Daytime Rear Light Recommendation

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

MRM

by MRM

I just bought a new bike (Specialized Venge Pro Disc). I love the completely integrated look and am looking for a light that i can fix to the saddle rails.

I love the rear light integration that Trek has done with the Madone 9, but such an option does not exist with Specialized. I don't want to use the rubber band stretched around the seat post.

Specialized produce their own Stix Comp rear light with a saddle rail mount. I'm looking for an alternative that you super knowledgeable peeps can recommend or the basic go ahead to just get the Stix Comp.

Where I live the weather is often dodgy and it is very urban, so it really makes a lot of sense to use a rear light in anything beyond bright sunshine, since bike culture isn't very established and car drivers hardly pay attention. I would like to gain the safety benefit while keeping the clean look.

Thanks!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Johnny Rad

by Johnny Rad

As far as I'm concerned on my bike, the Knog Strobe (~$10/ea) is the bare minimum for a front blinky. I use it at dawn and dusk plus descending canyons at high-speed. It's sleek and blinks for a long time on the single CR2032 battery, but can't throw enough light to illuminate the road ahead. For the price, it's a solid blinky in my book. I've got a Boomer and an older Blinder when I want more light, but they're barely acceptable for illuminating the road.

For years I used incredibly cheap (<$5/ea) clip-on taillight blinky on ~99% of my rides. Again, they clipped directly to a loop on the rear of my saddle bag and blinked for for enough time on the single CR2032 battery.

I've since moved to a ~$20/ea seatpost-mounted Dosun (I think - seems there are similar less/more-expensive options on fleabay) taillight blinky and it's ~10x better than the mega cheap blinky I previously used. I use it for ~99% of my rides. It's brighter and seems to last longer with its two CR2032 batteries. I'm very happy with it.

Recently read a story where Trek's CEO (?) talked very highly about their Bontrager Flare R taillight. Probably worth checking out.

Final comment on battery vs USB-powered lights. I prefer battery-powered because I think they last longer. YMMV.

Good luck.
Last edited by Johnny Rad on Tue May 09, 2017 2:33 am, edited 2 times in total.

sp3000

by sp3000

There is only one rear light in my books - https://www.lupine.de/products/tail-lights they have a seat rail adapter, you remove the 4 little screws that hold the rubber band style and screw on a clip that is easy to unclip from the seat rail holder for recharging or if you ever leave the bike anywhere. They are not cheap but the build quality is exceptional and the brightness brilliant. It has an accelerrometer so that when you brake it goes solid and brighter like a car brake light.

kervelo

by kervelo

sp3000 wrote:There is only one rear light in my books - https://www.lupine.de/products/tail-lights they have a seat rail adapter, you remove the 4 little screws that hold the rubber band style and screw on a clip that is easy to unclip from the seat rail holder for recharging or if you ever leave the bike anywhere. They are not cheap but the build quality is exceptional and the brightness brilliant. It has an accelerrometer so that when you brake it goes solid and brighter like a car brake light.

+1

jekyll man

by jekyll man

These are popular on the tt scene here:

https://four4th.co.uk/products/lights/scorpion/
Official cafe stop tester

boysa

by boysa

sp3000 wrote:There is only one rear light in my books - https://www.lupine.de/products/tail-lights

I highly concur. Since buying one, I can't imagine ever using anything else.
"Deserve's got nothing to do with it." William Munny

salesguy

by salesguy

Same, that tail light is amazing. I use it on full power every ride.

The only problem is the OP will lust after the Betty front light, and have to spend the $900 or $1000 to get one.

It is even better than the tail light.

Quality and design are amazing.

BdaGhisallo

by BdaGhisallo

The Rotlicht, the Betty, the Wilma.... Lupine lights are the class of the field.

jeffy

by jeffy

Bontrager Flare R is great. There is a smaller "city" version that is still excellent. You can see the Flare R from so far away during the day it is ridiculous.

Claimed visibilty is 2km full Flare R and 500m for "city". I wouldn't worry about the city version not being strong enough either.

ALAN Carbon+

by ALAN Carbon+

If you use a Fizik saddle look at the cateye mount that utilises the ICS. It is a neat solution that tucks the light up under the seat

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk

TonyM

by TonyM

boysa wrote:
sp3000 wrote:There is only one rear light in my books - https://www.lupine.de/products/tail-lights

I highly concur. Since buying one, I can't imagine ever using anything else.

+1

The best!

MRM

by MRM

Thanks for the recommendations. Seems to be a consensus towards Lupine. I'll check all the listed options out!

Robius

by Robius

Moon Shield-X has a daytime 150 lumen option, I highly recommend it. I bought it for 25€ from Merlin.
2016 Felt AR2 Di2
Retired:
2017 Giant TCR Pro 2
2015 Cannondale Synapse 6

SuperflyRick

by SuperflyRick

Love the bontrager flare r lights

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com