Weight Weenies
* FAQ    * Search    * Trending Topics
* Login   * Register
HOME Listings Blog NEW Galleries NEW FAQ Contact About Impressum
It is currently Fri Dec 15, 2017 8:04 am

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 5:55 am 

Y26 wrote:

By immediately what we are saying is, don't forget the chain. The first oxidation occurs within minutes. Rinse it, give it a good shake, wipe it down then alcohol. I wouldn't leave it unprotected longer than 15 min. It won't ruin the chain but it'll look less nice.

You can leave it in the alcohol as long as you want. Having poured the alcohol already it's a bit of a waste not to let it sit a bit before disposing. But it's not necessary.

Water and paraffin doesnt mate well together so we need a way to dry it off. Coming out of the alcohol it dries very quickly. Feels very clean.

/a

Posted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 5:55 am 

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 6:13 am 

I remember watching one episode on GCN where they swear using nothing but WD-40 to clean and lube the drivetrain. Has anyone used WD-40? I have found WD-40 to be extremely effective at cleaning the chainrings. It dissolves the gunk very quickly. However I have never tried using it as a lube.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 7:03 am 

I've done the WD40 method and I'm of the opinion it works fine but if you want a clean chain wax seems the way to go. If you clean and wax several chains at once it really isn't that much work.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 6:23 pm 

I subscribe to the very clean drivetrain, but not obsessive method. I use 2 chains per bike with one cleaned and lubed ready to go on. Chains are cleaned in an ultrasonic cleaner every other use. I clean with water and Dawn dishwashing liquid in the UC which is heated. Run for 20 minutes and comes out pretty clean. Rinse with fresh water, wipe down with rag. Then immerse in a container with Lillylube for a minute, then remove and let excess lube run off and evaporate the solvent. After a day or so, wipe the chain down and place in a baggie for its next use. When installing this chain for its next use, wipe down again and ride. After ride wipe down again with a rag with Lillylube on it. Chain looks brand new still. Usually repeat this process for 2-3 rides until the next Ultrasonic bath. Chain is very quiet, relatively clean for several hundred miles. When wiping down I also wipe the chainrings and cassette. I try to save 3-4 chains off of several bikes to give them their baths all at the same time. Best method I have found for cassette cleaning is to use strips of tee-shirt material. will not catch on the teeth and does a nice job. Normal rags catch and shred.

Has anyone used WendWax ?. Very popular in Southern California. Application is rub on and simpler than Molten.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xmw0fo6VZjY
https://wendperformance.myshopify.com/c ... /wend-bike

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 8:31 pm 

szazbo wrote:
I subscribe to the very clean drivetrain, but not obsessive method. I use 2 chains per bike with one cleaned and lubed ready to go on. Chains are cleaned in an ultrasonic cleaner every other use. I clean with water and Dawn dishwashing liquid in the UC which is heated. Run for 20 minutes and comes out pretty clean. Rinse with fresh water, wipe down with rag. Then immerse in a container with Lillylube for a minute, then remove and let excess lube run off and evaporate the solvent. After a day or so, wipe the chain down and place in a baggie for its next use. When installing this chain for its next use, wipe down again and ride. After ride wipe down again with a rag with Lillylube on it. Chain looks brand new still. Usually repeat this process for 2-3 rides until the next Ultrasonic bath. Chain is very quiet, relatively clean for several hundred miles. When wiping down I also wipe the chainrings and cassette. I try to save 3-4 chains off of several bikes to give them their baths all at the same time. Best method I have found for cassette cleaning is to use strips of tee-shirt material. will not catch on the teeth and does a nice job. Normal rags catch and shred.

Has anyone used WendWax ?. Very popular in Southern California. Application is rub on and simpler than Molten.

Do you ride everyday? This whole process to me uickly got old when you ride daily.

2018 BMC SLR01

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 9:50 pm 

pdlpsher1 wrote:
I remember watching one episode on GCN where they swear using nothing but WD-40 to clean and lube the drivetrain. Has anyone used WD-40? I have found WD-40 to be extremely effective at cleaning the chainrings. It dissolves the gunk very quickly. However I have never tried using it as a lube.

WD-40 is a very light oil in a solvent. Not the greatest chain lube. My biggest problem with WD-40 is the over spray. It splatter's everywhere. I don't want to get it on my wheels or frame.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 11:20 pm 

szazbo wrote:

How does Wendwax actually get into the rollers? Seems a little like marketing hype based off MSW data...