Weight Weenies
* FAQ    * Search    * Trending Topics
* Login   * Register
HOME Listings Blog NEW Galleries NEW FAQ Contact About Impressum
It is currently Sat Nov 25, 2017 3:19 am

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2017 8:43 pm 

I'm looking for a new power meter, preferably crank based, either on the spider or crank arms. I narrowed it down to the Quarq DFour (Shimano DA9000 drivetrain here), or sending my crank to 4iiii to have their dual-sided Precision Pro installed on it.

Quarq pros:
-looks
-reputable brand
-Bluetooth & ANT+
- +/-1.5% accuracy*

Quarq cons:
-more expensive than the 4iiii
-weight. Heavier than the 4iiii
-I would need a new bottom bracket, which adds to the cost.
-not a 'true' dual-sided measurement. From what I understand it estimates left/right power balance.
-everyone seems to be sold out of them right now, so there would be a wait.

4iiii pros:
-price. I can send them my crank and have it installed, which saves me money
-weight
-no bottom bracket to switch out
- +/-1% accuracy*
-true dual-sided power measurement
-Bluetooth & ANT+

4iiii cons:
-fairly newish company, with perhaps not the reputation of Quarq (although they sponsor a couple of pro teams).
-sending my crank in means not being able to ride my bike for two or three weeks until I get the crank back.
-dual-sided requires two batteries, instead of just one on the Quarq

*I read that you should take these accuracy claims with a grain of salt.

So what say you, gentle reader? Has anyone had any experiences with either the Quarq DFour or 4iiii Precision Pro?

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2017 8:52 pm 

Have you considered FSA's Powerbox as well? Power2Max based tech selling at $600 in aluminum/$850 in carbon with chainrings.

Posted: Wed May 03, 2017 8:52 pm 

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 2:02 am 

I have a stages 2nd Gen on a DA-9000 arm and a Quarq Dzero Red, not exactly what you are asking about but close.. I wouldn't worry about left right. Power consistency is about the only thing that maters. Power between the two units I have is basically the same and in real world use I go between both no issues at all. That said when I did the balance on the Dzero (which is estimated based on crank angle as Quarq is total power at the spider) I basically come up 50-50, maybe up and down 1 or 2 at the most either side. Unless you have a major issue with your power balance (from an injury or the like) the consensus is generally it doesn't have an impact.

The build quality, my stages is flimsy due to the battery door, this was improved in the 2nd Gen but as with 4iiii it is inherently fiddly and delicate as you are working with very thin plastic battery doors. The Quarq has a solid screw on metal cap, this is a major step up. The Stages is fine but I did have drop out issues to the weak broadcast signal and antenna. Quarq have a very strong antenna so I've had solid performance. 4iiii may not have the stages issues but the design similarities do make me think.

If I could only choose one system now after using crank arm stuck on or spider based it would be a no brainer for me to go spider based. SRM was always too expensive for me and sending away to have an internal battery replaced in this day and age is bonkers, $2 coin cell and 30sec thank you. Choosing which spider based crank for me would be based on my frame and group, I think you can't go wrong with P2M or Quarq. If price makes those not possible 4iiii would be fine, but be ready for some issues along the way and as I did with stages a little desire to upgrade!

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 3:16 am 

Try to avoid 4iiii / Stage (crankarm attachement style) PM as they could interfere with Direct Mount brakes at chain stays.

Concur with the idea of left/right individual power measurement. Not much training value at the moment. Consider it as nice to have but not critical.

DZero user here (ex Vector 2 user), very happy with the stability. Fires up 100%, nothing fancy, just work.

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 3:58 am 

I just looked at the prices, buy the Quarq from a good place like starbike and be done with it. 4iiii is way too expensive for what it is...

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 5:43 am 

bremerradkurier wrote:
Have you considered FSA's Powerbox as well? Power2Max based tech selling at $600 in aluminum/$850 in carbon with chainrings.

I haven't really considered it. Is it available to order now? Plus I'm kind of hesitant to order something that I haven't read any reviews of.

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 5:52 am 

sp3000 wrote:
I just looked at the prices, buy the Quarq from a good place like starbike and be done with it. 4iiii is way too expensive for what it is...

Starbike seems to be out of stock on the Quarqs. They are on for a good price though, subtracting the VAT it's quite close in price to the 4iiii. Although Starbike ships via DHL, which means brokerage and taxes are likely.

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 6:02 am 

I should note that I have used a first generation Stages in the past, with no issues of it hitting my chainstay or anything like that. I take it that the 4iiii would be the same. They have a test you can do to tell if there is enough clearance between the chainstay and the pod, just place a AAA battery between the left crank arm and the chainstay. If there is space between the two then you are OK.

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 8:43 am 

jspaceman wrote:
sp3000 wrote:

Starbike seems to be out of stock on the Quarqs. They are on for a good price though, subtracting the VAT it's quite close in price to the 4iiii. Although Starbike ships via DHL, which means brokerage and taxes are likely.

They use DHL post, and they sort out customs :wink: If you order from them it will all depend on the German distributors stock as to how fast you'll get it, but for me they are worth buying from. I'm in Australia, very cheap shipping, no VAT and no duty. Happy days, other than maybe a slight wait.

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 8:43 am 

jspaceman wrote:
I should note that I have used a first generation Stages in the past, with no issues of it hitting my chainstay or anything like that. I take it that the 4iiii would be the same. They have a test you can do to tell if there is enough clearance between the chainstay and the pod, just place a AAA battery between the left crank arm and the chainstay. If there is space between the two then you are OK.

things to check are the direct mount brakes.

e.g. direct mount brakes on Scott Foil, need some DIY to make it work...

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 1:57 pm 

That's pretty close.

I don't have direct mount brakes on my chainstay though so that shouldn't be an issue.

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 2:49 pm 

jspaceman wrote:
bremerradkurier wrote:

I haven't really considered it. Is it available to order now? Plus I'm kind of hesitant to order something that I haven't read any reviews of.

Ribble and Merlin both have some availability for the alloy version, but some of the chainring combos, especially 52/36, are in short supply.

I understand a DC Rainmaker review is pending.

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 3:24 pm 

Not that you asked, but I have a quarq Dzero red PM. My first power meter, and I love it. Zero problems so far. Totally stable and works a charm. I got mine from Starbike. I had to wait a while (about 2 months) but it came sooner than they said it would.

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 1:26 pm 

I've tested a 4iii precision on a Shimano 105 crankarm (single system) over a month and no issues so far.
Unfortunately no experience with the Quarq DFour.

Posted: Fri May 05, 2017 1:26 pm 

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 7:12 pm 

How durable are the housing/pod thingees on the Precision Pro?