Road Disc Brakes- Rotor Choice

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

Lewn777 wrote:I'd never bother with a mech disk, I'd just stay with rim.

Elaborate because my actual experience has been different. I used TRP Spyre calipers with SRAM eTap shifters, Jagwire Elite Link cables, SwissStop Disc E pads. Initial lever throw had slightly more resistance, but once the pads contacted the rotor, the modulation was there. Hy/Rd calipers take things a step farther by making the lever throw feel even more like a fully hydraulic system. The Spyres required manually adjusting pad distance every month or so, but that didn't bother me much. You knew from lever feel when it was time to quarter turn the adjustment screws. Now that my new bike has eTap HRD, the improvements in brake feel are not a revelation. Everything is incrementally better. The biggest change is the initial pull on the lever being less sticky.

I would definitely recommend either TRP Spyres or Hy/Rds to anyone looking to reuse their existing brake/shift levers on a future disc build.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Lewn777

by Lewn777

TobinHatesYou wrote:
Lewn777 wrote:I'd never bother with a mech disk, I'd just stay with rim.

Elaborate because my actual experience has been different. I used TRP Spyre calipers with SRAM eTap shifters, Jagwire Elite Link cables, SwissStop Disc E pads. Initial lever throw had slightly more resistance, but once the pads contacted the rotor, the modulation was there. Hy/Rd calipers take things a step farther by making the lever throw feel even more like a fully hydraulic system. The Spyres required manually adjusting pad distance every month or so, but that didn't bother me much. You knew from lever feel when it was time to quarter turn the adjustment screws. Now that my new bike has eTap HRD, the improvements in brake feel are not a revelation. Everything is incrementally better. The biggest change is the initial pull on the lever being less sticky.

I would definitely recommend either TRP Spyres or Hy/Rds to anyone looking to reuse their existing brake/shift levers on a future disc build.

Sorry, I should have made myself more clear. The situation is that I live in a dry area, and I'm more than happy with the performance of my Shimano 105 brakes on DT Swiss rims, in fact I'm thinking of upgrading to a lighter rim brake.

However with the possibility of running a four pot MTB DH caliper on the front of the bike, then I think the 300 grams it would add would be worth it just for maybe a bit of engineering curiosity, at least to investigate if it's really a feasible or a desirable idea. As great as the reputation of TRP Spyres, and I'm sure they are great brakes that would make a fantastic affordable upgrade especially in a hilly and wet region, it's not something that interests me in my current circumstances.

jeanjacques

by jeanjacques

Not a lot of idea on this thread ;) Nothing under 100g (160mm) with good braking power ?
I'm with Ashima Ai2, ok for the rear but not enough power on front. Centerline 6 bolts installed this evening but 116g... hurt my building weight list !

hannawald

by hannawald

I use Galfer rotors. About 85grams (claimed 79g). They are ok and even with 6 bolts to centerlock adapters i save about 30 grams compared to Shimano SMRT99 in total (for 2 rotors) ..

jeanjacques

by jeanjacques

Never hear about this one, seem to be good, thanks !

MayhemSWE

by MayhemSWE

Will soon be building up a disc braked road bike with most likely a Sram Force 22 groupset. Sram says to use 160 mm rotors for road use but for aesthetics I'd prefer them smaller. Anyone have experience using Centerline X 140 mm rotors for road use? Or anyone tried the new Shimano Ultegra RT-800 rotors in general or with Sram calipers in particular?

This bike will be used by a fairly light (probably around 70 kg) rider though as he is a newbie and not a very courageous descender there may be some brake dragging going on. The terrain around here is mostly rolling but we have absolutely nothing that could be called mountains and barely any proper hills.

Broady

by Broady

MayhemSWE wrote:Will soon be building up a disc braked road bike with most likely a Sram Force 22 groupset. Sram says to use 160 mm rotors for road use but for aesthetics I'd prefer them smaller. Anyone have experience using Centerline X 140 mm rotors for road use? Or anyone tried the new Shimano Ultegra RT-800 rotors in general or with Sram calipers in particular?

This bike will be used by a fairly light (probably around 70 kg) rider though as he is a newbie and not a very courageous descender there may be some brake dragging going on. The terrain around here is mostly rolling but we have absolutely nothing that could be called mountains and barely any proper hills.

140 should be fine, I'd personally go 160 F 140 R.

simoncx

by simoncx

140mm rotors are fine unless you ride very hilly roads with long decents, I have 160 f and 140 r and I think the 160 in the front is alittle overkill most of the time. Centerline x 140mm rotors or rt-99 are very good, stop well and are silent nothing bad to say about them I think it comes down to which rotor you think looks better.

5DII

by 5DII

are there any material differences between ultegra and dura ace rotors? 10g difference for the 140mm

K4m1k4z3

by K4m1k4z3

5DII wrote:
Tue Jan 09, 2018 6:38 pm
are there any material differences between ultegra and dura ace rotors? 10g difference for the 140mm
Anodized vs Painted spider. No difference in the materials. Tech specs speak of 8g @ 140mm and 10g @ 160mm difference.
'24 S-Works Tarmac SL8 RTP - soon™
'22 Tarmac SL7 Expert | Ultegra R8100 | Alpinist CL / Custom Rapide CLX 2x60
'19 Diverge E5 Comp
'18 Epic HT Comp Carbon WMN
'18 TCR Adv Pro 1 Disc

superdx

by superdx

simoncx wrote:
Tue Oct 24, 2017 1:33 pm
140mm rotors are fine unless you ride very hilly roads with long decents, I have 160 f and 140 r and I think the 160 in the front is alittle overkill most of the time. Centerline x 140mm rotors or rt-99 are very good, stop well and are silent nothing bad to say about them I think it comes down to which rotor you think looks better.
What pads are you using for the silence? I'm guessing not metallic sintered.

Titusrider

by Titusrider

Verified weights on my scales for interest of the new shimano r9100 and r8000 series rotors

160mm ultegra (silver fin): 126g
140mm ultegra (silver fin): 106g

Then I was a tart and decided to send those back and get the dura ace ones
160mm dura ace (black fin): 118g (-8g)
140mm dura ace (black fin): 101g (-5g)

(Sorry for no pics!)

simoncx

by simoncx

superdx wrote:
Wed Jan 10, 2018 7:18 am
simoncx wrote:
Tue Oct 24, 2017 1:33 pm
What pads are you using for the silence? I'm guessing not metallic sintered.
I've been using the organic sram and shimano, I've never used the metallic ones unless it's a very muddy mtb or cross race. So far they have been pretty silent for the most part, after I wash the bike sometimes there loud for the first couple hard stops and it goes away. One thing I learned is I always cover the rotor and caliper with a rag when cleaning my chain because even the smallest bit of degreaser gets in the pads and they squeal like crazy.

jeanjacques

by jeanjacques

On the "Madone disc spotted" thread:
joejack951 wrote:
Mon Jun 04, 2018 7:31 pm
Odd to see them using XTR rotors.
https://weightweenies.starbike.com/foru ... 5#p1404387

Not the first time we saw this disc used on pro team. I'm not sure but seem to see less problem with this model than with Dura-Ace one ?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

madik

by madik

jeanjacques wrote:
Tue Jun 05, 2018 12:10 pm
On the "Madone disc spotted" thread:
joejack951 wrote:
Mon Jun 04, 2018 7:31 pm
Odd to see them using XTR rotors.
https://weightweenies.starbike.com/foru ... 5#p1404387

Not the first time we saw this disc used on pro team. I'm not sure but seem to see less problem with this model than with Dura-Ace one ?
I think they just use what they already have in their trucks. Throwing away brand new XTR rotors would be a waste :)
Some other new Madone is on Dura Ace rotors.
https://www.matosvelo.fr/index.php?post ... phine-2018
Functionality > Performance > Weight