whats the difference in these red cranks

Discuss light weight issues concerning road bikes & parts.
Post Reply
freshlegs
Posts: 57
Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2009 10:30 pm
Contact:

by freshlegs

Hi

What is the difference with these Red cranks? Will they both bit on a Evo BB30a ?

Image

and

Image

Thank you

jlok
Posts: 363
Joined: Tue Jun 30, 2015 3:30 am

by jlok

1st one is like Quarq ready as it looks like you could remove the spider.

The 2nd one is probably the BB30 version.

by Weenie


Hexsense
Posts: 323
Joined: Wed Dec 30, 2015 12:41 am

by Hexsense

First one is BB386 Quarq power meter ready version. It is heavier.

Second one is BB30 (and PF30) specific version. this is lighter with non-removable spider.

Marin
Posts: 2562
Joined: Wed Jan 22, 2014 11:48 am
Location: Vienna Austria

by Marin

1st one is a Force crank branded Red. Force has a removeable spider to use a power meter.

1st one is also a compact.

The 2nd one is a proper Red with hollow arms and hidden 5th bolt and itegrated spider. It's also a classic 130mm bolt circle.

User avatar
ergott
Posts: 2716
Joined: Tue Apr 18, 2006 3:03 am
Location: Islip, NY
Contact:

by ergott

Marin wrote:1st one is a Force crank branded Red. Force has a removeable spider to use a power meter.

1st one is also a compact.

The 2nd one is a proper Red with hollow arms and hidden 5th bolt and itegrated spider. It's also a classic 130mm bolt circle.



The Red arms are in fact lighter than Force. I have both on my bikes.




Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

sungod
Posts: 1413
Joined: Fri Dec 24, 2010 9:37 pm
Location: it's raining, it must be uk

by sungod

the first looks like the s900/s950 crankset, as above this has a removable spider making the cranks usable for powermeters

s950 is 110bcd, s900 is 130bcd, cranks/spindle are the same, the spindle is bb30/bb30a/pf30 compatible, only the spider differs, the cranksets come with various spacers and have the integrated adjuster

my srm uses the same cranks

Valbrona
Posts: 1482
Joined: Fri Oct 28, 2011 3:25 am
Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland

by Valbrona

People have discovered that any SRAM crankset with a 30mm axle and plastic preload ring can be made to work with a BB30a shell by replacing the preload ring with spacers and wave washer.

rideintospace
Posts: 71
Joined: Wed May 07, 2014 2:06 pm

by rideintospace

Hexsense wrote:First one is BB386 Quarq power meter ready version. It is heavier.

Second one is BB30 (and PF30) specific version. this is lighter with non-removable spider.


This is the most important point for you - the spindle size determines the compatibility with your frame. The top BB386 crank has a spindle that is wider than your frame (86mm wide x 30mm diameter) and will either require spacers on both sides of the bottom bracket or an alternative bottom bracket to widen the bearings from the body of your frame, which is 73mm wide. The second crank has a 68mm x 30mm spindle and (edit) WILL fit your frame using the method described in the thread linked 2 posts below.

You specified a "BB30a" bottom bracket, which I think means that you're looking for an 86mm x 30 or 24mm spindle that will fit adapters that press into the frame to widen the bottom bracket area from 73mm to 86mm width. For this type of bottom bracket, you would need a SRAM Force style BB30 crank (the top photo), any SRAM GXP or any modern Shimano crank with hollowtech spindle.
Last edited by rideintospace on Sat May 06, 2017 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

deek
Posts: 406
Joined: Fri Aug 31, 2012 6:32 pm

by deek

rideintospace wrote:The second crank has a 68mm x 30mm spindle and will NOT fit your frame.


This is not correct. Both cranks will fit in your frame. The top one you can remove the 5mm NDS spacer and use the threaded preload adjuster. The bottom one you can remove the threaded preload adjuster and use plastic shims and a wave washer like Valbrona mentioned.

The second one is much lighter. The first one is also not the same as Force but it is close. The first one is hollow (Exogram) while the Force version is not.

The only reason to go with the top one is if you're going to eventually use a powermeter or you want to use it on a BB386 frame.

by Weenie


rideintospace
Posts: 71
Joined: Wed May 07, 2014 2:06 pm

by rideintospace

deek wrote:
rideintospace wrote:The second crank has a 68mm x 30mm spindle and will NOT fit your frame.


This is not correct. Both cranks will fit in your frame. The top one you can remove the 5mm NDS spacer and use the threaded preload adjuster. The bottom one you can remove the threaded preload adjuster and use plastic shims and a wave washer like Valbrona mentioned.

The second one is much lighter. The first one is also not the same as Force but it is close. The first one is hollow (Exogram) while the Force version is not.

The only reason to go with the top one is if you're going to eventually use a powermeter or you want to use it on a BB386 frame.


Thank you for the correction - I read this thread which gave a good explanation.

Post Reply
  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post