Weight Weenies
* FAQ    * Search    * Trending Topics
* Login   * Register
HOME Listings Blog NEW Galleries NEW FAQ Contact About Impressum
It is currently Sun Dec 17, 2017 7:11 pm

All times are UTC+01:00





Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 35 posts ]  Go to page 1 2 3 Next

Which cassette?
Sram Red 31%  31%  [ 16 ]
Shimano Dura-ace 20%  20%  [ 10 ]
Shimano Ultegra 43%  43%  [ 22 ]
Other 6%  6%  [ 3 ]
Total votes: 51
Author Message
 Post subject: Cassette Durability
PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2017 8:17 am 
Offline

Joined: Wed Mar 08, 2017 11:41 pm
Posts: 102
Hi all.
I have an Ultegra 6800 drivetrain on my Scott Addict.
I have been told by the LBS that the cassette will need replacing soon and I have only ridden 5400km on the bike.
When the cassette wears out I would like one that is more durable.
I have heard mixed things about the sram red single piece (mostly) cassette lasting ages.
Does anyone have experience with running it on an Ultegra drivetrain?
If mixing brands isn't ideal would the Shimano Dura-Ace cassette last much longer than the Ultegra to justify the price jump?
Thanks in advance, any help is appreciated.


Top
   
 Post subject: Cassette Durability
Posted: Sun May 07, 2017 8:17 am 


Top
   
 
 Post subject: Re: Cassette Durability
PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2017 8:32 am 
Offline

Joined: Wed Nov 30, 2005 1:35 am
Posts: 211
No. The dura ace cassette won't outlast the ultegra. You pay more for dura ace because it weighs less (wank wank).

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk


Top
   
 Post subject: Re: Cassette Durability
PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2017 9:19 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Feb 07, 2017 12:36 pm
Posts: 42
Location: Almere - Nederland
Your LBS is thinking at his benefits, because de durability of a Ultegra cassette is about 15.000km and more IF you change the chain every 3000km or at least before it's used at 0,75 checked by a chainchecker.!

_________________
Once comes a time that you'll have a tailwind :D
Pinarello F10 - Ultegra 6800 - Carbonspeed C38 - Tubeless


Top
   
PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2017 10:27 am 
Offline

Joined: Thu Nov 10, 2016 6:56 am
Posts: 5
L
Orlok wrote:
Your LBS is thinking at his benefits, because de durability of a Ultegra cassette is about 15.000km and more IF you change the chain every 3000km or at least before it's used at 0,75 checked by a chainchecker.!

Aso sein

Gesendet von meinem A0001 mit Tapatalk


Top
   
 Post subject: Re: Cassette Durability
PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2017 10:45 am 
Offline

Joined: Wed Mar 08, 2017 11:41 pm
Posts: 102
Orlok wrote:
Your LBS is thinking at his benefits, because de durability of a Ultegra cassette is about 15.000km and more IF you change the chain every 3000km or at least before it's used at 0,75 checked by a chainchecker.!


Thanks for the help. Current chain has 3100km on it. Should I change it or wait until my chain checked reaches 0.5


Top
   
 Post subject: Re: Cassette Durability
PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2017 11:03 am 
Online

Joined: Sat May 24, 2014 12:09 pm
Posts: 821
If you change the chain before real wear, an Ultegra cassette should last at least 4 chains. My Campa Record cassette is on it's 4the or even 5th chain witthout any problem (around 15.000km per Strava) The higher grade you go on cassette's, generally, the faster the wear.

_________________
Current bikes:
Scott Addict Premium Disc 2018
Scott Addict Orica Greenedge 2015

Retired:
Canyon Endurace CF SLX 2016
Canyon Ultimate CF SLX 2013


Top
   
 Post subject: Re: Cassette Durability
PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2017 11:17 am 
Offline

Joined: Wed Mar 08, 2017 11:41 pm
Posts: 102
Delorre wrote:
If you change the chain before real wear, an Ultegra cassette should last at least 4 chains. My Campa Record cassette is on it's 4the or even 5th chain witthout any problem (around 15.000km per Strava) The higher grade you go on cassette's, generally, the faster the wear.


Thanks for the insight. I must have just found some incorrect information on the red monoblock wearing much slower.


Top
   
 Post subject: Re: Cassette Durability
PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2017 11:33 am 
Online

Joined: Sat May 24, 2014 12:09 pm
Posts: 821
JScycle wrote:
Delorre wrote:
If you change the chain before real wear, an Ultegra cassette should last at least 4 chains. My Campa Record cassette is on it's 4the or even 5th chain witthout any problem (around 15.000km per Strava) The higher grade you go on cassette's, generally, the faster the wear.


Thanks for the insight. I must have just found some incorrect information on the red monoblock wearing much slower.


Red is full steel, so wear should not be that bad. Big benefit of Red or Edco monoblock : it won't eat into your cassette body. Nor do Campa cassette's. Wy not look into those? They are a little pricy, but not worse than a red cassette and last very well.

_________________
Current bikes:
Scott Addict Premium Disc 2018
Scott Addict Orica Greenedge 2015

Retired:
Canyon Endurace CF SLX 2016
Canyon Ultimate CF SLX 2013


Top
   
 Post subject: Re: Cassette Durability
PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2017 11:52 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Dec 11, 2009 10:38 pm
Posts: 1894
Location: Welland, Ontario
Delorre wrote:
Red is full steel, so wear should not be that bad. Big benefit of Red or Edco monoblock : it won't eat into your cassette body. Nor do Campa cassette's. Why not look into those? They are a little pricy, but not worse than a red cassette and last very well.


much as I use and like Campy, I don't think OP wants or needs to change his freehub.

OP, how did the LBS determine that the cassette would need changing? By looking at it? That's a poor method.

Do what others here suggest and change the chain before too much wear is apparent.

Ultegra cassettes are just fine.

If you ride a lot in wet weather, drivetrain wear will be greatly increased.

_________________
There's sometimes a buggy.
How many drivers does a buggy have?

One.

So let's just say I'm drivin' this buggy...
and if you fix your attitude you can ride along with me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GekiIMh4ZkM


Top
   
 Post subject: Re: Cassette Durability
PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2017 11:57 am 
Offline

Joined: Wed Mar 08, 2017 11:41 pm
Posts: 102
bikerjulio wrote:
Delorre wrote:
Red is full steel, so wear should not be that bad. Big benefit of Red or Edco monoblock : it won't eat into your cassette body. Nor do Campa cassette's. Why not look into those? They are a little pricy, but not worse than a red cassette and last very well.


much as I use and like Campy, I don't think OP wants or needs to change his freehub.

OP, how did the LBS determine that the cassette would need changing? By looking at it? That's a poor method.

Do what others here suggest and change the chain before too much wear is apparent.

Ultegra cassettes are just fine.

If you ride a lot in wet weather, drivetrain wear will be greatly increased.



No thanks happy with my current freehub. He just looked at it, didn't say it needed changing immediately but warned me that it would be one of the things next up. Should I change the chain now or wait until the chain checker says 0.5?


Top
   
 Post subject: Re: Cassette Durability
PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2017 12:03 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Aug 03, 2014 1:00 pm
Posts: 140
JScycle: wait until it says 0.5. However if you are on your first chain and it doesn't even say 0.5 yet, then i have serious doubts that the cassette needs to be replaced soon.


Top
   
 Post subject: Re: Cassette Durability
PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2017 12:29 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Mar 08, 2017 11:41 pm
Posts: 102
Lightweenie wrote:
JScycle: wait until it says 0.5. However if you are on your first chain and it doesn't even say 0.5 yet, then i have serious doubts that the cassette needs to be replaced soon.


I think it is currently my third as one got bent therefore needing a replacement sooner than normal


Top
   
 Post subject: Re: Cassette Durability
PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2017 6:43 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu May 01, 2008 8:51 pm
Posts: 1702
Location: France
Many pro-teams use Ultegra cassettes rather than Dura Ace, mainly down to a combination of cost and the well known issues with the Dura Ace cassette nylon/composite parts.

The other issue with cassettes is that wear is never uniform across the full range. Everyone has their own personal cadence and favourite front/rear gear combinations to suit particular terrain. So you'll be changing your cassette when the most used cog wears out.


Top
   
 Post subject: Re: Cassette Durability
PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2017 7:23 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Mar 16, 2014 3:43 pm
Posts: 817
Durability of a cassette is not standing on it's own . . .

What degrades a cassette?

Main cause:
A stretched chain

Sub cause:
A filthy drivetrain is sanding the cassette
Cross-chaining gives sidefriction
Wet weather
Shortness of lube
High power


The durability of a cassette is depending on all of the above.


Proven method to keep drivetrain functioning as best and as long as possible and saving money:
With a new cassette buy 3 chains.
Use first chain for about 1000 km then take off and lay in closet.
Use second chain for about 1000 km then take off and lay in closet.
Use third chain all the way up (till a chainchecker tells its done)
Then use the first chain till done.
Then use second chain till done.

In this way the sprockets degrade gradually and most slowly.
New chains don’t fit right in a used cassette but the prestretched ones will.

Changing chains with even shorter intervals and never wear till done result in even a longer durability of your cassette.
But all needs to be in balance. An Ultegra cassette is not real expensive so when you buy many many chains on only one cassette its not a right calculation model that is in balance. But with more expensive cassettes (Dura Ace Record) it maybe is worth to use more chains and never wear them completely.


BTW
Ultegra chains are not the best product. They wear fast.
Buy chains in bulk to limit shipping costs.
Buy missing links in bulk (like KMC missing links on ebay)


Last edited by BRM on Tue May 09, 2017 12:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

Top
   
 Post subject: Re: Cassette Durability
Posted: Sun May 07, 2017 7:23 pm 


Top
   
 
 Post subject: Re: Cassette Durability
PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2017 8:48 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Apr 27, 2015 8:59 pm
Posts: 38
My record chain and cassette are worn now after 3 years and about 24k kilometers. No chain changes are anything


Top
   
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 35 posts ]  Go to page 1 2 3 Next

   Similar Topics   Author   Replies   Views   Last post 
There are no new unread posts for this topic. 9-32t cassette with Di2 xtr

in Road

Plopplopdougal81

5

564

Tue Nov 28, 2017 10:58 am

Jengaback View the latest post

There are no new unread posts for this topic. Anyone got a 36t cassette and can help me with the diameter of that cog?

in Road

alcatraz

2

348

Thu Jul 06, 2017 11:22 am

Kurets View the latest post

There are no new unread posts for this topic. How many miles on your cassette?

[ Go to page: 1 2 3 ]

in Road

Willem

30

2844

Tue Jul 18, 2017 12:10 pm

PrimO View the latest post

There are no new unread posts for this topic. Campagnolo 11/32 cassette

in Road

markyboy

7

1162

Tue May 30, 2017 11:48 am

garjo View the latest post

There are no new unread posts for this topic. Attachment(s) Adding 16T to 11-xx 11 speed cassette

in Road

efeballi

12

942

Sat Oct 07, 2017 10:10 pm

efeballi View the latest post


All times are UTC+01:00


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: crn, Delorre, liam7020, madik, mike001100, toshi and 32 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Limited