Cervelo R5

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

maquisard

by maquisard

The new R5 and it's fluo yellow/green paint scheme is hardly a secret. Dimension Data are riding it in the Giro and Fraile won a stage on one, see photo above!

rideintospace

by rideintospace

Doug Ryder posted this photo today which shows a blue/red (Cervelo/Bigla?) colorway also. One thing we haven't seen well from the DiData bikes is the routing of mechanical cables. Looks like it takes on the S5 routing with cables going over the steerer tube and into the top tube from above

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

wingguy

by wingguy

Shrike wrote:Did it look something like this, which is what I think the next paint schemes are for the S and R 5's.

Pretty sure that is this (DiData colourscheme) with a mad IG filter on it.

Which is the same colour as the R5s and S5s they've been riding in the Giro.

ichobi

by ichobi

You can pick a lot out from the official photos. All I can say is the engineering is certainly very impressive and the bike (with crappy wheels we had) did show what promised on the paper.
Last edited by ichobi on Mon May 22, 2017 11:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

CamW

by CamW

From the pictures in this thread it looks like the fork has a reasonably tall Axle to Crown height which might account for some of that supposedly shorter head tube.

Shrike

by Shrike

Ah fair enough, will just have to wait. Guess they'll have picked out certain sites to break the release first. Bikeradar etc.

em3

by em3

rideintospace wrote:Doug Ryder posted this photo today which shows a blue/red (Cervelo/Bigla?) colorway also. One thing we haven't seen well from the DiData bikes is the routing of mechanical cables. Looks like it takes on the S5 routing with cables going over the steerer tube and into the top tube from above

... there are at least two pics on the Cervelo twitter feed (referenced above) that show what I will guess is the new "R3" (see frame in dark blue/slate w/red head badge). The frame appears to share same mold as the new R5 (see huge downtime and wide fork spread) but with the more traditional mechanical shift cable routing (via downtube).

zappafile123

by zappafile123

ichobi wrote:They did their home work and probably fix a lot of things you don't like about Cervelo.

Don't have bias against the brand. It's up there with one of the best of this style of bike: An all rounder made for professional racing (

Well hopefully they fix the endemic problems with the BBright format with this new release. I've worked barely 5 minutes at a Cervelo retailer and have encountered multiple bikes with creaking issues (particularly on the S3 and R5, some of which have been very difficult to solve). Anyway, my impression of the current R5 is that its one of the most responsive framesets (off the mark)s I've ridden. Though there is something boring about its ride quality - it has that 'just another carbon bike' feel to it. Hopefully they add that special something.
FactorOne|SartoSeta|StorckF.3|Enigma EliteHSS|SworksSL6|ColnagoC60/V3Rs|DeRosa Protos|BianchiXR4/2|BMCSLR01 16|Cdale EvoHM|Focus IzMax|RidleyHe SL/SLX|BH Ulight|BassoDiamante|Scapin DyseysS8|TimeRXRS/ZXRS|TCR SL|RidleyNoah|Look585|CerveloS5/S3

ichobi

by ichobi

Stiffness is off the chart :)
Last edited by ichobi on Tue May 23, 2017 10:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

maquisard

by maquisard

Hi ichobi, when does your NDA expire and we can expect the online reviews?

ichobi

by ichobi

In a few weeks.
Last edited by ichobi on Tue May 23, 2017 2:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Shrike

by Shrike

8th June! :o

zappafile123

by zappafile123

I thought the official release was supposed to happen at the Giro (I heard 21st this month, which was obviously wrong)
FactorOne|SartoSeta|StorckF.3|Enigma EliteHSS|SworksSL6|ColnagoC60/V3Rs|DeRosa Protos|BianchiXR4/2|BMCSLR01 16|Cdale EvoHM|Focus IzMax|RidleyHe SL/SLX|BH Ulight|BassoDiamante|Scapin DyseysS8|TimeRXRS/ZXRS|TCR SL|RidleyNoah|Look585|CerveloS5/S3

4ibanez

by 4ibanez

I've lusted after an R5 for a while. The ridiculously tall head tube has always put me off. If they make it a bit racier I'd be all over it.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

53x12

by 53x12

I'll be curious to see how much of this gets trickled down to the R3 as my dealer said the R3 is also getting updated.
"Marginal gains are the only gains when all that's left to gain is in the margins."