Cassette Durability

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Which cassette?

Sram Red
31%
Shimano Dura-ace
22%
Shimano Ultegra
42%
Other
5%

Total votes: 55

ihs0yz

by ihs0yz

What's the durability on the red cassette's biggest cog like?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

ihs0yz wrote:What's the durability on the red cassette's biggest cog like?

It's made of aluminum but probably will see the least amount of wear. The largest cog is the least used cog of all 11 cogs. On mine it looks just like new. The middle cogs see the most wear for obvious reasons.

BRM

by BRM

SuperflyRick wrote:My record chain and cassette are worn now after 3 years and about 24k kilometers. No chain changes are anything

are =or? I guess?? . . . .

You Always see blockheads like you in forums like this. :) :roll:
(Every normal soul would acknowledge maintenance is a necessity not an option)

To begin with, never changing your chain is a blueprint for disaster.
The chance the chain will break is high and imagine what that has for outcomes.
When you're Lucky only your bike wil be damaged, but its not unlikely you yourself will be injured too.

(It's comparable with never changing the time belt of a car engine)

Also when for what ever reason you want to change the chain anyway in between, you will notice that the new chain will not work on the already worn sprockets. (a prestretched chain would).
And then we also have the damage such a worn chain does to the chainrings.

So your post here is not a wise one and noone should follow you in this.
Last edited by BRM on Mon May 08, 2017 9:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

brumbar

by brumbar

My old 10 speed Campagnolo Record cassette and chain lasts more than 30k kilometers before they start to skip on the 18-th tooth. I never ride in the rain with this bike.
My current chain is 20 k at the moment and it measures less than 50 %. I have a set of wheels for training on my TT bike with almost new cassette - less than 2k km and some time i enjoy riding them on my road bike and no chain skipping at all.
The only downside is the shifting that is not so good as with new chain. So on my new bike, that i build at the moment i decide to change the chain every year /i ride 12 -15 k per year

BRM

by BRM

Measuring gives only an indication of wear. You not Always can rely on only measuring with a chainchecker.
Counts especially for people that use minimal force (little power on the pedals)

How to know when it's time to replace your bicycle chain >>
http://www.bikeradar.com/road/gear/arti ... ned-46015/

People have their own ideas about this subject. That is ok but . . .
. . . I wish that people would set more attention to the flaws in their visions.

brumbar

by brumbar

Thanks for the link - very useful information and explain my experience with the poor shifting.

C36

by C36

I can only agree with BRM that's perfect ground for future disaster and unfortunately I experimented it with 16, in a sprint at 50+km/h I dropped a cog... And chain slipped... Head trauma if it wasn't for the helmet I would not be here today

Envoyé de mon iPhone en utilisant Tapatalk

SuperflyRick

by SuperflyRick

BRM wrote:
SuperflyRick wrote:My record chain and cassette are worn now after 3 years and about 24k kilometers. No chain changes are anything

are =or? I guess?? . . . .

You Always see blockheads like you in forums like this. :) :roll:
(Every normal soul would acknowledge maintenance is a necessity not an option)

To begin with, never changing your chain is a blueprint for disaster.
The chance the chain will break is high and imagine what that has for outcomes.
When you're Lucky only your bike wil be damaged, but its not unlikely you yourself will be injured too.

(It's comparable with never changing the time belt of a car engine)

Also when for what ever reason you want to change the chain anyway in between, you will notice that the new chain will not work on the already worn sprockets. (a prestretched chain would).
And then we also have the damage such a worn chain does to the chainrings.

So your post here is not a wise one and noone should follow you in this.

I Just dont see it being worth the trouble of riding multiple chains on one cassette. Always has worked for me and probably will work for me in the future. Like you said everybody has their own ideas about chain wear and tear, everyone has their own riding style too. So what works for you doesnt have to work for me. And my chainring runs great with my new super record cassette and record chain.

glepore

by glepore

I've used Red and Shimano cassettes interchangeably and in 30 yrs of riding have NEVER worn out a cassette. I check/lube/wax chains religiously, immediately after rain rides, and replace at between 75% and 50% of wear. If you lost one in 5400k, you either are generating Greipel power on a dirty drivetrain or doing something else ugly. I don't often find myself aligned with BRM, but I am here.
Cysco Ti custom Campy SR mechanical (6.9);Berk custom (5.6); Serotta Ottrott(6.8) ; Anvil Custom steel Etap;1996 Colnago Technos Record

JScycle

by JScycle

glepore wrote:I've used Red and Shimano cassettes interchangeably and in 30 yrs of riding have NEVER worn out a cassette. I check/lube/wax chains religiously, immediately after rain rides, and replace at between 75% and 50% of wear. If you lost one in 5400k, you either are generating Greipel power on a dirty drivetrain or doing something else ugly. I don't often find myself aligned with BRM, but I am here.

Thanks.

kidrob

by kidrob

Well, this one could be interesting, even though 2 years old: http://blog.artscyclery.com/ask-a-mecha ... our-money/
For cassettes, Ultegra is the value choice. The finish on 105 cassettes isn’t as nice as Ultegra and that hurts longevity and shift performance, albeit negligibly, but the price difference is very small so I feel it is worth it to go with an Ultegra cassette here. Dura Ace cassettes use titanium for some of their cogs to reduce weight. Other than the huge increase in price that titanium demands, the big downside is that titanium wears faster than steel, which makes the Dura Ace cassette a poor choice for riders putting in big miles.

bremerradkurier

by bremerradkurier

http://bdopcycling.com/BDop%20CASSETTES.asp

BDOP now has monoblock CNCed steel cassettes for $100 and a claimed weight of 185g for 11-28 11 speed.

Disclaimer for a max rider weight of 90kg FWIW.

BRM

by BRM

You need to ask yourself what the benefits are over Ultegra cassettes.
And beccause they most likely can't be ontained around the corner or your lbs,
they will not cost 100 USD but more, don't forget the shipping (15 usd) so minimum price is 115 usd.

C36

by C36

The BDOP has a bizarre insert that seems force fitted in the cogs. Anybody tried?
The other alternative would be the Edco, wider range of options, premium quality... But 200 euros. I would prefer them over shimano ones, I know few riders in Spain who use them and the reports are positive in terms of wear.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Delorre

by Delorre

C36 wrote:The BDOP has a bizarre insert that seems force fitted in the cogs. Anybody tried?
The other alternative would be the Edco, wider range of options, premium quality... But 200 euros. I would prefer them over shimano ones, I know few riders in Spain who use them and the reports are positive in terms of wear.

I'm using an Edco cassette, and not so positive about wear. The metal seems a little less hard then Campa cogs. After 1 chain, I already had some noticable wear on some of the more used cogs. Never had that with Campa. Shifting is OK, but not as refined as Shimano or Campa ones.