HOT: Active* forum members generally gain 5% discount at starbike.com store!
Weight Weenies
* FAQ    * Search    * Trending Topics
* Login   * Register
HOME Listings Articles FAQ Contact About

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2004 6:40 am 

Anybody ridden these? I'm looking for a tire I can ride on the road without flatting every other ride. How about Veloflex Pavé?

Posted: Sat Mar 06, 2004 6:40 am 

Post subject: Veloflex
PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2004 8:41 am 

Haven't riden my velfoflex black yet. (same as pave, but black)
I just got them a few days ago. And let me tell you, they are a pain to get on the rim without sacrificing the "shlong" :o I had to use wather to lubricate the rubber and mostly by hand force the tyre on the rim. My finger were aking the whole next day. But they look so good once on the rim, that they just gotta be the best tyres out there! :lol:

Post subject: Re: Veloflex
PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2004 8:52 am 

Jazzer wrote:
Haven't riden my velfoflex black yet. (same as pave, but black)
I just got them a few days ago. And let me tell you, they are a pain to get on the rim without sacrificing the "shlong" :o I had to use wather to lubricate the rubber and mostly by hand force the tyre on the rim. My finger were aking the whole next day. But they look so good once on the rim, that they just gotta be the best tyres out there! :lol:

I have Veloflex black too, they are a bit difficult, but I didn't need water, etc.; they seem fine to put on :!: : anyway they are super tires :)

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2004 9:18 am 

bikenerd wrote:
Anybody ridden these? I'm looking for a tire I can ride on the road without flatting every other ride. How about Veloflex Pavé?

i may have the tire for you :wink: tufo elite road http://www.worldclasscycles.com/tufo_clincher_works.htm here is a little something about them i didnt know. you can inflate to whatever pressure you want on any clicncher rim. "all pressure is containerd by the tire, not the rim."

440 tpi under tread high mileage tire. has a puncture proof ply, and under that it has another protective rubber ply. very good in the rain.

tufo elite road 315g no tube needed. i would say its the same weight as a MICHELIN pro race 220g with a tube 80g - well im off 15g but its a great tire. they make a lighter version (Tufo JET) 240g with the same protective and punchture proof ply - less mileage and more expensive.

what type of mileage would someone get from a Veloflex black and a Veloflex Record?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2004 3:18 pm 

I drove 2000 miles on the Veloflex Paves. Also on very bad roads in poland and france. Very comfortable and No flat! And I think they´re good for another 1000 -2000 miles.
But You need strong hands to put them on the rim.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2004 4:28 pm 

i have about 500 miles on a set of the kenda kaliente iron cloak tires. thus far, they are going well. they roll fast, corner well, and are light. time will tell if i rate them with the michelin pro race that i am partial to. light weight they are. both tires were within a few grams of the 165gm indicated on their packaging.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2004 5:05 pm 

anyone know the mileage on the veloflex record? i might try them out, if mileage is from 1000 - 2000 miles.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2004 5:16 pm 

spytech wrote:
anyone know the mileage on the veloflex record? i might try them out, if mileage is from 1000 - 2000 miles.

You could probably get that mileage from them if they didn't get slashed by glass first. The casing and tread are real thin.

The lightest tire I use is the Veloflex Corsa, a little heavier than the Record, but worth it I think.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2004 5:27 pm 

i was thinking about it the record becuase of the weight. could lose almost 200 grams. but if i were to get the corsa i would just upgrade to the Tufo elite jet, which would put me around the same weight.

anyone here ridden the tufo's and the veloflex? give some opinion on both tires.

TIA

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2004 5:30 pm 

spytech wrote:
i was thinking about it the record becuase of the weight. could lose almost 200 grams. but if i were to get the corsa i would just upgrade to the Tufo elite jet, which would put me around the same weight.

anyone here ridden the tufo's and the veloflex? give some opinion on both tires.

TIA

Yeah but would it make any difference on your boat anchors? :twisted:

I've only used Tufo tubulars, the clinchers remind me too much of the Clement 2001 back in the 80's, and those were dogs, mainly because the unsupported tire inside the rim could squirm, causing high rolling resistance and bad cornering characteristics.

Post subject:
Posted: Sat Mar 06, 2004 5:30 pm 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2004 5:45 pm 

hey dont make fun of my wheels...lol :roll: they hold up with these nyc pot holes. only reason i havent changed them, is i am not sure of another light weight alternative that will hold up.

hmm, you should give the tufo tub/clin a try, and i should give the veloflex corsa a try, i dont think the record would hold up here, to much glass on my way to central park thru riverside dr.