BSA 68 support for 30[mm] crank axle

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Shmitt

by Shmitt

Bike has standard BSA68 support, and I want to ask about proper support for cranks with 30[mm] axle like Rotor 3D+ and FSA K-Force Light BB386EVO.

I want to buy supports from c-bear:

https://www.c-bear.com/en/products/bott ... a-bsa-only

https://www.c-bear.com/en/products/bsa-rotor-30mm

What can You tell about them? Generally is worth going for 30[mm] crank for BSA68? Or should go for smaller axle?
What can You tell about bearings durability? Should I looking for any problems with those kind of support and cranks?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

mr4fox

by mr4fox

If i understand the question correctly you want to know about using a bb30 crankset (with 30mm axle) on a frame designed for bsa68(English 68mm designed for a 24mm axle) right?

The bottom bracket (the hole) in the frame with the bsa68 is a smaller diameter than the hole in a frame that uses bb30. You can find bottom brackets that will fit a bsa68 frame and let you use the larger axle diameter of the bb30 cranks but this means the bearing have to be smaller (thinner) to allow for both the smaller hole in the frame and the larger crank axle.

I emailed Enduro (bearings) about this a few years ago and they said that, while they do sell the necessary bottom brackets to make it work, If is once I was buying a new crank I would be better off just buying the 24mm version and using a normal English threaded bottom bracket as the bearing would be larger and would last longer.

So I've never actually tried it myself. Makes sense that the smaller bearing would wear considerably faster. Hopefully others with first hand experience can offer more advice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Attermann

by Attermann

I use a praxis chainset, on a bb86 frame that I use for foul wheather, and that works just perfect, it has lasted pretty long and has seen a lot of rain.

Shmitt

by Shmitt

I know that in the cups bearings has larger inner diameter , and in all are thinnner that standard for 24mm axle, or sram gxp.
what i wanted to know, do I need anticipated more problems with this kind of bearings, support, than standard 24mm.

Yes crankset with 30[mm] axle for BSA68 english threaded

bikerjulio

by bikerjulio

since the bearings are external to the frame there is no need for them to be smaller than say a shimano hollowtech. in fact they are simply a larger version. why should there be a problem? The bearings can be as big as necessary.

There's sometimes a buggy.
How many drivers does a buggy have?

One.

So let's just say I'm drivin' this buggy...
and if you fix your attitude you can ride along with me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GekiIMh4ZkM

AZR3

by AZR3

I have an older 2011 Cervelo S3 which is BSA, before they moved to BBRight bottom bracket, and I currently have a wheels mfg BSA30 bottom bracket with a Rotor 3D+ crank installed with over 10k miles on the set up without issue.
There are a few different manufactures of BSA30 bottom brackets, some of the bearing cups are slightly thinner but they typically came with thin spacers to adjust any lateral play.

Shmitt

by Shmitt

Okay, so do not need worry , and can take cranksets with 30[mm] axle..

jekyll man

by jekyll man

Basically you'll need a "long length" version ie like the 3D+ or 386 evo.
A true BB30 will not be long enough.
Official cafe stop tester

Shmitt

by Shmitt

Basically you'll need a "long length" version ie like the 3D+ or 386 evo.

and I wrote:

Bike has standard BSA68 support, and I want to ask about proper support for cranks with 30[mm] axle like Rotor 3D+ and FSA K-Force Light BB386EVO.

Flapmeat

by Flapmeat

jekyll man wrote:Basically you'll need a "long length" version ie like the 3D+ or 386 evo.

Correct. Quarq cranksets will also work (aside from Red) as they all have long BB30 spindles. If there's a threaded, removable adjuster on the cranksets, it will work with BSA30 cups

bikerjulio

by bikerjulio

If there's a threaded, removable adjuster on the cranksets, it will work with BSA30 cups

No. Those spindles are BB30 lengthened by about 5mm for the adjustable spacer.

BB386 evo spindles are substantially longer.
There's sometimes a buggy.
How many drivers does a buggy have?

One.

So let's just say I'm drivin' this buggy...
and if you fix your attitude you can ride along with me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GekiIMh4ZkM

Select

by Select

Greetings to everyone ! Reviving in order to ask a simple question.
Im about to install a 386evo crankset in my bsa frame. I have the cranks and waiting for my cups to come.
I suppose that i will need a different cup tool than my old shimano one right ?
Thanks a lot in advance !

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

Select wrote:
Sat Nov 16, 2019 8:30 am
Greetings to everyone ! Reviving in order to ask a simple question.
Im about to install a 386evo crankset in my bsa frame. I have the cranks and waiting for my cups to come.
I suppose that i will need a different cup tool than my old shimano one right ?
Thanks a lot in advance !

Yes, and not all BSA30 cups use the same tool. FSA MegaExo is different than Rotor or RaceFace Cinch for example. Hope has their own tool as well.

Select

by Select

Greetings again!
Finally got the cups in my hand but i think i have some more technical questions.
As the name suggests , a 386evo crankset was designed to press fit a frame of 86.5mm wide right ?
So starting from this point i suppose that my frame width (68mm) plus the width of the two threaded cups should equal around 86mm and the wavy washer will take the tolerances right ?
Im asking because the cups are a bit smaller to make the correct width. But the cups were supplied with some spacers.
So , my question is that i put them both DS and NDS or it doesnt matter ?
I suppose that it has to do with the chainline but i have no data for this matter.
Thanks in advance !
Attachments
Καταγραφή.PNG

FactoryMatt

by FactoryMatt

this is what you want. i wouldn't bother with Kogel. Their shields/inserts are weird and tolerances IME haven't been good.

https://www.bbinfinite.com/products/bsa ... 2906133507

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com