/XLYefZkOMB0
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

bremerradkurier

by bremerradkurier

Calnago wrote:
Clean39T wrote:I used Di2 on a rental bike and have to say I would never want it on my personal bike. Who the he|| wants to listen to an electric whirring sound when they shift?!?

Ha... the whirring and zapping reminds me of a very old children's song... called "The Marvelous Toy"...https://youtu.be/XLYefZkOMB0

On the plus side, you shouldn't be hearing chain rub on the front derailleur with the Di2 auto trim function as the chain moves up and down the cassette.

Clean39T

by Clean39T

bremerradkurier wrote:
Calnago wrote:

On the plus side, you shouldn't be hearing chain rub on the front derailleur with the Di2 auto trim function as the chain moves up and down the cassette.

I don't hear that on my current setup either.

SNUGSHIP

by SNUGSHIP

Di2 no question the best of the two

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com