Cannondale SI chainset lateral movement?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

MisterEd

by MisterEd

I recently bought a used Cannondale CAAD 10 frameset (~2014) which came with the Hollowgram SI chainset installed.

On having a look over it I’ve noticed that there is some lateral movement which is worrying.

It’s best shown here in this video I took:

https://youtu.be/EvG_OsbOZ-w

This pic shows the set up on the non drive side:

Here is it after being dismantled:

After disassembling, picture shows from left to right:

Crank arm fixing bolt
Chainset / Drive side arm

2.6mm spacer

bearing shield/cover
bearing shield/cover

Wave washer
7.5mm non drive side spacer

Non drive side crank
Crank arm fixing bolt

Here is the spindle, which measures 109mm:

Bearings feel ok and show no signs of movement

I’ve got hollowgram SISL and SISL2 on other bikes and have never had an issue.

Any ideas about what's going on?
Attachments
Non drive side set up
Non drive side set up
109mm Spindle
109mm Spindle
Dismantled
Dismantled

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Kurets

by Kurets

You seem to be missing a bunch of thin spacers which go next to the wave washer to ensure that it is compressed enough for removing play. I think any Cannondale dealer can hook you up with the parts cheaply.
Edit: also a bb30a crankset in a BB30 frame would end up like that as the spindle is 5mm(?) longer.

MisterEd

by MisterEd

Thanks for your reply, I thought those spacers weren't needed on the si but looks like you're right:

Thanks!

Kurets

by Kurets

Now that I look at it more, it seems more like you have a BB30A crank in a BB30 frame than missing spacers. The effect would be 5mm excess spindle which would not allow for adequate compression of the wave washer. I suppose you can solve this using spacers, but the proper spindle and NDS arm will be the best solution (least of a bodge).

deek

by deek

It is the same spindle and crank regardless if it's for BB30 or BB30A. The only thing that's different is the NDS spacer (7.5mm vs. 2.5mm). He has the correct spacer.

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

I worked on an almost new Cannondale Evo about the same vintage I think and looked pretty much the same when brought to me. Basically the shop it was purchased at hadn't torqued down the crank nearly enough so it wasn't even compressing the wavy washer. Looked like yours. Try torquing it to spec with a proper torque wrench before doing anything else. In my case that's all that was needed, at least for that issue. I also reinstalled the PF30 BB which was a creaking mess. Cleaned it up and used loctite 609 plus primer and not a problem since.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

MisterEd

by MisterEd

Calnago wrote:I worked on an almost new Cannondale Evo about the same vintage I think and looked pretty much the same when brought to me. Basically the shop it was purchased at hadn't torqued down the crank nearly enough so it wasn't even compressing the wavy washer. Looked like yours. Try torquing it to spec with a proper torque wrench before doing anything else. In my case that's all that was needed, at least for that issue. I also reinstalled the PF30 BB which was a creaking mess. Cleaned it up and used loctite 609 plus primer and not a problem since.

Thanks, my first thought was maybe it hadn't been tightened properly so I took it apart, cleaned it and put it back together. I don't have a 40 Nm torque wrench but it was on pretty tight, I would have had trouble tightening it any further.

I've ordered some spacers so hopefully that'll help. I'm a bit surprised thought that you need 0-3, 0.5mm spacers. Are the tolerances that variable?

This diagram shows the spacers too:

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

40Nm is quite a lot. Not sure if "pretty tight" = 40Nm. Looks like you'd need more than 1.5mm of spacers to take up that slack.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

evan326

by evan326

Are you SURE the 2014 isn't the 104mm spindle???

glepore

by glepore

It changed in 2012. See the tech sheet above. See the photo which shows that there is approx 5mm of bare spindle. He's missing a stack of spacers. Usually you start with 4 or so, he has none.

Or, one other thing to check, the spindle has a drive side and an non-drive side. One side, I believe the drive, has a longer "offset" from the bearings. There is a marking on the face of the spindle which indicates which is which. It might be in backwards.
Cysco Ti custom Campy SR mechanical (6.9);Berk custom (5.6); Serotta Ottrott(6.8) ; Anvil Custom steel Etap;1996 Colnago Technos Record

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

topflightpro

by topflightpro

I ran the exact same setup. I think you need a couple of the thin spacers as well as to torque both sides to spec.

My torque wrench that goes up to 40nm is about 18-inches long. Even with the leverage that length provides, it's pretty tough to torque to spec.