Cassette Durability

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Which cassette?

Sram Red
31%
Shimano Dura-ace
22%
Shimano Ultegra
42%
Other
5%

Total votes: 55

JScycle

by JScycle

Hi all.
I have an Ultegra 6800 drivetrain on my Scott Addict.
I have been told by the LBS that the cassette will need replacing soon and I have only ridden 5400km on the bike.
When the cassette wears out I would like one that is more durable.
I have heard mixed things about the sram red single piece (mostly) cassette lasting ages.
Does anyone have experience with running it on an Ultegra drivetrain?
If mixing brands isn't ideal would the Shimano Dura-Ace cassette last much longer than the Ultegra to justify the price jump?
Thanks in advance, any help is appreciated.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

slick1

by slick1

No. The dura ace cassette won't outlast the ultegra. You pay more for dura ace because it weighs less (wank wank).

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Orlok

by Orlok

Your LBS is thinking at his benefits, because de durability of a Ultegra cassette is about 15.000km and more IF you change the chain every 3000km or at least before it's used at 0,75 checked by a chainchecker.!
Once comes a time that you'll have a tailwind :D
Pinarello F10 - Ultegra 8050 Di2 - Carbonspeed C38 Tubeless

Kompi2

by Kompi2

L
Orlok wrote:Your LBS is thinking at his benefits, because de durability of a Ultegra cassette is about 15.000km and more IF you change the chain every 3000km or at least before it's used at 0,75 checked by a chainchecker.!

Aso sein

Gesendet von meinem A0001 mit Tapatalk

JScycle

by JScycle

Orlok wrote:Your LBS is thinking at his benefits, because de durability of a Ultegra cassette is about 15.000km and more IF you change the chain every 3000km or at least before it's used at 0,75 checked by a chainchecker.!

Thanks for the help. Current chain has 3100km on it. Should I change it or wait until my chain checked reaches 0.5

Delorre

by Delorre

If you change the chain before real wear, an Ultegra cassette should last at least 4 chains. My Campa Record cassette is on it's 4the or even 5th chain witthout any problem (around 15.000km per Strava) The higher grade you go on cassette's, generally, the faster the wear.

JScycle

by JScycle

Delorre wrote:If you change the chain before real wear, an Ultegra cassette should last at least 4 chains. My Campa Record cassette is on it's 4the or even 5th chain witthout any problem (around 15.000km per Strava) The higher grade you go on cassette's, generally, the faster the wear.

Thanks for the insight. I must have just found some incorrect information on the red monoblock wearing much slower.

Delorre

by Delorre

JScycle wrote:
Delorre wrote:If you change the chain before real wear, an Ultegra cassette should last at least 4 chains. My Campa Record cassette is on it's 4the or even 5th chain witthout any problem (around 15.000km per Strava) The higher grade you go on cassette's, generally, the faster the wear.

Thanks for the insight. I must have just found some incorrect information on the red monoblock wearing much slower.

Red is full steel, so wear should not be that bad. Big benefit of Red or Edco monoblock : it won't eat into your cassette body. Nor do Campa cassette's. Wy not look into those? They are a little pricy, but not worse than a red cassette and last very well.

bikerjulio

by bikerjulio

Delorre wrote:Red is full steel, so wear should not be that bad. Big benefit of Red or Edco monoblock : it won't eat into your cassette body. Nor do Campa cassette's. Why not look into those? They are a little pricy, but not worse than a red cassette and last very well.

much as I use and like Campy, I don't think OP wants or needs to change his freehub.

OP, how did the LBS determine that the cassette would need changing? By looking at it? That's a poor method.

Do what others here suggest and change the chain before too much wear is apparent.

Ultegra cassettes are just fine.

If you ride a lot in wet weather, drivetrain wear will be greatly increased.
There's sometimes a buggy.
How many drivers does a buggy have?

One.

So let's just say I'm drivin' this buggy...
and if you fix your attitude you can ride along with me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GekiIMh4ZkM

JScycle

by JScycle

bikerjulio wrote:
Delorre wrote:Red is full steel, so wear should not be that bad. Big benefit of Red or Edco monoblock : it won't eat into your cassette body. Nor do Campa cassette's. Why not look into those? They are a little pricy, but not worse than a red cassette and last very well.

much as I use and like Campy, I don't think OP wants or needs to change his freehub.

OP, how did the LBS determine that the cassette would need changing? By looking at it? That's a poor method.

Do what others here suggest and change the chain before too much wear is apparent.

Ultegra cassettes are just fine.

If you ride a lot in wet weather, drivetrain wear will be greatly increased.

No thanks happy with my current freehub. He just looked at it, didn't say it needed changing immediately but warned me that it would be one of the things next up. Should I change the chain now or wait until the chain checker says 0.5?

Lightweenie

by Lightweenie

JScycle: wait until it says 0.5. However if you are on your first chain and it doesn't even say 0.5 yet, then i have serious doubts that the cassette needs to be replaced soon.

JScycle

by JScycle

Lightweenie wrote:JScycle: wait until it says 0.5. However if you are on your first chain and it doesn't even say 0.5 yet, then i have serious doubts that the cassette needs to be replaced soon.

I think it is currently my third as one got bent therefore needing a replacement sooner than normal

maquisard

by maquisard

Many pro-teams use Ultegra cassettes rather than Dura Ace, mainly down to a combination of cost and the well known issues with the Dura Ace cassette nylon/composite parts.

The other issue with cassettes is that wear is never uniform across the full range. Everyone has their own personal cadence and favourite front/rear gear combinations to suit particular terrain. So you'll be changing your cassette when the most used cog wears out.

BRM

by BRM

Durability of a cassette is not standing on it's own . . .

What degrades a cassette?

Main cause:
A stretched chain

Sub cause:
A filthy drivetrain is sanding the cassette
Cross-chaining gives sidefriction
Wet weather
Shortness of lube
High power

The durability of a cassette is depending on all of the above.

Proven method to keep drivetrain functioning as best and as long as possible and saving money:
With a new cassette buy 3 chains.
Use first chain for about 1000 km then take off and lay in closet.
Use second chain for about 1000 km then take off and lay in closet.
Use third chain all the way up (till a chainchecker tells its done)
Then use the first chain till done.
Then use second chain till done.

In this way the sprockets degrade gradually and most slowly.
New chains don’t fit right in a used cassette but the prestretched ones will.

Changing chains with even shorter intervals and never wear till done result in even a longer durability of your cassette.
But all needs to be in balance. An Ultegra cassette is not real expensive so when you buy many many chains on only one cassette its not a right calculation model that is in balance. But with more expensive cassettes (Dura Ace Record) it maybe is worth to use more chains and never wear them completely.

BTW
Ultegra chains are not the best product. They wear fast.
Buy chains in bulk to limit shipping costs.
Buy missing links in bulk (like KMC missing links on ebay)
Last edited by BRM on Tue May 09, 2017 12:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

SuperflyRick

by SuperflyRick

My record chain and cassette are worn now after 3 years and about 24k kilometers. No chain changes are anything

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com