Sram red 22 shifting issue

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Olivv

by Olivv

Hi everyone :D

I need an advice for something that drive me crazy...
I'm not able to adjust correctly my Sram red 22 rear derailleur.
To be precise my problem is on the second cog, all others are ok, but the second is noisy, if I try to adjust it, the third and others loose the adjustment...

An idea? Is it normal?

This is the first time I can't obtain a perfect shifting, without any noise, but before my bike was in Dura ace...
Last edited by Olivv on Sun May 07, 2017 6:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

wheelbuilder

by wheelbuilder

Is the derailleur hanger straight?
Never cheer before you know who is winning

Olivv

by Olivv

wheelbuilder wrote:Is the derailleur hanger straight?

Yes, I think the hanger is ok, but perhaps I should change it to be sure at 100%, I will search one.

Olivv

by Olivv

wheelbuilder wrote:Is the derailleur hanger straight?

Well in the doubt I have just ordered a new hanger, wait and see..
I will write a feedback after I will try it.

NiFTY

by NiFTY

You don't need a new hanger just check if the old one is straight and then straighten it if not. By attaching a new one without checking it you may make the problem worse. (If this is indeed a hanger issue)
Evo 4.9kg SL3 6.64kg Slice RS 8.89kg viewtopic.php?f=10&t=110579" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

commendatore

by commendatore

If the hanger has been weakened by repeated bending and straightening, a replacement may still be beneficial.

Too many times bent back and forth and it may not be very rigid, exacerbating shifting issues.

kman

by kman

Actually, I think its likely to get more "rigid" as aluminium tends to work harden with repeated bending. Keep that cycle going and it will either become so brittle it snaps or it will become VERY soft and yield.
You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline. It helps if you have some kind of a football team, or some nuclear weapons, but at the very least you need a beer.
-- Frank Zappa

Olivv

by Olivv

New hanger is oredered, when it will at home I will compare the new and the old, if old is still ok I will keep the new in reserve, it's not a money waste :wink:

DuncanS

by DuncanS

It's not that you need to compare them. You need to check the alignment of the one you have. Google "derailleur alignment gauge".

Sent from my GT-I9507 using Tapatalk

RussellS

by RussellS

I have no idea if your shifting issue is related to the derailleur hanger or not. But concerning derailleur hangers, you must check them for straightness while mounted on the frame. The hanger attaches to the frame with a couple screws. The rear dropout where the hanger bolts into may or may not be 100% perfectly straight. Doesn't really matter. So whether the hanger is perfectly straight does not really matter. Its only after you bolt the hanger to the rear dropout and then check it against a perfectly true wheel can you tell if everything is straight or not. Hopefully the rear derailleur will be perfectly bolted and straight too. And everything will work fine. Imagine your rear dropout is canted plus 10 degrees. And your hanger is canted minus 10 degrees. Bolt them together and everything cancels out and all is perfect. But if your rear dropout is perfect 0 degree straight. And your hanger is canted plus 2 degrees, then everything is not straight and it won't work. Its much better to have a really bent hanger in the first case than a slightly bent hanger in the second case.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Olivv

by Olivv

Well, today new hanger arrived, and... now it's better :D thank you so much for the advice, because in my mind it was ok, never a crash with this frame.