Daytime Rear Light Recommendation

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

kidrob

by kidrob

Using a Busch & Müller 383 IXXI since quite some time now and really happy with it. It's all the time on my bike, simple on-off switch and USB-charger. With like 17€ on Amazon it's also really cheap. 35 grams.

MRM

by MRM

Calnago wrote:Please report back with how you like it. I have a Dinotte Quad Flash, got it mostly for it's all day battery life but always wondered how it compares with the Lupine.

I'm in the Netherlands until Sunday (without the bike unfortunately). Will do so when I'm back next week!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

hagi

by hagi

I'd recommend the SeeSense Icon. I have one and at the lowest setting it's quite visible during the day. For group rides I leave it on constant and on my own use the flashing settings.
A plus is the theft alarm and the crash alert. Nice bit of kit.
https://seesense.cc/products/see-sense-icon-rear-light

stockae92

by stockae92

I have the Lezyne Strip Drive Pro for tail light, it works great for me.

I also have a Knog blinder 1, I will use it when it need something really like weight :D

uraqt

by uraqt

I have a 1st gen exposure flare and at the time the 75 lumens was the brightest self contained tail light you could get... I would/will buy it again if it ever fails and I don't think it will.. I was going to go with the Rotlicht when the exposure flare failed but after all these years... I don't think I can change brand. :)

C

MRM

by MRM

Finally the first ride with the Lupine Rotlicht.

It's really easy to set up once you bother to RTFM. I had a little bit of an issue fixing the seat rail mount for it due to the Specialized Power saddle being so short and thus so far forward on the seat post. The aero seatpost does not leave much room for the mounting bracket to be fixed to the saddle rails. Something other Venge riders should definitely be mindful of. I could get it to fit, but just barely.

It works really well and feels really solid. I used the pulse mode in stage 2 brightness. Brake mode worked flawlessly.

Biggest confidence boost was the police riding behind me for a bit, but having no issues with me or my light. I wasn't entirely sure about the Lupine Rotlicht due to it not having an official certification for use on public roads in Germany. So, anyone on the fence can probably go ahead.

I think it's tremendously expensive for a light, but then again it's job is to keep me alive and look good on the bike while doing that. Both objectives were fulfilled.

I would suggest to never use it on max brightness. I guess this is why it hasn't received official certification. It is incredibly bright. That is probably only advisable when doing something like the Indian Pacific Wheel Race when you are completely away from towns.

In the mode I used it is supposed to run for 24 hours. I was only out for two so I can't really judge battery life yet.
Last edited by MRM on Thu May 18, 2017 12:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

MRM

by MRM

double post. delete please. sorry

TonyM

by TonyM

Depending on the daylight and time of the year I use the 3rd or the 4th out of the 5 levels of brightness. The full brightness is definitely VERY bright !!

sawyer

by sawyer

Lupine Rotlicht is indeed a very good rear light, and bright enough, perhaps except for thick fog.

But for brightness it is nowhere near the Moon X-Shield.
----------------------------------------
Stiff, Light, Aero - Pick Three!! :thumbup:

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

I would still like to try the Rotlicht. I believe the Moon X-Shield mentioned above is a rebranded Serfas TL-60. Very good, very bright. What I like about it (I have one), is that its mounting strap makes it very easy to take on and off the bike. I would probably use it all the time if it weren't for the battery life. For that reason, my light of choice when I take off for the day is still the Dinotte Quad Flash. Brighter than the TL-60, and on max power flash mode it is good for 8 hours. On the lower setting, still very bright, it's good for 16 hours. Nothing worse than taking some detours, long stops, enjoying the day, then having to be riding back in the dark with no rear light on dark roads. So if you do those types of rides, the Dinotte is ideal, but it does have the mount that you screw on to the seatpost, so not as easy just to take on and off. But at about $180, if you're not doing all day affairs and know you'll be well within a couple of hours of needed battery life, then the Serfas TL60 is a very good rear light.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

sawyer

by sawyer

Calnago wrote:I would still like to try the Rotlicht. I believe the Moon X-Shield mentioned above is a rebranded Serfas TL-60. Very good, very bright. What I like about it (I have one), is that its mounting strap makes it very easy to take on and off the bike. I would probably use it all the time if it weren't for the battery life. For that reason, my light of choice when I take off for the day is still the Dinotte Quad Flash. Brighter than the TL-60, and on max power flash mode it is good for 8 hours. On the lower setting, still very bright, it's good for 16 hours. Nothing worse than taking some detours, long stops, enjoying the day, then having to be riding back in the dark with no rear light on dark roads. So if you do those types of rides, the Dinotte is ideal, but it does have the mount that you screw on to the seatpost, so not as easy just to take on and off. But at about $180, if you're not doing all day affairs and know you'll be well within a couple of hours of needed battery life, then the Serfas TL60 is a very good rear light.

Do you have the re-chargeable Moon/Serfas Calnago? On flash the battery life is pretty good tbh

I have a slew of rears but often use 2 Moons - quite a powerful combo out back. Before anyone excoriates me, this is when riding solo, not in a group ... .

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

Yes, I have the rechargeable USB Serfas TL-60 (usb). And yes, at the time, it's battery life was as good or better than any and still is. That's why I got it, along with it's superb brightness. Then somewhere along the way I was made aware of the Dinotte light, so I looked into it. It is only sold direct so you won't see it in stores, but it is a very good light and the battery life was incredible. 8 hours on it's brightest flash. 16 on a not as bright (but still very bright) flash. Then a few other modes like strobe etc. I think it's battery is its selling point. How can you not like something with a "military grade battery" in it. Lol. Anyway, both those lights are brighter than most others I've seen.

But the Lupine Rotlicht intrigued me because I was driving along one dark, rainy day and noticed a guy riding with a light that was just so good I had to pull alongside and roll down my window and ask him what it was. He didn't seem too sure as he had gotten it as a gift he said, and he seemed to think it was a "Lezyne, or something like that". Well, I know Lezyne doesn't do a light like that, so by default I'm thinking it was a Lupine, and must have been the Rotlicht.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

sawyer

by sawyer

Calnago wrote:Yes, I have the rechargeable USB Serfas TL-60 (usb). And yes, at the time, it's battery life was as good or better than any and still is. That's why I got it, along with it's superb brightness. Then somewhere along the way I was made aware of the Dinotte light, so I looked into it. It is only sold direct so you won't see it in stores, but it is a very good light and the battery life was incredible. 8 hours on it's brightest flash. 16 on a not as bright (but still very bright) flash. Then a few other modes like strobe etc. I think it's battery is its selling point. How can you not like something with a "military grade battery" in it. Lol. Anyway, both those lights are brighter than most others I've seen.

But the Lupine Rotlicht intrigued me because I was driving along one dark, rainy day and noticed a guy riding with a light that was just so good I had to pull alongside and roll down my window and ask him what it was. He didn't seem too sure as he had gotten it as a gift he said, and he seemed to think it was a "Lezyne, or something like that". Well, I know Lezyne doesn't do a light like that, so by default I'm thinking it was a Lupine, and must have been the Rotlicht.

Interesting! The Rotlicht brake light function is I think really good. It's only a hunch but I guess this does materially increase drivers' awareness of it.

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

sawyer wrote:
Calnago wrote:Yes, I have the rechargeable USB Serfas TL-60 (usb). And yes, at the time, it's battery life was as good or better than any and still is. That's why I got it, along with it's superb brightness. Then somewhere along the way I was made aware of the Dinotte light, so I looked into it. It is only sold direct so you won't see it in stores, but it is a very good light and the battery life was incredible. 8 hours on it's brightest flash. 16 on a not as bright (but still very bright) flash. Then a few other modes like strobe etc. I think it's battery is its selling point. How can you not like something with a "military grade battery" in it. Lol. Anyway, both those lights are brighter than most others I've seen.

Interesting! The Rotlicht brake light function is I think really good. It's only a hunch but I guess this does materially increase drivers' awareness of it.

Yeah, I think that's what I may have noticed as well... although I didn't know it was an accelerometer based superflash when I first saw it. But I sure noticed it.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com